Digital Effects Ma vs 3D Computer Animation Ma at Bournemouth

Watch
durns
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I received a scholarship to take a Master course at Bournemouth University in a few years time when I finish my studies.

I have the choice between:

-Digital effects
-3D Computer Animation
-Computer Animation & Visual Effects

I've ruled out Computer Animation & Visual Effects as I don't know any programming and I don't plan on going down the technical route.

I'm just wondering if anyone here knows anything about the digital effects or 3D animation ma course here?
I'm still stuck between them as I here the digital effects course is of a higher standard and the 3D animation course is more basic and runs through the introductions to software.

A bit about myself:
I am currently working in a video games studio as part of a placement year. I have worked in an animation studio and I currently studying 3D animation in Belfast university. so I am fairly familiar with maya, zbrush, substance painter, marvelous designer and photoshop for concept work. I have little to no experience in Houdini and nuke which are the main software at the Digital effects course. I am happy to learn them, especially if the 3D animation course is more of a skim through the basics of Maya etc.

I have a healthy amount of experience in 3D softwares and I want to take the course that is a bit more in depth to improve my skills even greater.
Last edited by durns; 2 years ago
BU Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by durns)
Hi, I received a scholarship to take a Master course at Bournemouth University in a few years time when I finish my studies.

I have the choice between:

-Digital effects
-3D Computer Animation
-Computer Animation & Visual Effects

I've ruled out Computer Animation & Visual Effects as I don't know any programming and I don't plan on going down the technical route.

I'm just wondering if anyone here knows anything about the digital effects or 3D animation ma course here?
I'm still stuck between them as I here the digital effects course is of a higher standard and the 3D animation course is more basic and runs through the introductions to software.

A bit about myself:
I am currently working in a video games studio as part of a placement year. I have worked in an animation studio and I currently studying 3D animation in Belfast university. so I am fairly familiar with maya, zbrush, substance painter, marvelous designer and photoshop for concept work. I have little to no experience in Houdini and nuke which are the main software at the Digital effects course. I am happy to learn them, especially if the 3D animation course is more of a skim through the basics of Maya etc.

I have a healthy amount of experience in 3D softwares and I want to take the course that is a bit more in depth to improve my skills even greater.
Hi, have you attended an open day here at Bournemouth where you can listen in to all of the course talks and speak with academics? It may also be worth emailing [email protected] to see if they could put you in touch with the programme leads so you can ask which of the courses would best suit you and your experience.

If you have any other questions about the uni please ask.

Vicki
durns
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by BU Students)
Hi, have you attended an open day here at Bournemouth where you can listen in to all of the course talks and speak with academics? It may also be worth emailing [email protected] to see if they could put you in touch with the programme leads so you can ask which of the courses would best suit you and your experience.

If you have any other questions about the uni please ask.

Vicki
Thanks for the response Vicki, I will get in Contact with the BU future students
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (61)
29.61%
No (145)
70.39%

Watched Threads