?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-46619689
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The problem with your comment is that you're just a young un who hasn't spent many hours on parliamentlive.tv, as I have. I grew up watching Commons debates.

Insulting another member, or not using Parliamentary language, is always a big deal. If you're two backbenchers having an argument about whose wife has the bigger rack, and you call each other morons, other MPs and the speaker will lose their minds and call for you to be punished. It is simply how business in Parliament is always carried out. Go look on YouTube for hundreds of videos on this point -- from Westminster and other Westminster Parliamentary systems (Aus/NZ).

Learn history and Parliamentary convention before you make your opinion known.
Mandem67
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
The problem with your comment is that you're just a young un who hasn't spent many hours on parliamentlive.tv, as I have. I grew up watching Commons debates.

Insulting another member, or not using Parliamentary language, is always a big deal. If you're two backbenchers having an argument about whose wife has the bigger rack, and you call each other morons, other MPs and the speaker will lose their minds and call for you to be punished. It is simply how business in Parliament is always carried out. Go look on YouTube for hundreds of videos on this point -- from Westminster and other Westminster Parliamentary systems (Aus/NZ).

Learn history and Parliamentary convention before you make your opinion known.
Aww looks like you’re triggered too. I’m sorry but we can’t always be politically correct can we? Facts don’t care for your feelings, snowflake!
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mandem67)
Aww looks like you’re triggered too. I’m sorry but we can’t always be politically correct can we? Facts don’t care for your feelings, snowflake!
He isn't particularly wrong. Insults in the HoC have always been a big deal. Dennis Skinner has been slated for far less.

akbar0123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol he’s not exactly wrong is he
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
These internet tricks don't work. Calling people snowflakes out of context is just plain dumb.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not convinced he said "stupid woman". Judging from the clip and the way his mouth repeatedly moves, "stupid people" fits far better.

The fact that nobody knows yet Tory MPs are kicking a fuss like children is very telling.

Fair play to him if he did mutter "stupid people" - stupid they are.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Take issue with the insult, but misogyny is a bit far. He didn't say she was stupid because she's a woman (if he did indeed call her a stupid woman), he's calling her stupid and recognising she's a woman. Like "rubbish PM" isn't saying she's rubbish because she's Prime Minister, it's saying she's rubbish and recognising she's PM.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
I'm not convinced he said "stupid woman". Judging from the clip and the way his mouth repeatedly moves, "stupid people" fits far better.

The fact that nobody knows yet Tory MPs are kicking a fuss like children is very telling.

Fair play to him if he did mutter "stupid people" - stupid they are.
I disagree. If in my mind I hear him saying "stupid people" and look at his lips, it doesn't look right at all. Maybe it was something else but I think "stupid woman" is the most likely.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They’re not really offended they’re just using the lefts principles against them. They all probably call her a stupid woman, but if they did it the left would be shrieking all over the place.

A hot take that I heard on TRS is that the ‘snowflake’ insult is stupid. These people aren’t wusses but are often simply projecting their will over people. Antifa will often say they feel ‘threatened’ and ‘vulnerable’ as they physically attack people. Though I obviously disagree with the take that Antifa are the new Nazis, there is a kernel of truth to the idea that the Nazis wanted to turn Europe into a ‘safe space’ for Christian Europeans

ChaoticButterfly anarchism101
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
oh.
Alexty28
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Its funny how both the left and the right call people snowflakes now, but the truth is they are all pathetic. But this is what politics has been reduced to, just name calling between people who are overly offended.

^ This proves my point, nothing you have said is clever. But I guess anyone who shouts about their opinion is an expert in politics today.

P.s. not saying I am a political expert myself though.
username3900288
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Who the hell cares about whether Corbyn does anything?
And May can do one as well.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Qup)
Who the hell cares about whether Corbyn does anything?
And May can do one as well.
😂😂😂
I AM GROOT 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
😂😂😂
:lol:
true true
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One has to wonder at the reasoning skills behind someone who is accused of calling one person stupid claiming innocence on the grounds that they actually called many people stupid.
Last edited by Good bloke; 1 year ago
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
One has to wonder at the reasoning skills behind someone who is accused of calling one person claiming innocence on the grounds that they actually called many people stupid.
Maybe they think that saying something mildy rude isn't as bad as saying something mildy sexist?
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Initially entertaining as it may be to see the PC left hoisted with their own petard, I'd really rather we just all grew up and got past this rubbish.

As for the use of 'unparliamentary language', I could perhaps accept that if the problem were the use of the muttered insult in itself. The fact, however, is that this issue seems in everyone's mind, including the Speaker's, to hinge on the difference between the phrases 'stupid people' and 'stupid woman', the latter being apparently 'misogynistic'. This charge of misogyny is clearly absurd, the outrage surrounding it is transparently false, and, on those grounds, Laura Pidcock is surely right to describe this use of Parliamentary time as 'absolutely pathetic'.

Here is what should happen. Corbyn should receive mild censure for muttering an insult in the House. We should all then move on and forget about it. Nobody should waste any more time at all trying to read his lips. As usual, they do not have any useful information to impart.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
how childish of you. remarks as 'stupid woman' is simply sexist end of story. has no place in the House of Commons, there is no way on God's earth that he said people if you look at the video, not that hard to apologise....
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Maybe they think that saying something mildy rude isn't as bad as saying something mildy sexist?
How is describing a woman as a woman sexist? Would it be sexist for Theresa May to mutter 'stupid man' in reference to Jeremy Corbyn? Or do you wish everyone to use only sex-neutral terms?
Last edited by Good bloke; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (117)
55.19%
Yes, but I want to swap them (16)
7.55%
No, but I know who I want to choose (19)
8.96%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (50)
23.58%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (10)
4.72%

Watched Threads