The Student Room Group

Copper IUD fail

Hi guys,

I had a copper IUD insertion yesterday with a nurse at the sexual health clinic. However she couldn't insert it as the second hole in the uterus wasn't opening up. So now i have to wait for a consultant to email me for a second fitting attempt.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so was it successful the second time round? Or were you not able to have the coil at all? What happens if they fail the second time round as well?

Thank you in advance.
Hiya,

I didn’t have this problem but however, I did get the Jaydess IUD (hormonal) about 2 weeks ago.
The Jaydess IUD is the smallest type of IUD (I believe) so if the copper coil is too big to enter your uterus, maybe you should opt out for something smaller? It lasts three years but maybe the procedure would be less painful since it’s smaller?
Three years is still quite a long time, and it does come with its benefits - lighter/no periods, less cramping but for a small number of women, problems such as breakouts and mood swings might occur.
If your period flow is already medium/heavy and you get cramps then try the Jaydess or Mirena IUD because the copper coil would only make it worse
But talk to your doctor and do your research beforehand! :smile: xxxx
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya,

I didn’t have this problem but however, I did get the Jaydess IUD (hormonal) about 2 weeks ago.
The Jaydess IUD is the smallest type of IUD (I believe) so if the copper coil is too big to enter your uterus, maybe you should opt out for something smaller? It lasts three years but maybe the procedure would be less painful since it’s smaller?
Three years is still quite a long time, and it does come with its benefits - lighter/no periods, less cramping but for a small number of women, problems such as breakouts and mood swings might occur.
If your period flow is already medium/heavy and you get cramps then try the Jaydess or Mirena IUD because the copper coil would only make it worse
But talk to your doctor and do your research beforehand! :smile: xxxx

Thank you for your response!

For me the main reason i opted for the copper one is because i didn't want any extra hormones. How are you finding the side effects? I didn't find it too painful when they were attempting to insert it so it's just so frustrating!:frown: I will talk to my doctor when I next get the chance, Thank you!xx
Oohhh to be honest I was quite scared of the copper one since it just comes with more pain, cramping and bleeding :frown: the only benefit I saw to it was that it lasts for 10-12 years but I decided that I wouldn’t want to face 7 days a month of heavy bleeding and being in pain since my flow is already super heavy so the Jaydess will hopefully make them lighter.

If you go on the copper coil, maybe you’ll experience a longer duration of your period which will be heavier and more painful but if your period is light right now (in general) then hopefully the flow won’t be THAT heavy

I actually told the doctor that I didn’t want the hormonal one at first because I didn’t want to break out and have scars, but she was saying that it’s only a small amount of levonorgestrel (imitates progesterone) in your system and it won’t cause a drastic change in your body. She also said that these side effects like mood swings and break outs MIGHT happen but it’s not guaranteed because each person is different. So I decided I’d take the Jaydess IUD because it’s smaller and my periods wouldn’t be heavier.

For me, I’m breaking out quite a bit but it’s probably due to my diet as well because I’ve been eating a lot of junk food and I’ve been having crazy cravings for donuts 🤣 I’ve been happy I’ve only had one day where I was being *****y at my bf but that’s probably because he pissed me off anyway but other than that I’m feeling okay!! I’ve had like three days of cramps which were quite bad but it only happened during the afternoon - night. I didn’t take any painkillers though so maybe if I took some, my cramps wouldn’t have been that long if you get what I mean??

Oh yes also, I asked my doctor if there were going to be any other side effects and she said normally when a girl gets an IUD inserted, naturally your body would want to reject this device because it’s “foreign” to the body, so cramping and pain is normal for the first few days/weeks. Also, I’ve been spotting nearly everyday and apparently this will last from 3-6 months until my body adjusts and gets used to this IUD.

I’m taking vitamin e tablets for my skin but it might be better to get the oil and apply it directly to your skin or mix it with your daily moisturiser. There’s also a clay mask called the Aztec Indian healing clay which is basically a powder and you can buy it off amazon (like £15 for a big pot of it) and mix it with either water or apple cider vinegar to cleanse the skin so maybe try a new skin care routine as well! I’m still new to this IUD so I’ll see how it goes and comment any more tips and changes that I find here.

And no problem it’s all good!!☺️ xxxx

Quick Reply

Latest