username1976009
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have 2 major problems with my UCAS application, the first one being someone at my old college hasn't agreed to be my Referee. The second problem is that I can't afford the A Level exams.

I was hoping to have my all this sorted out as soon as September hit but that didn't happen because I couldn't get a job so I put more effort into job hunting rather then the rest of the application.

I have a credit score of 62 using Clear Score (uses Experian). I'd rather not go into that problem...

What are my options? I was looking forward to university and apprenticeships just aren't my style. I would appreciate any advice i can get right now
K.I.M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
have you spoken with your bank to see the options for you to pay this can u ask somebody else to be your referee or is it too late
username1976009
Rep:
?
There isn't anyone else to ask to be my referee. my credit score is too low to even be considered by my bank :/ thank you for the advice though
TheTroll73
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BradleyAustin97)
I have 2 major problems with my UCAS application, the first one being someone at my old college hasn't agreed to be my Referee. The second problem is that I can't afford the A Level exams.

I was hoping to have my all this sorted out as soon as September hit but that didn't happen because I couldn't get a job so I put more effort into job hunting rather then the rest of the application.

I have a credit score of 62 using Clear Score (uses Experian). I'd rather not go into that problem...

What are my options? I was looking forward to university and apprenticeships just aren't my style. I would appreciate any advice i can get right now
uh maybe try to find a job on the internet

if really desperate you can always try YT, who knows maybe your channel will be successful (entertainment channels tend to earn more tho...)
TCL
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

You should be able to get somebody at your college to do it - find out who the UCAS coordinator is and speak to them. People who are home-schooled can get a reference from a parent, so that may be an option. You could try calling UCAS and asking them.

Possibly more of a problem if you can't afford to pay for A level exams - does your college have a hardship fund?
username1976009
Rep:
?
I've been trying to find jobs on the internet and I need the money like before the end of January to avoid late fees so YouTube isn't going to work out either.

I probably should add that I'm not being homeschooled or in college, I'm self studying and either way I believe they stopped doing that because they couldn't afford to do it anymore.

Thank you for the advice though
thaliaevelyn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why aren't you at college? Is there anyone else at the college you could get to write it for you? And how much have you saved/do you need to save?
Geek5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Study with the Open University
TheTroll73
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've been trying to find jobs on the internet and I need the money like before the end of January to avoid late fees so YouTube isn't going to work out either.

I probably should add that I'm not being homeschooled or in college, I'm self studying and either way I believe they stopped doing that because they couldn't afford to do it anymore.

no problem, just don't forget to quote the reply first so that you can make sure I don't miss it.
TCL
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Do you know that everybody is entitled to 3 free years of sixth form level education? Why are you not enrolled in a college?
Geek5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TCL)
Do you know that everybody is entitled to 3 free years of sixth form level education? Why are you not enrolled in a college?
Not quite true. You are entitled to two years but you must be aged between 16-19. The government only funds the first two years, however some school/colleges allow people to stay for a third year.
username1976009
Rep:
?
I went to college for 4 years and did IT and now I just don't want to do IT anymore, I used to love it but now I'm not interested
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Are you claiming JSA?

Go back to college - someone will give you a reference if you've studied there.
username1976009
Rep:
?
yeah I'm on JSA and I'm gonna try that Thursday
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yeah I'm on JSA and I'm gonna try that Thursday
So why haven't you got the money? Exam entries are not due until February and you might be able to arrange to pay in instalments or ask your parents for a loan or money for Christmas
username1976009
Rep:
?
because I need £630 and most of my JSA goes straight to my mum because she makes me use it to pay for food shopping (which is reasonable). I also need other stuff like a calculator to take into the exam and other stationary stuff. My dad isn't around me and my mum is on ESA but I will definitely try if it can be paid in instalments
JudaicImposter
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Make an application to study an Access to HE diploma and some A levels funded using multiple advanced learner loans. You may be eligible for a concessionary fee rates if you claim certain benefits/on a low income. I do know for certain that City of Westminster College has A Level and Acess courses that only take 36 weeks to finish but it will mean that you will have to postpone your studies/full time education until September of next year unless you can convince the college that you have learnt all of the subject content and are ready to sit examinations/able to catch up with any missed work and enrol ASAP in January. I do think having the extra time will be beneficial and result in better grades/UCAS application. Best of luck.
Last edited by JudaicImposter; 1 year ago
Ally's
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Why do you have to pay for your exams? Is it a private college?
username1976009
Rep:
?
I'm doing do A Levels Privately, or at least I planned to. I'm gonna try and see if City of Westminster college will take me but it looks like it doesn't have enough physics credits for one of my choices so I might have to look around
Ally's
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I see that you are doing physics. Have you double checked that you can complete this privately without there being a problem of completing/passing the practical part of the subject which is a prerequisite for every university that accepts a science A-level as part of the entry requirement. Sorry I do not mean to stress you in what is clearly a very difficult time for you, I just wanted to make sure you knew this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (74)
28.57%
1 (40)
15.44%
2 (41)
15.83%
3 (38)
14.67%
4 (17)
6.56%
5 (20)
7.72%