Am I overweight?

Watch this thread
username4403404
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
I'm a 14 year old girl. I'm 5'3 and weigh 128 pounds (58Kg).
I'm a lot bigger than most of the other girls in my school and I was wondering if this is considered to be overweight for my height and age. If so, do you have any tips on how to lose weight really fast, any responses will be much appreciated.
Purplebottle
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
You can check if you are overweight using the bmi calculator on the nhs website
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
losing weight fast is never a good idea at any age. your school should be teaching you about sensible eating and exercise.
username4403404
Rep:
(Original post by Purplebottle)
Okay, thanks.
homemadeclock
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
losing weight really fast never works as you won't stick to it, just cut sweets out
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I've just done a BMI calculation for you, and it states that you are currently a healthy weight. But weight isn't the full story by any means. It's important that you eat healthily and exercise - you can still be a "healthy" weight but lead an unhealthy lifestyle.
username4403404
Rep:
(Original post by homemadeclock)
losing weight really fast never works as you won't stick to it, just cut sweets out
Is there anything else I could cut out, as I don't really have sweets that much?
homemadeclock
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
crisps
username4403404
Rep:
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
I've just done a BMI calculation for you, and it states that you are currently a healthy weight. But weight isn't the full story by any means. It's important that you eat healthily and exercise - you can still be a "healthy" weight but lead an unhealthy lifestyle.
Okay, thank you for the advice.
homemadeclock
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
tbf you're too young to care at this point just live your life, if you aren't eating too many bad things you will be fine
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You shouldn't really worry about this stuff at your age
Just eat decent food and do a bit of sport and you're fine
username4403404
Rep:
Thank you.
gmsb09
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Don’t do that. It says I’m obese and I’m generally not. Please don’t be worrying about this at 14, I know that’s easier said than done but take it from someone who knows and is constantly struggling with her weight. Pls pls just be happy with yourself and if your not, go on a few runs but don’t constantly weigh yourself or worry about dieting or if you’re ‘overweight’ cus it’s not worth it and ur so much more than a number on a scale. I’m always here if you need to PM me or talk about weight or anything but I’m sure you have so many people around you that you can talk to about it if it is becoming a concern.
username4403404
Rep:
(Original post by wordsandroses)
Don’t do that. It says I’m obese and I’m generally not. Please don’t be worrying about this at 14, I know that’s easier said than done but take it from someone who knows and is constantly struggling with her weight. Pls pls just be happy with yourself and if your not, go on a few runs but don’t constantly weigh yourself or worry about dieting or if you’re ‘overweight’ cus it’s not worth it and ur so much more than a number on a scale. I’m always here if you need to PM me or talk about weight or anything but I’m sure you have so many people around you that you can talk to about it if it is becoming a concern.
I know it's not that important or anything, but a some people call me overweight at my school. I'm a lot larger in comparison to them though as most of them are quite slim and taller than me too.
Thank you though.
gmsb09
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sapphire_Rose)
I know it's not that important or anything, but a some people call me overweight at my school. I'm a lot larger in comparison to them though as most of them are quite slim and taller than me too.
Thank you though.
Don’t listen to them. I get it so much but I also get my closest friends telling me I’m not and it’s just a bad road to go down so just be yourself and people who are rude and horrible don’t matter: they are irrelevant, so why listen to them.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
no you're not overweight
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
You’re 14 and you haven’t really “blossomed”. Don’t worry you’ll grown and your body would be proportional but it obviously it mostly depends on your body type
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
@OP - BMI isn’t a great measure of anything. It’s an outdated system that has little indication as to whether or not you’re healthy.
username1876553
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sapphire_Rose)
Hi,
I'm a 14 year old girl. I'm 5'3 and weigh 128 pounds (58Kg).
I'm a lot bigger than most of the other girls in my school and I was wondering if this is considered to be overweight for my height and age. If so, do you have any tips on how to lose weight really fast, any responses will be much appreciated.
I remember when I was 12, I was a healthy weight (37kg) but I always saw myself as more. I starved myself and worked out for hours on end, I'd go days with just an apple and glass of water. It worked and I managed to maintain the damaging routine up until 16. I realised that the diet held no nutritional benefits and only deprived my body from developing. At your age, what you eat and your level of activity will determine the general structure of your future body. But don’t forget that it can always change.

These are some tips for what I’d recommend as meals that worked for me, they’re more or less easy and quick to make.

- A bowl of oats, preferably made with water if the taste is favourable, with honey and fruits. Try to avoid adding sugar.
- A slice of brown bread with a spread, something like pineapple jam, a little butter isn’t a problem. Have it with a warm cup of ginger or honey tea.
- Cooked veggies, boiled eggs with baked chicken, the list goes on. Research around the foods you like, a healthier alternative is often easy to find.

Replace carbs such as rice with couscous for when you can, complex carbs contain higher quantities of fibre, really good for digestion and staying full for longer.

The times you eat throughout the day is crucial, try to avoid eating 3 hours before you go to bed and allow 2 hours of no eating after each main meal. Snacking is fine, fruits, popcorn, nuts etc. but stop as soon as you feel full. The main tip I’d give you is water, drink it whenever you feel hungry out of meal times. A litre a day being the minimum.

Along with a healthy diet, 8 hours of sleep and exercise is a must. In a day try 60 minutes of low-intensity activity, so walking, housework etc. Then 40 minutes of high/moderate-intensity exercise, swimming, cycling, cardio workouts. 20 minutes of stretching every day is essential, it relaxes the muscles and distresses the body.

Good luck with your journey !
Last edited by username1876553; 3 years ago
username4403404
Rep:
(Original post by Dunya)
I remember when I was 12, I was a healthy weight (47kg) but I always saw myself as more. I starved myself and worked out for hours on end, I'd go days with just an apple and glass of water. It worked and I managed to maintain the damaging routine up until 16. I realised that the diet held no nutritional benefits and only deprived my body from developing. At your age, what you eat and your level of activity will determine the general structure of your future body. But don’t forget that it can always change.

These are some tips for what I’d recommend as meals that worked for me, they’re more or less easy and quick to make.

- A bowl of oats, preferably made with water if the taste is favourable, with honey and fruits. Try to avoid adding sugar.
- A slice of brown bread with a spread, something like pineapple jam, a little butter isn’t a problem. Have it with a warm cup of ginger or honey tea.
- Cooked veggies, boiled eggs with baked chicken, the list goes on. Research around the foods you like, a healthier alternative is often easy to find.

Replace carbs such as rice with couscous for when you can, complex carbs contain higher quantities of fibre, really good for digestion and staying full for longer.

The times you eat throughout the day is crucial, try to avoid eating 3 hours before you go to bed and allow 2 hours of no eating after each main meal. Snacking is fine, fruits, popcorn, nuts etc. but stop as soon as you feel full. The main tip I’d give you is water, drink it whenever you feel hungry out of meal times. A litre a day being the minimum.

Along with a healthy diet, 8 hours of sleep and exercise is a must. In a day try 60 minutes of low-intensity activity, so walking, housework etc. Then 40 minutes of high/moderate-intensity exercise, swimming, cycling, cardio workouts. 20 minutes of stretching every day is essential, it relaxes the muscles and distresses the body.

Good luck with your journey !
Thank you so much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
25.77%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (53)
54.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.12%

Watched Threads