The Student Room Group

Optometry:Uwe or Plymouth?

~ closed ~
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello Tasneem!

Firstly, congratulations on your offers! As a student, I thought I'd answer some of your questions regarding Optometry at Plymouth. I'm afraid I don't know much about the course at UWE since it's in its first year and so, it wasn't an option open to me when I was in your position visiting open days etc.

Accommodation
Plymouth has a large and diverse student population and as such, there are a number of accommodation options available including halls on main campus and the student village for first year as well as many housing options for second and third years. As mentioned, the halls tend to be on main campus or in the student village which means there's a range of facilities on your doorstep. From knowing people who go to university in other cities, the rent in Plymouth is reasonable and there are different options for all budgets.

To see the halls options open to you, you can visit this page: https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation

You can also search for some accommodation agencies such as Cleverstudentlets & Student Life to see housing options.

Teaching
Personally, I think teaching is very good. All lectures and materials are available through our DLE and some lectures are recorded too. The lecturers are always willing to answer your questions and signpost you for additional support where needed.
I also feel that our practical sessions are well run and supported, which means that our learning is reinforced alongside lecture content.

To see student satisfaction, Unistats is a good tool: https://unistats.ac.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007801FT-4321/ReturnTo/Search

City life
Plymouth is a great city! During the summer months, it's great to take a revision break on Plymouth Hoe and walk down to the historic Barbican. Its proximity to the sea means there's loads of opportunities to get involved with water based sports and activities.
There's also a massive shopping centre- Drake's Circus which has a wide selection of shop
In terms of nightlife, there are many options depending on your preferences. There's a selection of bars and clubs (examples include Pryzm, Fever, Walkabout, Revolution, Popworld and our own SU)
All of this is within walking distance to the main university campus.

Transport
One point worth mentioning here is that Optometry teaching doesn't take place on main campus, but around 4 miles north of the city centre at PAHC Building. You are provided with a free bus pass for this, which you can use on selected routes into and out of the city.
Most people tend to live on main campus, however and travelling isn't too much of an issue.
Having said that, there are plans for a new building on main campus which may be opened while you're here.

I hope that answers all of your questions. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

If you haven't already, I'd definitely suggest visiting us at an open day.

If you want to find out more about our society, please visit our website www.plymouthopsoc.co.uk

With best regards,

Luke
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by TasneemB
Hi,
I've applied to study Optometry for 2019 and have received my offers from UWE Bristol and Plymouth. I'm completely conflicted on which uni to choose and would really appreciate any help from students who study there already or are wanting to study there in 2019, preferably doing optometry but anyone from any course at either uni is fine.
I would love some advice and to hear your own experiences based on accommodation, teaching, city life, transport, etc. for UWE and Plymouth. I really hope I get some replies to this as both cities would be a huge move for me (I'm from Manchester) and I want to ensure I'm making a good decision. Thank you in advance :smile:

Hi @TasneemB,

So great to hear that you're considering studying at UWE Bristol, and congratulations on your offer!

Unfortunately, as PlymouthOpSoc said, our course is currently in its first year, so unfortunately we are unable to refer you to any students that can give you good overview of the entire course. However, you get in touch with current students on the course or those considering 2019 entry on this thread here - and I will send you a private message of the course leader's details if you have any further questions.

If you were to come to UWE Bristol to study Optometry, you'd be based at the beautiful Glenside campus, which is home to our amazing new £5m state-of-the-art Optometry centre - you can take a look at pictures here!

The city itself here in Bristol is brilliant, cultural, and well-connected - and I would say fairly similar to Manchester in terms of liveliness and what the city has to offer. There are many museums, events, bars and restuarants, so whatever you enjoy doing, you're likely to find it here in Bristol.

If you have any questions about the campuses or Bristol then please don't hesitate to ask!

Best wishes,

Lois
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey, I've got an upcoming interview to study at UWE for optometry next September. I don't think there will be too much of a difference between both universities in terms of teaching of the course as the syllabus would be the same. Bristol has a gold TEF rating whilst Plymouth has silver, so that could be a factor. But also since they are quite a distance away from each other maybe you could choose a uni that's closest to home. Would make life a bit easier for you, hence why I've choose to Apply for UWE. Also since your a Muslim you could find out which city will best cater your needs in terms of food, community etc, as it will play an important part in your uni experience. Good luck on whatever decision you make.
Original post by Thebeastbilal
Hey, I've got an upcoming interview to study at UWE for optometry next September. I don't think there will be too much of a difference between both universities in terms of teaching of the course as the syllabus would be the same. Bristol has a gold TEF rating whilst Plymouth has silver, so that could be a factor. But also since they are quite a distance away from each other maybe you could choose a uni that's closest to home. Would make life a bit easier for you, hence why I've choose to Apply for UWE. Also since your a Muslim you could find out which city will best cater your needs in terms of food, community etc, as it will play an important part in your uni experience. Good luck on whatever decision you make.

Hi, I’ve got an interview for optometry soon as well, when’s yours?
Original post by zulaikhahrx

20th feb
20th feb

Original post by zulaikhahrx

Wbu?
Wbu?

11th feb
Reply 8
how did everyones interviews go? have you been offered places yet?

Quick Reply

Latest