The Student Room Group

Simple Simple Harmonic Motion Question

A ball of mass mm is suspended from a fixed point by means of a spring of natural length \ell and modulus of elasticity λ\lambda. Find the simple harmonic oscillation equation.

I got the answer as x¨=xλm\ddot{x} = -\dfrac{x\lambda}{m\ell} but the answer is apparently x¨=xλmg\ddot{x} = -\dfrac{x\lambda}{mg}. Can anyone please verify this? Thank you :smile:.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by esrever
A ball of mass mm is suspended from a fixed point by means of a spring of natural length \ell and modulus of elasticity λ\lambda. Find the simple harmonic oscillation equation.

I got the answer as x¨=xλm\ddot{x} = -\dfrac{x\lambda}{m\ell} but the answer is apparently x¨=xλmg\ddot{x} = -\dfrac{x\lambda}{mg}. Can anyone please verify this? Thank you :smile:.

I've just eyeballed from the definition of modulus of elasticity (which I had to look up, if it gives you an idea of how rusty I am...), and I think you are right (at least, I'm pretty sure 'g' shouldn't be in there...)
Reply 2
Original post by DFranklin
I've just eyeballed from the definition of modulus of elasticity (which I had to look up, if it gives you an idea of how rusty I am...), and I think you are right (at least, I'm pretty sure 'g' shouldn't be in there...)

Thank you :biggrin:. It gets a bit annoying when you are studying independently and the only standard textbook has so many errors :tongue:.

Quick Reply

Latest