mj.tan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm thinking of getting a new laptop for uni because my mum wants my current MacBook Pro (2015). I'm applying for Chemistry and would preferably like a laptop with drawing functionality. In addition to this I would want something that could support software such as ChemDraw and with a long battery life. Any suggestions?
username3331778
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
surface very good. if you have the money to spend on a macbook pro i guess you have the money to spend on a surface
iElvendork
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mj.tan)
I'm thinking of getting a new laptop for uni because my mum wants my current MacBook Pro (2015). I'm applying for Chemistry and would preferably like a laptop with drawing functionality. In addition to this I would want something that could support software such as ChemDraw and with a long battery life. Any suggestions?
Chemdraw has an ability to just randomly stop working on macs - my friend knows the struggle - the programme is only really well-supported on windows
mj.tan
Rep:
?
(Original post by yolkie)
surface very good. if you have the money to spend on a macbook pro i guess you have the money to spend on a surface
Thanks. Would you recommend the Surface Pro or the other models?
mj.tan
Rep:
?
(Original post by iElvendork)
Chemdraw has an ability to just randomly stop working on macs - my friend knows the struggle - the programme is only really well-supported on windows
Thank you so much for this!! What do you use?
Last edited by mj.tan; 1 year ago
iElvendork
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much for this!! What do you use?
I had an ASUS for three years, now I have lenovo, no idea what models they were/are as my step-dad chose them for me - they are quite big and heavy though - I never used to take my laptop to uni as we always had access to computers in the buliding and in lectures we were given handouts of the slides to annotate
mj.tan
Rep:
?
I had an ASUS for three years, now I have lenovo, no idea what models they were/are as my step-dad chose them for me - they are quite big and heavy though - I never used to take my laptop to uni as we always had access to computers in the buliding and in lectures we were given handouts of the slides to annotate
Ah alright. Would you then recommend I get one which I could draw on bc I know I prefer writing than typing in terms of taking notes. Also, did ChemDraw and other software all work perfectly on your windows?
iElvendork
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah alright. Would you then recommend I get one which I could draw on bc I know I prefer writing than typing in terms of taking notes. Also, did ChemDraw and other software all work perfectly on your windows?
The few times I used it, Chemdraw worked perfectly on my laptop - I only used it for third and fourth year coursework, and the programme was available on all uni computers anyway, I don't even have a copy of the software on my laptop now - it's been replaced by maple and origin, I'm avoiding MatLab
TajwarC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Whatever laptop you get, buy a mouse a long with it if you plan to use Chemdraw extensively (which I imagine you will). Using Chemdraw without a mouse is cumbersome to say the least
mj.tan
Rep:
?
I think I’m willing to go as far as £2000 for everything
mj.tan
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for your input. I have been considering the Surface Book but really not keen on the gap hinge.
rrr999
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The few times I used it, Chemdraw worked perfectly on my laptop - I only used it for third and fourth year coursework, and the programme was available on all uni computers anyway, I don't even have a copy of the software on my laptop now - it's been replaced by maple and origin, I'm avoiding MatLab
What course did you study at uni?
iElvendork
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rrr999)
What course did you study at uni?
Chemistry, my master's project and phd are in physical chemistry though
happyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would make sure the laptop can support NMR software such as CMC assist as well, just in case your projects include NMR this can be super heplful for interpretation and 'pretty' diagrams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (18)
31.58%
No - I have already returned home (8)
14.04%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (11)
19.3%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (2)
3.51%
No - I live at home during term anyway (18)
31.58%

Watched Threads