The Student Room Group

Why cant i get a job?

I wanted to get a part time job so I could save up some money before I go to uni, but I've applied so many times to different places and only IKEA has given me an interview (surprise didn't get it) and everyone I know has jobs but won't help me what am I doing wrong??
Hi, I’m wondering if this is because you haven’t had a job before? If so I had the same problem when I was first looking for a retail job, and it took me over a year until someone offered me a role. But I also have a friend who got a job on her first application and interview, and unlike me she didn’t have any volunteering or anything on her CV. So keep trying but I think it’s just a case of finding somewhere that will give you a chance. I’m sure it’s nothing you’re doing wrong. Is there nothing you can do in the meantime to bump up your CV a bit, like clubs or volunteering?
Original post by EmMcG
I wanted to get a part time job so I could save up some money before I go to uni, but I've applied so many times to different places and only IKEA has given me an interview (surprise didn't get it) and everyone I know has jobs but won't help me what am I doing wrong??

It's the competition that's the problem as there are so many people (particularly) students who are looking for the same thing as you.
Also as you have no work experience, this may be the case too because many employers are reluctant to train people who lack experience.
Have you ever thought about volunteering to gain it? A lot of people I know do it solely because to break the vicious circle. It will definitely boost your CV as well as the experience and also develop transferable skills as that is what employers look for in their employees.
Reply 3
Original post by BritishGirl
It's the competition that's the problem as there are so many people (particularly) students who are looking for the same thing as you.
Also as you have no work experience, this may be the case too because many employers are reluctant to train people who lack experience.
Have you ever thought about volunteering to gain it? A lot of people I know do it solely because to break the vicious circle. It will definitely boost your CV as well as the experience and also develop transferable skills as that is what employers look for in their employees.

I do have work experience I worked in a garden centre for a week, did 3 years volunteering at my riding school and volunteered at blue reef aquarium for a week.
Original post by EmMcG

Try mcdonalds, they take on a lot of students.
Original post by EmMcG
I do have work experience I worked in a garden centre for a week, did 3 years volunteering at my riding school and volunteered at blue reef aquarium for a week.

You've got to make the experience you have relevant to the jobs you're applying for - what skills did you learn at the riding school that you could also use in retail or hospitality?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending