I have 30 years' experience in Investment Banking and help graduates get a job AMA

Watch this thread
Meowgi256
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Best and worst parts of working in IB?
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
Thank you very much for making this thread, generally looks like exactly what I've been looking for. I'm currently in Year 12 (I know I'm quite ambitious), doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics & Physics A levels, with the aim of getting into a university such as LSE, Warwick or Cambridge from Economics, and after that I am currently thinking about Investment Banking as a future career (I have been researching this for the last 2 years). Anyway, I have 3 actual questions: What is it like to work as an investment banker, will having very strong quantitative skills help me very much, and what are big mistakes that students normally make when trying to get into the sector?

Once again thanks a lot for doing this, very useful! Thank you .

P.s I know I'm quite late here sorry.
given this thread is 11 months old - i will also answer as an addendum to the OP (if he answers), given relevant experience on the topic

Q1) it can be a mixture of a lot of things, depending on the type of person you are, your motivations for working in such an environment and your interests there are long hours involved in banking, upwards of 14+ hour days in the M&A / coverage side of things (which i assume you're referring too) and this involves creating powerpoints (for pitchbooks) and financial modelling to assess company valuation/ synergy opportunities and the like - as well as a lot of researching. you will gain a lot of valuable skills both from a technical standpoint, as well as a competence standpoint which will provide a wide breadth of opportunity should you wish to pursue other careers. the downside obviously it is very tiring and can take a huge toll on your personal life, mental health and physical well-being.. it's a fine balance to upkeep, but this is usually down to the individual in question.

Q2) having familiarity with numbers is useful, but the maths involved in financial modelling is less a test of quantitative ability but more just comfortability with GCSE level maths (%s , ratios, addition etc..) and the ability to read through the numbers and articulate a story or meaning from them. i.e. a company grows there sales by 20% in 1 year, yet profitability has only increased by 10% - what can you ascertain from this - perhaps, the company cut per unit costs of products to expand sales in efforts to consolidate the market etc.. etc..

Q3) biggest mistake is not getting work experience early on.. insight days in Y13, spring week internships in first year, penultimate year summer internships in second year of university. and believing that just going to a good uni will get them in. you're competing against a lot of people gunning for the same spot - so being active and having a well-rounded interesting profile, as well as networking from early on to get mentorship and advice will stand you in good stead.
Kevto
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lancaster University)
Students are very drawn to Investment Banking careers due to the perceived 'glamour' and high salaries. Having worked as a Bond Trader for Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan and Barclays I get that! Apart from the fact that IB is extremely competitive, what students often don't realise until someone tells them (!) is that IB is only one sector of about 10 sectors associated with Financial Markets which offers interesting and high paid careers. Other sectors to consider include: Investment Management, Wealth Management, Credit Rating Agencies, Vendors, Retail & Commercial Banks, Financial Consultancy, Investment Consultants and more...

As more and more students are driven to go to university with the goal of securing a lucrative career the pressure is on to choose the right degree programme and university. But do financial market employers really care about if you went to LSE or did History instead of Accounting? Last year I supported 46 students from Lancaster secure places in Investment Banking, Investment Management and similar internships and graduate programmes. Yes, it’s true that there are some employers ‘target universities’ but if you have the skills, attitude, experience and grades they’re looking for, it’s still possible to get a job and go to the university that you really want to go too.

• Are you considering applying to a grad scheme and looking for advice?
  • Are you wondering if uni is the only route to get into investment banking?
  • Are you stuck between choosing different unis and different degree options?
  • Are you curious to know what it’s actually like to work as a trader?

I’m online to answer your questions and help you out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul has 30 years financial market experience including bond trading positions with Morgan Stanley, Barclays, JP Morgan Chase combined with a passion around helping students secure Internships and Graduate Programmes. Paul has in-depth knowledge of the investment banking and asset management hiring process. He provides assistance on CVs, applications, interviews & assessment centres providing unique insight and market knowledge.
Will going to UEA land me a chance?
Hannah18262
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Students are very drawn to Investment Banking careers due to the perceived 'glamour' and high salaries. Having worked as a Bond Trader for Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan and Barclays I get that! Apart from the fact that IB is extremely competitive, what students often don't realise until someone tells them (!) is that IB is only one sector of about 10 sectors associated with Financial Markets which offers interesting and high paid careers. Other sectors to consider include: Investment Management, Wealth Management, Credit Rating Agencies, Vendors, Retail & Commercial Banks, Financial Consultancy, Investment Consultants and more...

As more and more students are driven to go to university with the goal of securing a lucrative career the pressure is on to choose the right degree programme and university. But do financial market employers really care about if you went to LSE or did History instead of Accounting? Last year I supported 46 students from Lancaster secure places in Investment Banking, Investment Management and similar internships and graduate programmes. Yes, it’s true that there are some employers ‘target universities’ but if you have the skills, attitude, experience and grades they’re looking for, it’s still possible to get a job and go to the university that you really want to go too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul has 30 years financial market experience including bond trading positions with Morgan Stanley, Barclays, JP Morgan Chase combined with a passion around helping students secure Internships and Graduate Programmes. Paul has in-depth knowledge of the investment banking and asset management hiring process. He provides assistance on CVs, applications, interviews & assessment centres providing unique insight and market knowledge.
I’m a current student at Northumbria University. Do you think I will be able to get into investment banking/corporate banking? I’m studying business with economics. As you mentioned previously, they do tend to look at what uni you went to, and I’m just curious if Northumbria is not as bad…
Last edited by Hannah18262; 9 months ago
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
How does age factor in to chances of success if attending University as a mature student, but has no home responsibilities, so flexible to relocate, work long hours, etc.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 months ago

Will IB overlook my A Level grades because we didn't sit them, they just predicted it for us? I was getting ABC in mocks without revising and for the final grades they gave me BCD. Or would I need to resit them?
anonuser99
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Will IB overlook my A Level grades because we didn't sit them, they just predicted it for us? I was getting ABC in mocks without revising and for the final grades they gave me BCD. Or would I need to resit them?
This is an old thread, doubt you'll get an answer from OP now but I will offer my 0.02.
If BCD are your official grades then it's likely both your uni and your grades will work against you. Many IBs have a soft requirement of ABB grades (or equivalent).
anay1110
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

Hi I was wondering if industrial economics at university of Nottingham is suitable for investment banking
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (156)
41.82%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.5%
No (148)
39.68%

Watched Threads