Can’t tell if I dislike my job or if I just don’t like working.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Basically I’m a few months into a new job since graduating from uni, it’s actually on paper a pretty decent grad entry role as it pays quite well, is easy to commute to and is at a prestigious company but I’m just not sure if it’s for me. My plan is to do this for a year and then evaluate what I want to do in life but I’m not sure if I’ll ever know and it could also be because I just like the idea of giving myself an end point (like at school/uni). My worry is also that during my appraisal they mentioned training me up to move further up, I just nodded and said yes but I’m not sure if I actually want that and I’m a bit worried if it will look bad if I leave in say 6-8 months.

I don’t really enjoy what I do and whilst it’s mostly pretty easy/mundane tasks I’m very stressed as it’s in a legal environment so if you make a mistake people get very pissy and everyone is constantly stressed so yeah it’s a bit cutthroat. However, I don’t know what other jobs are like, maybe every job is stressful like this and I’m just struggling to work in a normal environment. I hate getting up at 6am every weekday but I know the 9-5 schedule is just normal and that’s just life although I just wish I had more free time. I feel like I’m living for weekends and then they’re gone in a flash. No one really talks at work so little chance of making friendships and two of the people near me I don’t even really like. The job isn’t really relevant to my degree which I’m wondering may be why I’m bored of it as it’s just not something I’m interested in but it’s very difficult to find anything related to my degree.

Anyway does anyone else feel like they’re struggling to adjust to working life since leaving uni. I can’t tell if I don’t like my job, don’t like working in general and if I’m just lazy.
TechnoFeudalism
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I just wouldnt bother turning up. Its often very difficult to do the right thing even when you want to work hard and support the team.
royal1990
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Basically I’m a few months into a new job since graduating from uni, it’s actually on paper a pretty decent grad entry role as it pays quite well, is easy to commute to and is at a prestigious company but I’m just not sure if it’s for me. My plan is to do this for a year and then evaluate what I want to do in life but I’m not sure if I’ll ever know and it could also be because I just like the idea of giving myself an end point (like at school/uni). My worry is also that during my appraisal they mentioned training me up to move further up, I just nodded and said yes but I’m not sure if I actually want that and I’m a bit worried if it will look bad if I leave in say 6-8 months.

I don’t really enjoy what I do and whilst it’s mostly pretty easy/mundane tasks I’m very stressed as it’s in a legal environment so if you make a mistake people get very pissy and everyone is constantly stressed so yeah it’s a bit cutthroat. However, I don’t know what other jobs are like, maybe every job is stressful like this and I’m just struggling to work in a normal environment. I hate getting up at 6am every weekday but I know the 9-5 schedule is just normal and that’s just life although I just wish I had more free time. I feel like I’m living for weekends and then they’re gone in a flash. No one really talks at work so little chance of making friendships and two of the people near me I don’t even really like. The job isn’t really relevant to my degree which I’m wondering may be why I’m bored of it as it’s just not something I’m interested in but it’s very difficult to find anything related to my degree.

Anyway does anyone else feel like they’re struggling to adjust to working life since leaving uni. I can’t tell if I don’t like my job, don’t like working in general and if I’m just lazy.
I don't want to sound horrible or anything, but I would be very grateful for what you do have. A graduate role, (probably - I assume - paying more than minimum wage), which is offering you a chance to move up. It might not be relevant to your degree, but how many people do you know who are in a job related to their degree? Perhaps you hang about in different circles to me, but my graduate friends are either unemployed, in an unrelated field, or in unskilled work (usually earning peanuts in comparison).

I honestly think you should stick it out, get promoted and move up, accumulate some savings so you can leave and re-evaluate / pursue something else, or see if you can find a role within the same firm that is more aligned to your goals, or that you can cope with. If its big corporate company, you may find that different roles offer different working patterns, so if living for the weekend isn't your thing, find a role where you can have more days off during the week, or be more flexible in your work.

Remember, you have many things that most people do not. Appreciate them.

Hope this helps
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

legal environment, as in you're at a Law firm? what did you expect lol. people do not get into the legal sector to have fun, you go to make money and hopefully retire early.
PixelRainbow.
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I understand how you feel, when I was in my graduate job I found it very hard to get used to the 9-5 lifestyle, especially as beforehand I was working in retail were I had very flexible working hours! However, I did stay at it for a year and a half because I thought it would look good on my CV, and like you, I didn’t really know what else I wanted to.
My contract actually came to an end so I had a few months totally off from work to evaluate my life, this was really useful and refreshing for me because I realised what I wanted in life! I now work in a job that I enjoy, and look forward to! I don’t have the 9-5 job as I realised office lifestyle didn’t suit me at all, I’m now working towards going back to uni next year to do my masters to hopefully move up in my career.
I would definitely keep at it for now, but maybe book a week off work next year and properly sit down with yourself and think about what you want to do. Then you can aim towards those goals
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads