The Student Room Group

Insurance for BMW 1 Series for 19 year old in London ?

I am 19 and live in an inner London borough. I have had my licence for 8 months. No body in my family drives. Insurance quote I usually get from a number of comparison websites is around £3.1K. The BMW 1 Series I am looking at is a 1.6l from 2004-2007. I really want a BMW and not a rubbish car like Toyota Yaris or An Astra.
Probably quite high. I live in Havering and pay £1.6k for a 2018 1.0 Ford Focus with no black box.
Reply 2
That is not high. I can’t even get that insurance price for an 05 Golf which cost me £2k
Reply 3
Original post by Mickey976
I am 19 and live in an inner London borough. I have had my licence for 8 months. No body in my family drives. Insurance quote I usually get from a number of comparison websites is around £3.1K. The BMW 1 Series I am looking at is a 1.6l from 2004-2007. I really want a BMW and not a rubbish car like Toyota Yaris or An Astra.

You’re the one who wants a BMW? So pay the price? I don’t get what you’re asking here?

Of course it's going to be expensive, you're young, just passed your test and you're in inner London. If you can't afford it, don't get a car - do you really want to drive in central London?
Reply 5
Original post by jameswhughes
Of course it's going to be expensive, you're young, just passed your test and you're in inner London. If you can't afford it, don't get a car - do you really want to drive in central London?

Exactly. By the sounds of it, he wants to be a boy racer in london with his BM. If I were the insurers I’d hike his premium.
Reply 6
Get a quote...?
Reply 7

Granted that you don't like Toyota out Vauxhall but BMW 1 is nothing to write home about. The suspensions are crazy hard which makes the ride so unpleasant and quality of the interior also isn't as great as other BMWs. If you want to enjoy the actual craftsmanship of BMW then you've to look at 3 series or higher. 5 is by far the best but I know it maybe too expensive.
Reply 8
I’m not a boy racer type or anything like that But insurance companies probably think I am due to my age. I know 1 Series is not the best car out there due to specifications and economic value. I saved money by working as a supervisor during my university studies. I just don’t know why insurance companies charge high for a 1.6l 1 series compared to a 1.4l Astra.
I’m not a boy racer type or anything like that But insurance companies probably think I am due to my age. I know 1 Series is not the best car out there due to specifications and economic value. I saved money by working as a supervisor during my university studies. I just don’t know why insurance companies charge high for a 1.6l 1 series compared to a 1.4l Astra.

It's all done off statistics, so as a 19 year old you there's a higher chance of you being involved in a crash, and similarly with the choice of car and where you live.

If it's too expensive choose something else (or get the bus!)
Not sure what you're asking for? Buying a car for the sake of a badge is ridiculous, less a decade old 1 series.

Most insurers won't even cover a BMW in my postcode anyway.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
I got a quote of 2.5k by adding my brother in law and girlfriend to the policy. I’m just gonna buy the 1 Series lol.
Reply 12
It’s because although the astra may be slower and cheaper, there may a high number of crashes with the 1 series. There are so many other statistics too, like, your postcode, your personal history and just random stuff. It’s all statistics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending