agirlcalledtheo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hey Anyone doing Computing on here? What stage is everyone on and how are you enjoying it?
lauren.mcd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'm at National 5 level and I'm doing horrendously! We have our prelims in a few weeks but I'm not very good. I put a lot of work in but it just doesn't come naturally and I freeze when I see a question
agirlcalledtheo
Rep:
?
(Original post by lauren.mcd)
I'm at National 5 level and I'm doing horrendously! We have our prelims in a few weeks but I'm not very good. I put a lot of work in but it just doesn't come naturally and I freeze when I see a question
are you having problems with the imformation/theory or the programming/practical more?
lauren.mcd
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Definitely the practical programming section. Sorry if I came off frantic in the post above. I was freaking out cause I did a past paper and didn’t do to well but now (with the help of my tutor) I’m understanding the question a bit more. What throws me is how the question in the exams are worded.
agirlcalledtheo
Rep:
?
Definitely the practical programming section. Sorry if I came off frantic in the post above. I was freaking out cause I did a past paper and didn’t do to well but now (with the help of my tutor) I’m understanding the question a bit more. What throws me is how the question in the exams are worded.
I completely agree. All the questions come with stories behind them and it would be so much easier if they were direct. I have had problems with that before as well. Thats what i need to work on. Past papers. I actually really like the programming.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
How's everyone getting on with Nat 5 computing?
agirlcalledtheo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
How's everyone getting on with Nat 5 computing?
Good!! Computing is my final exam and so luckily i have more time on it. I am taking it next year and am planning to go to Uni for Computing Science since i have enjoyed N5 so much. Plus my other subjects don't appeal to me as much.
Just got to get my head down and study
agirlcalledtheo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
How did everyone do in the coursework? Did you find the program hard? Did anyone use and array because I didn't but some of my friends did? Also who marked duration as a number or a time? <3
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by agirlcalledtheo)
Good!! Computing is my final exam and so luckily i have more time on it. I am taking it next year and am planning to go to Uni for Computing Science since i have enjoyed N5 so much. Plus my other subjects don't appeal to me as much.
Just got to get my head down and study
Great to hear it's going well! And also that you're enjoying it! Never did it myself, but definitely a field of study that's really important!
Aadilkharl123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
We have done the programming part back in February. Started Rev in March.
clairerennie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don't like computing science
laurareidkay
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
me and you the same claire, get ready for higher xo
(Original post by clairerennie)
I don't like computing science
clairerennie
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Absolutely Buzzing
(Original post by laurareidkay)
lauren.mcd
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
im dropping next year

(Original post by laurareidkay)
laurareidkay
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
nah lauren stay and do higher, need you to get me through xx
im dropping next year
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hello everyone. I’m kind off struggling to be honest... My teacher was not teaching (not joking) and I had to revise from a revision textbook and still got a very good pass in prelim. So my question is: what area should I revise more? (I’ve looked at past papers and it’s confusing a bit). And also I don’t know if it’s in exam or in course but,do we have to describe what is mantissa and exponent as there was in prelim? and I could not answer it (it was not in the revision textbook).
Strelzo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Kubsyy)
Hello everyone. I’m kind off struggling to be honest... My teacher was not teaching (not joking) and I had to revise from a revision textbook and still got a very good pass in prelim. So my question is: what area should I revise more? (I’ve looked at past papers and it’s confusing a bit). And also I don’t know if it’s in exam or in course but,do we have to describe what is mantissa and exponent as there was in prelim? and I could not answer it (it was not in the revision textbook).
Not a big worry, as it is very easy, just need to remember floating point notation, which has the forumla:

Mantissa x10 ^ Exponent (Mantissa x10 to the power of exponent). Which is otherwise known as scientific notation in maths.

For example:

1.0235 x10 ^ 6

Mantissa = 1.0235

Exponent = 6

That's all you need to know for floating point.

As for revising, I would really recommend looking over Software Development (we do visual basic in our school) as it seems to trick out a very high number of students, especially in my class. It's very easy once you get the hang of it, and it just comes with practice, I went from struggling to know what to do, to be able to answer very high levelled questions involving predefined functions, arrays, etc. But also, do remind to not focus all of your energy on the one part of the course, that's just my tip as to what I believe is best to revise.

P.S: I know how you feel about bad teachers, I have (had now) 2 bad teachers, one in French and another in Design and Manufacture (a subject that seemed good at first, but got ruined by my teacher). French; our teacher just puts work up on the board and expects us to know it, thankfully 3 parts of the French course comes from memorising stuff, because I can just sit down and get things into my head. French reading is easy enough, but listening, I'm lucky to get 10/20 on every paper. As for Design and Manufacture, I worked my ass off for 6+ months on my portfolio and model, which hopefully should be enough to get me an A (as I was told it was higher standard by my teacher) if I get at least 40% in the prelim (as we literally know nothing and almost are expected to learn the whole course by ourselves; scrap that, no way am I wasting my time on that).
Last edited by Strelzo; 7 months ago
mijmartin03
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
had a teacher who barely spoke english and still got avg 94% on tests throughout the year - if anyone needs any help for any concepts just ask
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by mijmartin03)
had a teacher who barely spoke english and still got avg 94% on tests throughout the year - if anyone needs any help for any concepts just ask
Damn... I feel sorry then. I would be very frustrated and my temper would go up if I had one of those teachers.
Last edited by Kubsyy; 7 months ago
Strelzo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Ay Kubsyy, how's your studying going for computing science? I'm starting today, therefore I have a week before the exam; should be well more than enough to memorise everything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?