HS2 accused of ‘unacceptable’ damage to wildlife' Watch

Spirithorse
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Wildlife experts have accused the company behind HS2 of failing to make adequate environmental preparations as it plans to build over irreplaceable habitats.

The Wildlife Trusts say the new railway will cause “unacceptable” damage to nature, without sufficient efforts to conserve the woodlands and endangered species that will be harmed.

As a public consultation into the environmental impact of the scheme comes to a close, the organisation have urged the government-owned company to increase efforts to restore threatened wild places. They also called on HS2 Ltd to save habitats like wetlands and ancient woodlands, which take hundreds of years to form and are considered irreplaceable.

The company’s own figures show the latest phase under consideration will impact over 100 important wildlife sites.

Is it right to put infrastructure before wildlife? Or can a balance be found?
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
We all knew this was going to happen. It's a disgrace
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm against HS2 but this is a weak argument, if people had always been like this there wouldn't be any roads or railways in the country.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
I'm against HS2 but this is a weak argument, if people had always been like this there wouldn't be any roads or railways in the country.
There's already too much development. We need to work with what we have and the brownfield and redevelopment rather than destroying what little green space we have left
thatapanydude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Spirithorse)
Is it right to put infrastructure before wildlife?
Yes because infrastructure projects like this helping drive growth in the economy. Having faster trains from London to the North as part of a integrated transport network taking traffic from roads can only be a positive economically and for wildlife.

(Original post by Spirithorse)
Or can a balance be found?
It should be but it's seems like the government has overspent by a considerable amount already so it's getting increasingly difficult to spend more money on tunnels, which are desperately needed as you said to avoid wildlife devastation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads