The Student Room Group

"Your Offer" and "Our Guarantee" - confused....

Hello

My daughter's just received an offer from Exeter but we're a bit confused.

The first paragraph "Your Offer" says she has a conditional offer and she is required to achieve A*BC (with Bs in two science subjects).

The following paragraph titled "Our Guarantee" says "we are pleased to confirm that your place will be guaranteed if you make Exeter your Firm choice and you achieve AAB or equivalent (A*AC/A*BB) including any specific subject conditions stated in your offer."

The two paragraphs seem to be offering her two different levels of conditional offer. Is the one that matters the "Your Offer". That is one grade lower. Am hoping so!

This is our first offer and we are complete beginners at the UCAS process - please be kind :-) !

Many thanks.
(edited 5 years ago)
Seems strange. Maybe contact and ask them?
It’s quite customary for them to present a condition that’s easier to meet in return for firming them. If what you’re saying is the opposite, then I’m clueless.
Original post by Rachel5mith
Hello

My daughter's just received an offer from Exeter but we're a bit confused.

The first paragraph "Your Offer" says she has a conditional offer and she is required to achieve A*BC (with Bs in two science subjects).

The following paragraph titled "Our Guarantee" says "we are pleased to confirm that your place will be guaranteed if you make Exeter your Firm choice and you achieve AAB or equivalent (A*AC/A*BB) including any specific subject conditions stated in your offer."

The two paragraphs seem to be offering her two different levels of conditional offer. Is the one that matters the "Your Offer". That is one grade lower. Am hoping so!

This is our first offer and we are complete beginners at the UCAS process - please be kind :-) !

Many thanks.

What a terrible letter.

Has your daughter had the offer through on UCAS Track yet? The conditions that come through on that are the "official" ones.

I would wait until it comes through and then get on the phone to Exeter to complain.
It's quite nice you're taking an interest in your daughter's UCAS application. When I was going through UCAS back in '16, all my parents knew was when I had received an offer! :biggrin:

Best of luck to your daughter! What has she applied to study?
Those two offers don't contradict each other.

You've got an offer which they'll reduce if you make them your firm choice.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
What a terrible letter.

Has your daughter had the offer through on UCAS Track yet? The conditions that come through on that are the "official" ones.

I would wait until it comes through and then get on the phone to Exeter to complain.

Thank you for replying. Yes - it's through UCAS Track. I think i'll email school. It feels like it's saying that if she makes it her Firm choice - the requirement is higher! makes no sense.
Reply 7
Original post by JammieDodger27
Those two offers don't contradict each other.

You've got an offer which they'll reduce if you make them your firm choice.

Thank you for replying. Perversely, the UCAS Track email implies that if she makes it her FIRM choice - the grades she needs are actually one point higher (ie AAB). The preceding paragraph entitled "Your Offer" is offering her a place on condition she get A*BC (with minimum two Bs in sciences). So, net net one grade level less. *Confused face*!!
The overall offer is so unusual that I would not be surprised if they’d coded it incorrectly. I would contact them to make sure that both parts of the offer are as they intended.

Typically an “If Firm” offer would either be an unconditional one with no grade requirements OR one with very clearly overall lower grade requirements.

I wished “If Firm” offers just died a death tbh. Imagine trying to make a decision based on four or five offers like this one.
Reply 9
Original post by Admit-One
The overall offer is so unusual that I would not be surprised if they’d coded it incorrectly. I would contact them to make sure that both parts of the offer are as they intended.

Typically an “If Firm” offer would either be an unconditional one with no grade requirements OR one with very clearly overall lower grade requirements.

I wished “If Firm” offers just died a death tbh. Imagine trying to make a decision based on four or five offers like this one.

Thank you Admit-One. A*BC just happen to be her predicted grades from school. But, yes, given the replies in this thread I'm minded to ask for further clarification. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
That offer makes no sense and is very unusual, I agree that they probably made a mistake. I used to work as a careers adviser, and grades are always Lower if the applicants makes them the Firm choice, not higher! I would just phone the department (or email them if you prefer) - they will be able to make sense of it easier than your daughter's school. Still, its good news about the offer - shame it's so confusing!
Thank you all for the replies. The university had indeed made a mistake. Got in touch with the admissions department and all sorted. Thank you all.
Original post by Rachel5mith
Thank you all for the replies. The university had indeed made a mistake. Got in touch with the admissions department and all sorted. Thank you all.

I hope this won't put your daughter off! Exeter is a great place to study :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest