DreamingOverseas
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi!

I'm a final year college student working on creating an app for dyslexic users. If you would have a moment to respond to a few questions it would be super helpful so I can create the best app possible

Thanks so much!

Age/Gender

1. What are the main symptoms of your dyslexia and how does it present? (Trouble with reading, spelling, writing, grammar or other specific tasks?)

2. How does being dyslexic effect your everyday life and learning? Has your dyslexia ever impacted your studies or learning?

3. What age were you diagnosed with dyslexia and what kind of support (if any) were you offered?

4. Do you have any prior experience with using dyslexia assistive technology? If so, what type of technology?(coloured overlays for papers, highlighters, spell checkers, text readers, apps or add-ons that change font/page contrast and smartpens for example)

5. Which of the products you used did you find helpful and unhelpful and why?

6. Do you feel a need for better assistive technology to help with dyslexia?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm 23 and female, I was diagnosed with dyslexia at 18 but also have dyspraxia which I was diagnosed with when I was 10, so any answers I can give you would be from having both conditions because it's difficult to say what symptom is from what if that makes any sense:P
1. My main issues are slow reading, processing, bad short term memory, general co-ordination issues and grammar and punctuation (there's many other things but i think i'd say those are the main ones).
2. I suppose everyday life wise it can affect (effect?) everything, I forget things I just did, where I put something a lot, takes me longer to do many things including reading.
3.I only got extra time prior to university so once I got my dyslexia diagnosis too, I was offered a lot of support, like a laptop, text to speech and speech to text software, mindmapping software, a dictaphone and I got an hour a week of support with a study mentor.
4. So yes I've used a fair bit of assistive tech.
5. I've found all assitive tech helpful in someway, some I didn't use as much such as the speech to text software purely because of how much time it takes to use (fortunately after years I could mostly touch type at university when doing assignments) so when making assitive tech it needs to be very user friendly and accessible as quick as possible. Unfortunately having learning difficulties can mean fatigue in some cases so we might have less time we feel we can study in whereas some tech can be very time consuming.
6. I think theres a great range of tech already available but tech can always be made quicker to use.

Hope this helps, if you need anymore info I'd be happy to help.
(Original post by DreamingOverseas)
Hi!

I'm a final year college student working on creating an app for dyslexic users. If you would have a moment to respond to a few questions it would be super helpful so I can create the best app possible

Thanks so much!

Age/Gender

1. What are the main symptoms of your dyslexia and how does it present? (Trouble with reading, spelling, writing, grammar or other specific tasks?)

2. How does being dyslexic effect your everyday life and learning? Has your dyslexia ever impacted your studies or learning?

3. What age were you diagnosed with dyslexia and what kind of support (if any) were you offered?

4. Do you have any prior experience with using dyslexia assistive technology? If so, what type of technology?(coloured overlays for papers, highlighters, spell checkers, text readers, apps or add-ons that change font/page contrast and smartpens for example)

DreamingOverseas
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
I'm 23 and female, I was diagnosed with dyslexia at 18 but also have dyspraxia which I was diagnosed with when I was 10, so any answers I can give you would be from having both conditions because it's difficult to say what symptom is from what if that makes any sense:P
1. My main issues are slow reading, processing, bad short term memory, general co-ordination issues and grammar and punctuation (there's many other things but i think i'd say those are the main ones).
2. I suppose everyday life wise it can affect (effect?) everything, I forget things I just did, where I put something a lot, takes me longer to do many things including reading.
3.I only got extra time prior to university so once I got my dyslexia diagnosis too, I was offered a lot of support, like a laptop, text to speech and speech to text software, mindmapping software, a dictaphone and I got an hour a week of support with a study mentor.
4. So yes I've used a fair bit of assistive tech.
5. I've found all assitive tech helpful in someway, some I didn't use as much such as the speech to text software purely because of how much time it takes to use (fortunately after years I could mostly touch type at university when doing assignments) so when making assitive tech it needs to be very user friendly and accessible as quick as possible. Unfortunately having learning difficulties can mean fatigue in some cases so we might have less time we feel we can study in whereas some tech can be very time consuming.
6. I think theres a great range of tech already available but tech can always be made quicker to use.

Hope this helps, if you need anymore info I'd be happy to help.
Thank you so much for the thoughtful responses! they are very helpful!
alien777
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Age/Gender: 22/female

- I have a hard time with spelling and grammar, also learning foreign languages has been very hard for me

- Not very much since I know how to study in ways that work for me now. It has made learning languages in school very hard over the years and I struggled to pass those subjects.

- I was diagnosed at 15 and my college offered me extra time in exams. Not much other support though.

- I was given overlays and information about technology when I started college.

- I found the overlays made it easier to read since the contrast was lower. I've used voice readers for academic papers online etc, but they have been pretty bad/ I haven't found a good one yet.

- Yes, I would like to be able to read e-books and journals online easier, I haven't found an app that has worked well for me yet.
DreamingOverseas
Rep:
?
Thanks so much! This is very helpful for my project (: !
maisiex10x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
I'm 15 and am just about to do my GCSEs. I'd be really interested if you need any help!

Mainly maths tbh, finding graphs extremely hard, negative numbers, reading music as lines moving around, terrible spelling!

Dyslexia, affects my life quite dramatically. Not being able to do sightreading with music, also affecting self esteem as sometimes feel quite stupid!

Age 9, picked up however age 14 formal diagnosis

Use pink coloured overlays, Grammarly! Comic sans font, more distinguished letters

Overlays allow easier reading

100%
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (617)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (768)
42.01%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (362)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (81)
4.43%

Watched Threads