The Student Room Group

University of veterinary medicine Budapest

I have read some logistics about veterinary medicine on this thread and wanted to give some heads up to prospective students about what is currently happening at this university in 2018. The recent independence of this university from szebt Istvan has changed this for the negative. Since there are many things that are going on I will bullet point the most significant ones to consider with the current policies and trends at the university.

- tuition: has been raised to approx 13,000 euros a year now. Not cheap
- the student body was 196 students admitted this fall. Their goal is 200 students annually. They make it easy to get into the school but very difficult to pass through. You now go inactive on every class in physiology anatomy and biochensitry. The exams are not easy at all and have been made more difficult throughout the university years now due to their admittance policy.
- LGBT clubs and acceptance is not permitted at this university. The club was shut down last by professors saying it was against university values.
- practical experience is minimal and will decrease in the next few years.
- the school is heavily politicised, corrupt, and reflects the values of the current government.

I would recommend asking tough questions from the university in order to evaluate it against other schools which cost far less and support their students rather than ****ing them over whilst taking their tuition money.
Reply 1
Could you explain what you mean by "go inactive on every class"? Does that mean there is no class participation due to increased number of students?
Original post by tb__tb19
Could you explain what you mean by "go inactive on every class"? Does that mean there is no class participation due to increased number of students?

Are you planning on applying. I'm seriously considering Buda for fall 2019. The fees have gone up and I heard the exams are tough..... it is what it is!
Reply 3
Yes! But I will apply as a transfer so I won’t take the entrance exam. The tuition fee is going up every year so I am hoping to get some financial aid.
Hey guys. Im a final year here in budapest so if you do have any questions please feel free to ask. Yes as the post says class sizes and tuition have increased, but this a normal process of inflation. I would expect Slovakia and Poland to do the same. Regarding lgbt clubs being shut down?! utter lies! Practical experience; is what you make of it. I've been offered 3 jobs, been accepted to 2 uk graduate programs by people telling me my practical experience is outstanding, and that I really am in the minority with comparison to other graduates. Why is my practical experience so good? because I used my summers wisely and spent as much time as i could at the school clinic (which you're more than welcome to attend extra shifts from 4th year on). I believe the practical side of this uni is comparable to that of liverpool or others. It is easy to get into, but they will make you earn your place here. Of the 160 that started with us in 1st year, only 30 of us made it through, but if you work your butt off, who says you dont deserve to be one of those few?
Original post by tb__tb19

You have to pass each class in order to go ahead. So if you do not pass anatomy 1 you cannot even complete the practicals in anatomy 2 let alone the exam. This means you can lose a whole year (go inactive) as you have to try to finish the backlog of exams. This can be very difficult as you now only have one year of inactive rather than 2 up until his year.
Yeah it's teach yourself veterinary medicine- you can do whatever you wish on your own time at any facility though. The school in Latvia is literally half the cost for example so it's good to do research on your motives and costs.

And they did shut down the lbgt events quite publicly as well :wink:
Original post by vetgirlalmost
Hey guys. Im a final year here in budapest so if you do have any questions please feel free to ask. Yes as the post says class sizes and tuition have increased, but this a normal process of inflation. I would expect Slovakia and Poland to do the same. Regarding lgbt clubs being shut down?! utter lies! Practical experience; is what you make of it. I've been offered 3 jobs, been accepted to 2 uk graduate programs by people telling me my practical experience is outstanding, and that I really am in the minority with comparison to other graduates. Why is my practical experience so good? because I used my summers wisely and spent as much time as i could at the school clinic (which you're more than welcome to attend extra shifts from 4th year on). I believe the practical side of this uni is comparable to that of liverpool or others. It is easy to get into, but they will make you earn your place here. Of the 160 that started with us in 1st year, only 30 of us made it through, but if you work your butt off, who says you dont deserve to be one of those few?
Are you expecting to be spoon fed veterinary medicine? I had a very positive experience in Budapest and I can't understand all the negativity. I think when you get to an older year and are on EMS practice you'll realize that Budapest is a good school and does produce very good vets. If youre not happy, you can easily transfer to any of the other UNIs in europe. There's no point staying there if you feel this way, it is going to affect your performance at the end of the day.
Original post by Tiredvetstudent
Yeah it's teach yourself veterinary medicine- you can do whatever you wish on your own time at any facility though. The school in Latvia is literally half the cost for example so it's good to do research on your motives and costs.

And they did shut down the lbgt events quite publicly as well :wink:
I would if I could almost vet girl. I am seriously wondering if you are being paid for this in some way by the school. Otherwise if your done with school why are you obsessing on this page rather than focusing on your career?

As said before take a serious look at veterinary schools including this one including practical experience, academic and professional support, and costs both direct and indirect. Make your decision after thorough research.
I have been accepted into the 6yr program. Please could you give me suggestions for accommodation around the school.
Original post by vetgirlalmost

Quick Reply

Latest