Tex01Willer
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,
I am from Harrow (north west London). I have got conditional offers from all of the following to study Computer Science in 2019.

1. Newcastle
2. Royal Holloway
3. City
4. Queen Mary
5. Reading

Out of the 5, course content is better in Newcastle. But I am bit worried about studying up north as I have never been outside of greater London except few holiday trips or stayed away from family. I am Asian-Indian and worried about bullying up north especially in the middle of Brexit.

Whereas, London life I am so used to and any of the other 4 options are much easier.

Could someone help understand Newcastle university life? How feasible is it to visit family in London once a month or so?

Thanks.
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
Newcastle University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tex01Willer)
Hi all,
I am from Harrow (north west London). I have got conditional offers from all of the following to study Computer Science in 2019.

1. Newcastle
2. Royal Holloway
3. City
4. Queen Mary
5. Reading

Out of the 5, course content is better in Newcastle. But I am bit worried about studying up north as I have never been outside of greater London except few holiday trips or stayed away from family. I am Asian-Indian and worried about bullying up north especially in the middle of Brexit.

Whereas, London life I am so used to and any of the other 4 options are much easier.

Could someone help understand Newcastle university life? How feasible is it to visit family in London once a month or so?

Thanks.

Hi Tex01Willer,

So great to hear you’re coming to study with us, congratulations on your offers! 😁👏 Newcastle is an awesome, friendly city to study (and live!) in and I’m sure you’ll have the best time if you choose to join us.

As a University we pride ourselves in promoting a common vision where diversity is valued by all. Welcoming more than 4,000 international students each year, we embrace cultural diversity and we expect all students and staff to treat each other with dignity and respect.

To get a better feel for student life and the city itself, you can check out our student blog here: https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncoursetoncl/. There’s plenty in there on things to see, places to eat, music, travel etc. from a student perspective.

And if you have any queries regarding life in Newcastle as a Computer Science student, I’m sure Jane or Callum on our chat page would be more than happy to help: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/ug2019/unibuddy/

We also have a whole bunch of societies you may be interested in joining if you’re looking to meet people with similar interests: https://www.nusu.co.uk/getinvolved/societies/list/. Contact details for each society are listed on the pages so feel free to drop them a message and make a few friends before you even get here!

In terms of travel, trains run frequently between London and Newcastle and the journey takes around 3 hours.

Hope this all helps

Susie
666satinsdoll666
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey I live in London and go to Newcastle.

I would agree that it is less racially diverse than London but there is certainly no bullying and no racism - you dont need to be worried about that.

The city has a pretty similar feel to London, so you wont need to adjust much. The nightlife is better and so much cheaper. The city is also a lot smaller than London so you should find your way after a few weeks.

In terms of visiting home, it all depends on your financial situation. Trains can go up to 100 pounds sometimes, so once a month may be stretching it. But you are going to uni for independence and you will find that you wont need to visit home that often. Skype comes in handy! My parents visited me after two months and that worked for me. I then went home a month later for holidays so its not too bad at all.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions - just ask!

Sent from my SM-J320H using Tapatalk
ajayisa13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi all,

1. Newcastle
2. Royal Holloway
3. City
4. Queen Mary
5. Reading

Thanks.
Yo bro I’m also doing computer science (software development) at Newcastle next year ! I’m from London too (live in Croydon tho) and I’m black. My other mate is black too and she goes Newcastle, she said it’s not as diverse as London but everyone there is lovely and it’s much cheaper than London too!
ajayisa13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ajayisa13)
Yo bro I’m also doing computer science (software development) at Newcastle next year ! I’m from London too (live in Croydon tho) and I’m black. My other mate is black too and she goes Newcastle, she said it’s not as diverse as London but everyone there is lovely and it’s much cheaper than London too!
Sorry I mean this year haha! 2019 start
inquisitivethong
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey!

I am from South East London and I currently study at Newcastle University, completing Biomedical Genetics.I am black, Brexit hasn't even changed people's behaviour at all, the area in itself is extremely diverse and so friendly it is literally like being back in London. There is so many people in Newcastle to the point it is extremely easy to make friends. The night life is great, you tend not observe racial divide and as racially it is very integrated and there are also societies for racial and ethnic groups to kind to unite to feel less alone. Trust me, that does help.

The cost of going back to London is £30 on train (return), £20 on coach (return - 7 hour journey each way), if you prebook at least a week early. If you book it last minute you will end spending between £48 and £86, worst case scenario £136. If you are going by coach it is hard visiting home because you end up being in London for a short period of time though if you take a train you can visit your family for sufficient amount of time. It is feasible going back home as on train is two hours and a half or three hours and a half if you take different services that take you to York from Newcastle and from York to London.

I hope that answers your questions.

Hi all,

1. Newcastle
2. Royal Holloway
3. City
4. Queen Mary
5. Reading

Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (183)
76.25%
No (57)
23.75%

Watched Threads