0%
No - REJECT (1)
100%
lil19k
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi! This is for 2018 Application for 2019 Entry - sorry if the title didn’t make this clear.

I’ve received an offer from UCL for History of Art and Italian (Year Abroad) for AAB. Are there any other applicants/offer holders from UCL for History of Art or History of Art with a language? It would be really good to chat and talk about if you’re going to accept UCL.

I also have offers from Exeter and St Andrews for H of A and Italian, and the Courtauld for H of A. I’m waiting to hear back from Cambridge for just H of A, and McGill Uni (Montreal, Canada) for H of A and Italian.

Lily
Last edited by lil19k; 1 year ago
ellacate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lilyindira)
Hi! This is for 2018 Application for 2019 Entry - sorry if the title didn’t make this clear.

I’ve received an offer from UCL for History of Art and Italian (Year Abroad) for AAB. Are there any other applicants/offer holders from UCL for History of Art or History of Art with a language? It would be really good to chat and talk about if you’re going to accept UCL.

I also have offers from Exeter and St Andrews for H of A and Italian, and I’m waiting to hear back from Cambridge and the Courtauld for just H of A, and McGill Uni (Montreal, Canada) for H of A and Italian.

Lily
Hey! I've got an unconditional offer for just History of Art. I'm applying to McGill, Cambridge, and the Courtauld too! I'm very torn between UCL and McGill. I'm from the U.S. so McGill would be way cheaper for me than anywhere in the U.S. and a good deal cheaper than UCL. But I'm confused about whether McGill makes you take lots of non art history classes like U.S. universities do or whether you can really focus on art history and humanities after the General freshman program. Are you applying for the major entrance scholarship? That 3rd-person letter of rec is killing me.

Do you know what the UCL class sizes are like and whether UCL does tutorials? I've heard talk of a partial tutorial system but I can't find anything on the website.

Ho pensato di fare domanda a UCL per la storia dell'arte e italiano ma non voglio pagare per 4 anni :rolleyes: Faresti il Double Degree a Venezia?! Sarebbe troppo ganzo

Ella
Last edited by ellacate; 1 year ago
lil19k
Rep:
?
Hi!

Congrats on your offer! Wow we’ve applied to lots of similar places that’s really cool. Where else did you apply for?
Also did you come to interview at Cambridge / which college did you apply to? I went down for an interview at Trinity Hall in early December so I’m waiting to hear back now ...

I’m not sure about UCL class sizes or the tutorial system - very sorry! I’m hoping to attend an Offer Holder Day there soon, so I will that information out when I go down there.

I have completed part of the application for the Scholarship at McGill and have been mulling it over for months - but I can’t bring myself to write the rec or finding the essay - I’m strangely finding it really hard.

Have you been to visit McGill? I went on an open day in October and loved it, but it was my first visit to Montreal. I’m not 100% sure about the subjects and whether at first you have to choose different ones. I believe that you can just study H of A after the general freshman programme - I don’t think they make you do other things after that.

Unfortunately I can’t apply for the Double Degree in Venice, because I haven’t completed an A-Level in it (only self study and with a private tutor) so I’ve applied for a normal course where I spend Years 1&2 at UCL, Year 3 in Italy and Year 4 back in UCL. But it also gives me a bit more choice as to where I get to go in Italy which is a pro!

Also where in the US are you from?

Lily 😊
ellacate
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lilyindira)
Hi!

Congrats on your offer! Wow we’ve applied to lots of similar places that’s really cool. Where else did you apply for?
Also did you come to interview at Cambridge / which college did you apply to? I went down for an interview at Trinity Hall in early December so I’m waiting to hear back now ...

I’m not sure about UCL class sizes or the tutorial system - very sorry! I’m hoping to attend an Offer Holder Day there soon, so I will that information out when I go down there.

I have completed part of the application for the Scholarship at McGill and have been mulling it over for months - but I can’t bring myself to write the rec or finding the essay - I’m strangely finding it really hard.

Have you been to visit McGill? I went on an open day in October and loved it, but it was my first visit to Montreal. I’m not 100% sure about the subjects and whether at first you have to choose different ones. I believe that you can just study H of A after the general freshman programme - I don’t think they make you do other things after that.

Unfortunately I can’t apply for the Double Degree in Venice, because I haven’t completed an A-Level in it (only self study and with a private tutor) so I’ve applied for a normal course where I spend Years 1&2 at UCL, Year 3 in Italy and Year 4 back in UCL. But it also gives me a bit more choice as to where I get to go in Italy which is a pro!

Also where in the US are you from?

Lily 😊
I'm trying to force myself to finish my other applications -- I still have to apply to Yale (way too $$$ but why not apply I guess), Duke, Notre Dame, University of Wisconsin-Madison. I'm waiting to hear from University of Virginia and I have a full-tuition scholarship to Fordham in nyc.

I interviewed at Newnham and the trip to Cambridge at least (probably not the interview!) was fantastic. I'm crossing my fingers for us! Trinity Hall looks beautiful.

I'm glad you got to visit McGill! I did a short tour this summer and I loved Quebec. The McGill dorms less so. And yeah the UCAS PS was so much easier for me to write than the US/McGill personal essays...it sucks. It's so weird that they have the 3rd-person rec when they ask for 2 actual references, I just can't get over it.

Where in Italy are you thinking of going?

I'm from Wisconsin.
lil19k
Rep:
?
Hi

Yeah I loved McGill and the campus. But with the accommodation, I only visited the ‘Hotel’ style halls and not the other ones, so I don’t know what they’re like.

With Italy it really depends on which University I go to as each have different links with different Italian universities. I would like to end up in a city with lots of art, so Rome, Florence, Padua, Milan or Bologna maybe - but I don’t really mind where!

Do you have a preference of anywhere you have applied to? At the moment I have no idea where I’m going to accept if.

Haha - it was the same for me in Cambridge. I love the place & the experience, but not 100% sure how the interview/exam went ... so I’ll have to see.

Yeah - I find it really strange talking about myself in the 3rd person (and like you say it seems a bit unnecessary).

Lily 😊
ellacate
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lil19k)
Hi

Yeah I loved McGill and the campus. But with the accommodation, I only visited the ‘Hotel’ style halls and not the other ones, so I don’t know what they’re like.

With Italy it really depends on which University I go to as each have different links with different Italian universities. I would like to end up in a city with lots of art, so Rome, Florence, Padua, Milan or Bologna maybe - but I don’t really mind where!

Do you have a preference of anywhere you have applied to? At the moment I have no idea where I’m going to accept if.

Haha - it was the same for me in Cambridge. I love the place & the experience, but not 100% sure how the interview/exam went ... so I’ll have to see.

Yeah - I find it really strange talking about myself in the 3rd person (and like you say it seems a bit unnecessary).

Lily 😊
Yes I love the McGill hotel halls! I’m not sure where I would accept either; I have to make some spreadsheets or something. McGill is really high on the list though! Sorry it took me forever to reply to this! :rolleyes:
Ella
lil19k
Rep:
?
(Original post by ellacate)
Yes I love the McGill hotel halls! I’m not sure where I would accept either; I have to make some spreadsheets or something. McGill is really high on the list though! Sorry it took me forever to reply to this! :rolleyes:
Ella
Aha, don’t worry about it😊
They’re such nice halls aren’t they!
Like you, I have no idea where I’m going - I will definitely have to weigh up all the pros and cons of everywhere.
Lily
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.54%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.53%

Watched Threads