Turn on thread page Beta

Tory snowflakes triggered as Corbyn calls May a “stupid woman” watch

ReputationRep:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-46619689

ReputationRep:
    The problem with your comment is that you're just a young un who hasn't spent many hours on parliamentlive.tv, as I have. I grew up watching Commons debates.

Insulting another member, or not using Parliamentary language, is always a big deal. If you're two backbenchers having an argument about whose wife has the bigger rack, and you call each other morons, other MPs and the speaker will lose their minds and call for you to be punished. It is simply how business in Parliament is always carried out. Go look on YouTube for hundreds of videos on this point -- from Westminster and other Westminster Parliamentary systems (Aus/NZ).

Learn history and Parliamentary convention before you make your opinion known.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    The problem with your comment is that you're just a young un who hasn't spent many hours on parliamentlive.tv, as I have. I grew up watching Commons debates.

Insulting another member, or not using Parliamentary language, is always a big deal. If you're two backbenchers having an argument about whose wife has the bigger rack, and you call each other morons, other MPs and the speaker will lose their minds and call for you to be punished. It is simply how business in Parliament is always carried out. Go look on YouTube for hundreds of videos on this point -- from Westminster and other Westminster Parliamentary systems (Aus/NZ).

Learn history and Parliamentary convention before you make your opinion known.
    Aww looks like you’re triggered too. I’m sorry but we can’t always be politically correct can we? Facts don’t care for your feelings, snowflake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mandem67)
    Aww looks like you’re triggered too. I’m sorry but we can’t always be politically correct can we? Facts don’t care for your feelings, snowflake!
    He isn't particularly wrong. Insults in the HoC have always been a big deal. Dennis Skinner has been slated for far less.

ReputationRep:
    Lol he’s not exactly wrong is he

ReputationRep:
    These internet tricks don't work. Calling people snowflakes out of context is just plain dumb.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not convinced he said "stupid woman". Judging from the clip and the way his mouth repeatedly moves, "stupid people" fits far better.

The fact that nobody knows yet Tory MPs are kicking a fuss like children is very telling.

Fair play to him if he did mutter "stupid people" - stupid they are.

ReputationRep:
    Take issue with the insult, but misogyny is a bit far. He didn't say she was stupid because she's a woman (if he did indeed call her a stupid woman), he's calling her stupid and recognising she's a woman. Like "rubbish PM" isn't saying she's rubbish because she's Prime Minister, it's saying she's rubbish and recognising she's PM.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    I'm not convinced he said "stupid woman". Judging from the clip and the way his mouth repeatedly moves, "stupid people" fits far better.

The fact that nobody knows yet Tory MPs are kicking a fuss like children is very telling.

Fair play to him if he did mutter "stupid people" - stupid they are.
    I disagree. If in my mind I hear him saying "stupid people" and look at his lips, it doesn't look right at all. Maybe it was something else but I think "stupid woman" is the most likely.

ReputationRep:
    They’re not really offended they’re just using the lefts principles against them. They all probably call her a stupid woman, but if they did it the left would be shrieking all over the place.

A hot take that I heard on TRS is that the ‘snowflake’ insult is stupid. These people aren’t wusses but are often simply projecting their will over people. Antifa will often say they feel ‘threatened’ and ‘vulnerable’ as they physically attack people. Though I obviously disagree with the take that Antifa are the new Nazis, there is a kernel of truth to the idea that the Nazis wanted to turn Europe into a ‘safe space’ for Christian Europeans

ChaoticButterfly anarchism101
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    oh.

ReputationRep:
    Its funny how both the left and the right call people snowflakes now, but the truth is they are all pathetic. But this is what politics has been reduced to, just name calling between people who are overly offended.

^ This proves my point, nothing you have said is clever. But I guess anyone who shouts about their opinion is an expert in politics today.

P.s. not saying I am a political expert myself though.

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell cares about whether Corbyn does anything?
    And May can do one as well.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Qup)
    Who the hell cares about whether Corbyn does anything?
    And May can do one as well.
    😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obolinda)
    😂😂😂
    :lol:
    true true
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Corbyn and Trump would be best buddies
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    One has to wonder at the reasoning skills behind someone who is accused of calling one person stupid claiming innocence on the grounds that they actually called many people stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    One has to wonder at the reasoning skills behind someone who is accused of calling one person claiming innocence on the grounds that they actually called many people stupid.
    Maybe they think that saying something mildy rude isn't as bad as saying something mildy sexist?

ReputationRep:
    Initially entertaining as it may be to see the PC left hoisted with their own petard, I'd really rather we just all grew up and got past this rubbish.

As for the use of 'unparliamentary language', I could perhaps accept that if the problem were the use of the muttered insult in itself. The fact, however, is that this issue seems in everyone's mind, including the Speaker's, to hinge on the difference between the phrases 'stupid people' and 'stupid woman', the latter being apparently 'misogynistic'. This charge of misogyny is clearly absurd, the outrage surrounding it is transparently false, and, on those grounds, Laura Pidcock is surely right to describe this use of Parliamentary time as 'absolutely pathetic'.

Here is what should happen. Corbyn should receive mild censure for muttering an insult in the House. We should all then move on and forget about it. Nobody should waste any more time at all trying to read his lips. As usual, they do not have any useful information to impart.

ReputationRep:
    how childish of you. remarks as 'stupid woman' is simply sexist end of story. has no place in the House of Commons, there is no way on God's earth that he said people if you look at the video, not that hard to apologise....

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.