A Level Science: Practical endorsements funded with an advanced learner loan Watch

Wihelm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,

I've been looking for a while for a place in England that will be able to sit me for A Level biology, chemisty and physics papers as well as the practical endorsements required. The issue is I have been unable to find an institution that would allow their fees to be paid with an advanced learner loan. I have spoken to student finance directly and they have confirmed that so long as the institute I choose is registered to receive this funding then I'm able to do so; the issue being it seems no such school, academy, college or university is able to offer this. I was unable to get the information from student finance either.

Has anybody else taken their exams this way? Does anybody happen to know where I can find this unicorn? Any sound advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Wihelm)
Hi,

I've been looking for a while for a place in England that will be able to sit me for A Level biology, chemisty and physics papers as well as the practical endorsements required. The issue is I have been unable to find an institution that would allow their fees to be paid with an advanced learner loan. I have spoken to student finance directly and they have confirmed that so long as the institute I choose is registered to receive this funding then I'm able to do so; the issue being it seems no such school, academy, college or university is able to offer this. I was unable to get the information from student finance either.

Has anybody else taken their exams this way? Does anybody happen to know where I can find this unicorn? Any sound advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much
My understanding is they have a list/ register and you have to look for institutions on that. They are mostly colleges.
Other businesses are private commercial enterprises and dont wish to be registered.
If I was tackling the issue, then I might just ring round and check with the endorsement providers whether any of them dealt with funding for their courses via ALL. You only need one. ALL should know.

I do not know if its possible as private candidate A levels tend to be paid for by the candidate themselves. Everyone else tends to do an Access course which has its own inbuilt practicals and easily falls within ALL territory. I believe this is the first thread where ive seen someone trying to pay for PE with ALL. The most common scenario is that people have failed their A levels but already achieved PE, which happens to be transferable.

If you cant get a job and pay that way then the other option is to talk to the uni and they might let you onto the foundation year. As you can get your money back from Access then that may be the only option of getting past.
tiggysniggy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,

Thank you very much
Have you found any solutions yet? I'm getting pretty desperate!
Sarah sahara
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by tiggysniggy)
Me too! Might have to get an overdraft
Wihelm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by tiggysniggy)
Not one. This has been a nightmare. I've called literally, no joke, every educational institution in the surrounding counties; in Northamptonshire and as far as Birmingham just now. Here are the results:

Do you take private A level candidates paying though the standard advanced learner loan?

Schools or colleges 1:
We can't sit private candidates.

Schools or colleges 2:
We did sit private candidates but we can't do the practical endorsements so no science courses.

Schools or colleges 3:
You have to pay £1,800 £2,000 to sit your exam here and we don't accept the Advanced Learner Loan.

Can you please tell me a single college in the country that accepts Advanced Learner Loans for private candidates?

Student finance: We don't keep that information on our system here.

AQA: We don't deal with that sort of thing. Call your local education authority.

Local Educational Authority: We don't know about that sort of thing.

Online course providers: We use X College but you have to either take the full course with us or you can pay them directly.

X College: We don't accept Advanced Learner Loans and the minimum instalment is £650 over four months.

Private college: Fill in the application and we'll see what we can do.

Private college after application: We are unable to accept students this way.

It's absolutely hopeless. I'm sure there is not a single school, college, university or institution of any kind that will take private candidates on with government funding, even when they accept government funding.

It should not be this hard for private candidates to take their A-Levels.
tiggysniggy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not one. This has been a nightmare. I've called literally, no joke, every educational institution in the surrounding counties; in Northamptonshire and as far as Birmingham just now. Here are the results:

Do you take private A level candidates paying though the standard advanced learner loan?

Schools or colleges 1:
We can't sit private candidates.

Schools or colleges 2:
We did sit private candidates but we can't do the practical endorsements so no science courses.

Schools or colleges 3:
You have to pay £1,800 £2,000 to sit your exam here and we don't accept the Advanced Learner Loan.

Can you please tell me a single college in the country that accepts Advanced Learner Loans for private candidates?

Student finance: We don't keep that information on our system here.

AQA: We don't deal with that sort of thing. Call your local education authority.

Local Educational Authority: We don't know about that sort of thing.

Online course providers: We use X College but you have to either take the full course with us or you can pay them directly.

X College: We don't accept Advanced Learner Loans and the minimum instalment is £650 over four months.

Private college: Fill in the application and we'll see what we can do.

Private college after application: We are unable to accept students this way.

It's absolutely hopeless. I'm sure there is not a single school, college, university or institution of any kind that will take private candidates on with government funding, even when they accept government funding.

It should not be this hard for private candidates to take their A-Levels.
I gave up. I had to take out a loan. At least I'm registered for everything now.... :/

I hope you've managed to sort something out - and good luck!
Sarah sahara
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Right so the cheapest places to take practicals are 3A tutors Bristol (900 each without written) and English Maths Science Tuition Centre Birmingham (825 each including written papers)Best of luck. You only options are to go to either one of those, which will incl paying for coaches, taxis etc.I've got my endorsements sorted out. You know what I did?

Prayed.

:yy:
tiggysniggy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yep. That's where I'm doing it. Fortunately my parents are local so it's only an hour drive for me... Yay for trying to educate ur self being so easy and affordable. ..
(Original post by Sarah sahara)
Right so the cheapest places to take practicals are 3A tutors Bristol (900 each without written) and English Maths Science Tuition Centre Birmingham (825 each including written papers)Best of luck. You only options are to go to either one of those, which will incl paying for coaches, taxis etc.I've got my endorsements sorted out. You know what I did?

Prayed.

:yy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads