The Student Room Group

I wear glasses

I am just starting an integrated masters degree to study genetics. I am worried that I will struggle doing lab work while wearing glasses. I have only started wearing glasses in the last 3 years, and use varifocal glasses. Anybody else wear glasses doing any biology related courses and if it's ok in a lab doing work with glasses on. I tried contact lenses but can't put them in my eyes.
just buy over glasses safety glasses from screwfix. I do when on construction site.
They’ll definitely have goggles that fit over your glasses - you won’t be the only person who needs glasses.
I am worried that I wont be able to see through microscopes etc lol as I will have my glasses between eye piece and my eyes. I wont be able to place my eyes directly on eye piece. I didnt have this problem at college as I didnt have glasses then. I cant remember how other people with glasses used to look through microscopes. Like I said I have varifocals too. So I have to use part of my lense to see different things. I cant see far or close and also a bit astigmatism there is too. Will it stop me at some point doing things in a lab?
(edited 5 years ago)
Wear contacts.. You'll get used to putting them into your eyes eventually. It'll become second nature. Just persist and you'll do it
Original post by Fizzyfuz
I am worried that I wont be able to see through microscopes etc lol as I will have my glasses between eye piece and my eyes. I wont be able to place my eyes directly on eye piece. I didnt have this problem at college as I didnt have glasses then. I cant remember how other people with glasses used to look through microscopes. Like I said I have varifocals too. So I have to use part of my lense to see different things. I cant see far or close and also a bit astigmatism there is too. Will it stop me at some point doing things in a lab?

no it won't. just look on through the mid half of your glasses for middle distance viewing and then usr microscope to focus. I did loads of lab work with my glasses and had no problems. But my eyelashes are long and thick and often smudge my glasses and sometimes interfere with what I'm seeing through the microscope (but everyone can have this problem regardless if they have glasses or not)
I struggle even to put eye drops. Optician suggested contacts too but after examining me he noticed I cant bare anything touching my eyes. He then suggested artificial lense as I get head ache from glasses. I believe there will be cure for eye diseases in the future and that's where I want to work myself when I finish university. I want to improve human biology but with my eyes not even sure I will be able to see in the lab.
Original post by ddsizebra
no it won't. just look on through the mid half of your glasses for middle distance viewing and then usr microscope to focus. I did loads of lab work with my glasses and had no problems. But my eyelashes are long and thick and often smudge my glasses and sometimes interfere with what I'm seeing through the microscope (but everyone can have this problem regardless if they have glasses or not)

Oh thank you for replying. I wanted a view from someone who wear glasses and work in a lab. So it has difficulties but you still manage to see with your glasses on. I really want to do this for humanity and ofcourse myself
Original post by Fizzyfuz

You can probably use a microscope without your glasses on, no matter how bad your vision is. Your glasses are lenses and a microscope is a collection of lenses. Just focus it until it works for your eyes.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You can probably use a microscope without your glasses on, no matter how bad your vision is. Your glasses are lenses and a microscope is a collection of lenses. Just focus it until it works for your eyes.

Oh that's a point.

there are limitations e.g. seeing details to organelle level. The objective lens may touch the specimen sample or even crack the glass slides.
Reply 11
Glasses fit under the goggles.

As for microscopes you don’t need to keep the glasses down to look through it. I’m doing Biomed and wear glasses.
I was wearing glasses during biology and chemestry labs, mostly wearing progressives (verifocal). When using the microscope I sometimes asked for the one with an adjustable eyepiece where you can set your prescription to help you focus without glasses. It goes from +4 to -4 so it covers most of the prescriptions, we had a few in our lab, if non were available I'd manage because I see pretty well just had a bit less fun staring at a not so clear cells. Well, it all depends on how blurry and unfocused is your eyesight.
I used rimless frames so it was very easy to put the googles on top of them, I even wore sunglasses on top of them sometimes so lab googles were pretty comfortable, 3D glasses on the other hand weren't comfortable at all.
If your lenses are high quality the transition between near and far point and the mid range should be fine, if you expreince some sort of dificulty you may consider office lenses.

Disclamer - I'm an optoetrist.
Original post by Kathy89
I was wearing glasses during biology and chemestry labs, mostly wearing progressives (verifocal). When using the microscope I sometimes asked for the one with an adjustable eyepiece where you can set your prescription to help you focus without glasses. It goes from 4 to -4 so it covers most of the prescriptions, we had a few in our lab, if non were available I'd manage because I see pretty well just had a bit less fun staring at a not so clear cells. Well, it all depends on how blurry and unfocused is your eyesight.
I used rimless frames so it was very easy to put the googles on top of them, I even wore sunglasses on top of them sometimes so lab googles were pretty comfortable, 3D glasses on the other hand weren't comfortable at all.
If your lenses are high quality the transition between near and far point and the mid range should be fine, if you expreince some sort of dificulty you may consider office lenses.

Disclamer - I'm an optoetrist.

Thank you for the reply. Not sure how bad my focus is but I cant see far or close much clear. I can still drive without glasses though.
Attachment not found
(edited 5 years ago)

Works well unless you have astigmatism, or a microscope with no ajustable eyepiece. The only lens that really works on focus is the eyepiece.

Quick Reply

Latest