The Student Room Group

My mum keeps putting me down when i want to work??

So i found a local volunteer centre in my area and decided to look on the website. I saw multiple opportunities to volunteer at charity shops or help the elderly so i applied for multiple. I ended up accepting the one closest to my house and getting a taster session on Monday for today. I also got interviews for paying jobs e.g subway and a restaurant. But i thought the volunteer one would be easier since it’s only 5 minutes away. I told my mum about the restaurant one and she literally said that i probably won’t get it. When i told her about the subway one she said the same thing and then when i told her i was going to volunteer today she also said you won’t like it anyway. no point.” each time i get a job interview she literally keeps saying things like that and she’ll laugh at the end. If my CV was shortlisted doesn’t that mean maybe i have a chance at getting the job? I don’t know why but it really makes me upset cus then i worry i won’t actually get it. I applied for oxfam ages ago and the day came to start and as i left she started making remarks. I ended up going back home as soon as i got there because of that. I know i shouldn’t let it get to me but i usually take what people say to heart. The main reason i’m looking for a job/volunteering is for work experience. I’d like to get a part time job while going to college but you need some sort of experience. The only experience i have is babysitting which doesn’t relate to any jobs i’m interested in. Therefore, i assumed if i did some volunteering it would help me out for next year if i wanted to find a summer job or something. She knows this yet she still puts me down? I don’t really get it to be honest. I told her many times that she doesn’t know if i’d get it or not as she isn’t the employer but she just says “oh i know you won’t.” it confuses me cause she literally told me a week ago to look for a job but when i do she has a problem? She asked when i was leaving because she wanted me to make lunch for her and my sister and i said in 20 minutes and she laughed and said “you’re going to work?” I really don’t get it and it’s actually hurtful.
Original post by softoxl
So i found a local volunteer centre in my area and decided to look on the website. I saw multiple opportunities to volunteer at charity shops or help the elderly so i applied for multiple. I ended up accepting the one closest to my house and getting a taster session on Monday for today. I also got interviews for paying jobs e.g subway and a restaurant. But i thought the volunteer one would be easier since it’s only 5 minutes away. I told my mum about the restaurant one and she literally said that i probably won’t get it. When i told her about the subway one she said the same thing and then when i told her i was going to volunteer today she also said you won’t like it anyway. no point.” each time i get a job interview she literally keeps saying things like that and she’ll laugh at the end. If my CV was shortlisted doesn’t that mean maybe i have a chance at getting the job? I don’t know why but it really makes me upset cus then i worry i won’t actually get it. I applied for oxfam ages ago and the day came to start and as i left she started making remarks. I ended up going back home as soon as i got there because of that. I know i shouldn’t let it get to me but i usually take what people say to heart. The main reason i’m looking for a job/volunteering is for work experience. I’d like to get a part time job while going to college but you need some sort of experience. The only experience i have is babysitting which doesn’t relate to any jobs i’m interested in. Therefore, i assumed if i did some volunteering it would help me out for next year if i wanted to find a summer job or something. She knows this yet she still puts me down? I don’t really get it to be honest. I told her many times that she doesn’t know if i’d get it or not as she isn’t the employer but she just says “oh i know you won’t.” it confuses me cause she literally told me a week ago to look for a job but when i do she has a problem? She asked when i was leaving because she wanted me to make lunch for her and my sister and i said in 20 minutes and she laughed and said “you’re going to work?” I really don’t get it and it’s actually hurtful.

You have your head screwed on the right way and doing some planning for your future. Tell her mum and the sister to get their own lunch.
Go down the voluntary route as it will look good for your CV in the future.
You do you OP. if your mum is unsupportive tbh just stop telling her anything.
I stopped telling my mum things but now when I do something she turns into bloody Sherlock Holmes so hopefully it will work for the OP. My mum is so similar and tried to get me to be racist and narrow minded like she is and wants me to be on benefits.
The best thing you can do is better yourself without her knowing which is difficult. Remember there are other people out there who will appreciate your hard work and grafting so don't let her get to you. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by BradleyAustin97
The best thing you can do is better yourself without her knowing which is difficult. Remember there are other people out there who will appreciate your hard work and grafting so don't let her get to you. :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by Seamus123
You have your head screwed on the right way and doing some planning for your future. Tell her mum and the sister to get their own lunch.
Go down the voluntary route as it will look good for your CV in the future.

thank you!
Sounds like you've got more gumption than the lot of them combined. Keep on keeping on!
Reply 8
Original post by softoxl

I think she may feel threatened by your budding independence, and want's to 'hang on to you' as long as possible. By discouraging your getting a job, and putting you down at every opportunity, she feels she is extending the amount of time she can hang on to you. I got the same treatment from my folks. You've got the right idea, and are headed the right way. Hang in there, and maintain confidence in your own abilities! In the end, we all have to walk our own path & take care of ourselves. Eventually, you probably will be taking care of her - i had to with me mum. Mine, never accepted the fact that we had gone through 'role reversal', and that i was now the adult, and she the child. She had Alzheimers, and in her last 1.5 years didn't know who i was, who she was, or anything else. Best of luck!!
I think there is a line between wanting to hang onto children which Is perfectly natural - and putting children down and belittling them. When that happens, parents are the losers and the result is that they will reap what they sow and their children will distance themselves when they do fly the nest.
Original post by Seamus123
I think there is a line between wanting to hang onto children which Is perfectly natural - and putting children down and belittling them. When that happens, parents are the losers and the result is that they will reap what they sow and their children will distance themselves when they do fly the nest.

I worked for the US Government right out of engineering school. After 7 or 8 years there, i had worked my way up to where i was running smaller projects on my own [$1 million USD or less]. I once had the incredible experience of encountering one of my (out of town) contractors in a local [D.C.] restaurant, where i was eating with me 'rents'. The contractor came over to our table & said 'hello', and then asked about a decision that i had taken concerning one of the several contracts that his company was working on at that time. Now, me 'rents' had absolutely NO technical background or training at ALL. I [at that time] held a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering [BSEE]. I now have a master's in ee [MSEE]. I was a bit taken aback, that my contractor would discuss contractural matters in front of 'outsiders' - i.e. me rents - but what he had brought up wasn't classified - so i responded appropriately. I told him that i had considered the matter, and we would have to do what he had been told. He was a bit unhappy, because my decision would slow things down a bit, and cost him a little money. Me 'rents' immediately jumped in, and contradicted me, and told the contractor that he could go ahead and 'short cut' the requirement. I'm certain that me 'rents' hadn't the slightest idea what either the contractor or i was talking about - because it was 'engineer speak'. This would be comperable to a house painter telling a surgeon how to perform surgery on a patient.

The contractor was amazed that both me 'rents' had put their 2 cents into the discussion. I managed to regain control of the discussion [having to resort to a bit of shouting - which got us some attention in the restaurant ], and i reminded my contractor that 'i controlled the checkbook', and if he knew what was good for him, he would follow my instructions. Later (in private), i told me 'rents' that they were to NEVER do such a thing again, if they wanted me to take them out to dinner ever again. This was NOT well received. They still considered that, in my early 30's that i was 'under their control', and that even though they had absolutely NO idea what was being discussed, that they had every right to over-rule me. They then proceeded to quiz me by asking absolutely every question that they could think of concerning the project the contractor and i were working on. I refused to tell them anything about it, which irritated them even more. After this, i carefully avoided any public appearances with me 'rents' where i thought one of my contractors might appear. I also told my contractors that, if they saw me in public with other people, they were not to approach me unless i signaled them to come over. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending