Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
did you ever see this... http://users.sussex.ac.uk/~davidy/su...a_grades2.html

I think there's a stronger case for 70+% = first in essay subects if you're going to mark them in such a way that 100% is impossible and 80% is quasi publishable than there is in exam / stem subjects.
I've not personally seen that article, but I've had similar points made when I've brought this up elsewhere. My general response, is what's the point of having a mark scheme where 100% is impossible? I completely agree, that if 100% is impossible and 80% is publishable then 70% is reasonable. But my issue is with the whole notion of having an unattainable mark, no matter what you do. If you're going to have a mark scheme that defines each percentage, then everything should be attainable.

I'll also note that my line of thinking extends to the other end of the grade boundary. I think it's laughable that 40% is a pass (even lower in some cases due to boundary rounding). If someone were to do a little over a third of the work in school, a job or really anywhere else in life it would not be acceptable. Yet at uni it gets you a pass. And likewise, a 2:1 represents some two thirds of the work in the 60-70% region. I appreciate that it doesn't really translate that way but the whole idea of having such low marks being justified because high marks are never given seems silly, especially when there's no way to convey the difference between a 70% and a 95%

Personally, I would shift everything up at least 10%. Or better yet, not use the same percentage boundaries across all unis. If a uni is of a lower calibre, or the work is easier then the boundary to get a First should be much higher. At least that way, a First has more meaning that doesn't rely on the uni awarding it.
The journey home
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Let’s keep this thread productive, people
The journey home
Rep:
?
They are socially inept

They have no fun

They are geniuses
The journey home
Rep:
?
They are freaks of nature
The journey home
Rep:
?
They butters

Cos it is a rare combination to have beauty and brains
The journey home
Rep:
?
They can pass exams

But they cant string a sentence together
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
they represent the top 0.05% of the nation's youth. only the very brightest are awarded the top grades of a Damian or an Attila.

:congrats:

:adore:
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Doonesbury I think it's safe to say this thread has had it's time and it's just devolved back to pointless First hate
The journey home
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Doonesbury I think it's safe to say this thread has had it's time and it's just devolved back to pointless First hate
Dont be salty now

Freedom of speech

You cannot shut my thread down
The journey home
Rep:
?
They are tryhards and think they’re so good

(When in reality, they are just noobs)
Qup
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They are good people who work hard and earn what they deserve in uni.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by The journey home)
Dont be salty now

Freedom of speech

You cannot shut my thread down
Pretty sure we've discussed this before. You spamming hateful stereotypes about First class students doesn't make someone salty. Nor does freedom of speech mean you post whatever you want
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (110)
19.61%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (230)
41%
Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed