The Student Room Group

Why does gender identity matter

title. not baiting i actually don't know

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zasty
title. not baiting i actually don't know

I think gender identity is important because it translates the biological profile of humans to a social one. So, a biological male translates to a man and a biological female translates to a woman.

The understanding now is that there has been a disconnect between the biological profile and the social outcome. Previously, people felt like “I have a male part. So therefore I am a man”. This understanding is now being changed because people believe that they should be their true self, which is fine.

My annoyance is the rejection of the idea of gender dysphoria. As a result, people are being told they cannot be who they are and this causes many issues including mental health and physical health.

It is a bit troubling to see people harming themselves because of society’s rejection. This is also prevalent in the homosexual, transexual and other communities.

There are other ones including dysphoria in age, race and personality, which I think should be accepted.
(edited 5 years ago)
If someone is born with a penis, then that someone will forever be a male.

If someone is born with a vagina, then that someone will forever be a female.

That's how it was for thousands of years and that's how it always will be. End of story.
Reply 3
Original post by Wired_1800
I was informed on TSR that one of my post was reported as offensiveness. If this one is another, please let me know, rather than reporting it.

I think gender identity is important because it translates the biological profile of humans to a social one. So, a biological male translates to a man and a biological female translates to a woman.

The understanding now is that there has been a disconnect between the biological profile and the social outcome. Previously, people felt like “I have a male part. So therefore I am a man”. This understanding is now being changed because people believe that they should be their true self, which is fine.

My annoyance is the rejection of the idea of gender dysphoria. As a result, people are being told they cannot be who they are and this causes many issues including mental health and physical health.

It is a bit troubling to see people harming themselves because of society’s rejection. This is also prevalent in the homosexual, transexual and other communities.

Thanks, can i ask why having a penis or vagina stops those who suffer from gender dysphoria from being who they are?
Original post by Zasty
Thanks, can i ask why having a penis or vagina stops those who suffer from gender dysphoria from being who they are?

Their biological profile does not translate to the social construct. That is feeling that social woman not equal to biological female.
Reply 5
Their biological profile does not translate to the social construct. That is feeling that social woman not equal to biological female.

Isn't the entire idea of a "social woman" or a "social man" incredibly oppressive?

What does "believe they are more of a female" even mean
Original post by Zasty
Isn't the entire idea of a "social woman" or a "social man" incredibly oppressive?

It is regarded as oppressive hence why people are try to get read of the binary gender identity and introduce the concept of gender being on a spectrum.
Reply 7
It is regarded as oppressive hence why people are try to get read of the binary gender identity and introduce the concept of gender being on a spectrum.

I understand that approach, but what i'm asking is why do people need gender?
Like, why do many people need themselves to be placed on this spectrum in order to "be who they are " <-- as you stated

i'm not trying to bait i'm actually seriously curious
Original post by Zasty
I understand that approach, but what i'm asking is why do people need gender?
Like, why do many people need themselves to be placed on this spectrum in order to "be who they are " <-- as you stated

i'm not trying to bait i'm actually seriously curious

I don't really know the answer. My guess would be that they want to belong somewhere. Many things in our society were socially constructed such as gender and race, but some people are unable to see beyond such elements.
I don't really know the answer. My guess would be that they want to belong somewhere. Many things in our society were socially constructed such as gender and race, but some people are unable to see beyond such elements.

gender and race are not social constructs
newsflash: itdoesn'tmatter
So, First of all, Its important to make the difference between sex and gender.

Sex is simply if you have a **** or a minge. Dead simple.

Gender is a social construct, Based on how you act, think, Feel, yada yada yada.

It matters for the issue of transgender people, Which is up to you if you think people can or can't be transgender, thats a can of worms I sure as hell don't want to open. But essentially Gender Identity is your mental state, and sex is your physical one.
Original post by Xenon009

Gender is a social construct, Based on how you act, think, Feel, yada yada yada.

It matters for the issue of transgender people, Which is up to you if you think people can or can't be transgender, thats a can of worms I sure as hell don't want to open. But essentially Gender Identity is your mental state, and sex is your physical one.

And when 99.9% of people refer to male or female they are talking about the physical one.

gender isn't a social construction
Original post by ScullywagonThree
gender isn't a social construction

In the context of gender Identity it is, Although I do agree that some behaviours are by nature, not society
gender and race are not social constructs

Gender and Race are modern social constructs.

Racial identity was created no more than 3 centuries ago to be able to divide individuals and introduce the idea of white superiority based on a Western Eurocentric idea. Even at that time not all modern-day “white” people were considered to be “racially white”. For example, people from Iberia with olive skin were considered to be beneath the real white Europeans.

For example, there were many indentured servents from Ireland and Iberia, who were some layers above black slaves in the pecking order. They were treated horribly and never compared to their “white” masters. It was towards the end of the 19th century that racial parity among white people was fully formed because of the idea of a “Western” or “Pan-European” identity.

Gender was also socially constructed. The idea, of a man with his own set of rules and a woman with her own set of rules, is relatively recent. Centuries ago, humans did not fit into the envelopes that they are today.

The industrial revolution and urbanisation created the differences. Previously, “men” and “women” largely occupied same spaces. They farmed together, bathed together and were more similar than different. Strong examples are in some places in Africa, South America and Asia, where ancient tribes still demonstrate this uniform way of existence.
(edited 5 years ago)
In the context of gender Identity it is, Although I do agree that some behaviours are by nature, not society

no, we didn't just decide to have male and female... they are here by nature, so the idea that humans decided what men would do and what women would do is crazy
Gender and Race are social constructs.

Racial identity was created no more than 3 centuries ago to be able to divide individuals and introduce the idea of white superiority based on a Western Eurocentric idea. Even at that time not all modern-day “white” people were considered to be “racially white”. For example, people from Iberia with olive skin were considered to beneath the real white Europeans.

For example, there were many indentured servents from Ireland and Iberia, who were some layers above black slaves in the pecking order. They were treated horribly and never compared to their “white” masters. It was towards the end of the 19th century that racial parity among white people was fully formed because of the idea of a “Western” or “Pan-European” identity.

Gender was also socially constructed. The idea, of a man with his own set of rules and a woman with her own set of rules, is relatively recent. Centuries ago, humans did not fit into the envelopes that they are today.

The industrial revolution and urbanisation created the differences. Previously, “men” and “women” largely occupied same spaces. They farmed together, bathed together and were more similar than different. Strong examples are in some places in Africa, South America and Asia, where ancient tribes still demonstrate this uniform way of existence.

I'm black and your white... how is that a social construction... that is a part of our genes and identity, not some made up thing by people
I once called transgenderism a mental illness on TSR and the account got banned for hate speech.

I was warned today because I advised a poster to wait until marriage before she had sex.

It is not my call, I just follow the rules.
I'm black and your white... how is that a social construction... that is a part of our genes and identity, not some made up thing by people

It was made up. Being black or white is from the melanin variation in one’s skin. This is biology. There are also many people considered to be black that are very light skin that they can come across as tanned white people.

Racial identity was formed to push the idea of racial purity. This also led to the “1 drop rule” in the US that disqualified anybody from being considered to be “white” if they were found to have even one drop of non-white blood.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending