Jess031101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have been set this 40 mark essay:
'The teachings of the Buddha were largely based on ideas that were already current in his society.' Discuss.
I do not have any ideas on how his teachings were based on current ideas in his society or how they were not based on current ideas in his society.
Can anybody help me with a few ideas on what to write about, please?
username4003948
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jess031101)
I have been set this 40 mark essay:
'The teachings of the Buddha were largely based on ideas that were already current in his society.' Discuss.
I do not have any ideas on how his teachings were based on current ideas in his society or how they were not based on current ideas in his society.
Can anybody help me with a few ideas on what to write about, please?
Buddhism is kind of an offshoot/adaptation of Hinduism, which had been India's main faith system for a very long time before Buddhism was conceived. So perhaps you should research what were considered the main/most important tenets of Hinduism in the popular consensus at the time when Buddhism was emerging.
Jess031101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by insouciancedward)
Buddhism is kind of an offshoot/adaptation of Hinduism, which had been India's main faith system for a very long time before Buddhism was conceived. So perhaps you should research what were considered the main/most important tenets of Hinduism in the popular consensus at the time when Buddhism was emerging.
Thank you, that was so useful and it has helped me a lot
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by insouciancedward)
Far too strong a claim, really. it's not wholly supported apart from outliers like Christian Lindtner (who also qualifies it very carefully and states that we have no actual evidence that the Buddha was at all concerned with Vedantic orthodoxy), TRV Murti (who thought that Buddhism amounted to a poor man's Advaita), or Hindutva advocates that bang on about the Buddha being an avatara of Visnu. Nevertheless the implications that you allude to are right: India's cultural heritage of dharma religions all share core bases like rebirth and karma (though the Buddhsit conception of it is way different to that of the Hindus). They share soem emphasis on yoga and some types of meditation techniques.

Aside from that we have mostly differences, especially in early Buddhism: little emphasis on caste; comparatively little emphasis on ritual; differing cosmologies; rejection of the Vedas; different soteriology; rejection of brahman and atman.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (322)
56%
I don't have everything I need (253)
44%

Watched Threads