Turn on thread page Beta

Access course after 8 year gap in education, feeling dim watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So ive been out of education for around 8 years now. I took English, sociology and psychology at A level after leaving school and although i enjoyed them i had to leave college for financial reasons. Ive been working various jobs since then and have unfortunately not had to use my brain in many of them. Im hoping to start an access course in Febuary with the goal being university. The access course is on psychology and sociology , but its suddenly struck me that i remember very little,if any, of what i was taught so would basically be starting from scratch. Does anyone know of any useful websites or books for entry level psych and soc? I plan on doing as much research as possible before feb, and trying to kickstart my brain after it being dormant for so long, but im not sure where to start?

ReputationRep:
    Sociology Central has been an absolute godsend for me and would be a really good place to start if you want to brush up on the key theories (functionalism marxism etc). It has some really in depth analysis of certain studies as well eg Durkheim and suicide. Ken Browne's 'An Introduction to Sociology' is also a good starting point for an overview on the basics, although that book is more primed towards GCSE level sociology and doesn't go in depth on theory or theorists it is a good place to start.

Hope this helps
    Sociology Central link-
    http://sociology.org.uk/

PS: Don't worry too much about the gap! I'd been out of school for a decade before I went back to resit GCSE's last year and started my access course this year. You'll be surprised how fast you get back into the swing of things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10yearslate)
    Sociology Central has been an absolute godsend for me and would be a really good place to start if you want to brush up on the key theories (functionalism marxism etc). It has some really in depth analysis of certain studies as well eg Durkheim and suicide. Ken Browne's 'An Introduction to Sociology' is also a good starting point for an overview on the basics, although that book is more primed towards GCSE level sociology and doesn't go in depth on theory or theorists it is a good place to start.

Hope this helps
    Sociology Central link-
    http://sociology.org.uk/

PS: Don't worry too much about the gap! I'd been out of school for a decade before I went back to resit GCSE's last year and started my access course this year. You'll be surprised how fast you get back into the swing of things
    Thank you very much! Will have a ganders now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 19, 2018

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.