The Student Room Group

Funding for Dental Hygiene/Therapy as a second degree

I currently study biomedical science at undergraduate level and plan on applying to a postgraduate Dentistry degree in September 2019. I understand the funding available for postgrad dental students but i'm curious about how they differ for students wanting to go on and study dental hygiene and therapy as a second degree.
Do you receive full funding from Student finance? Or because its a second degree do you have to pay the course fees yourself?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by GLeigh
I currently study biomedical science at undergraduate level and plan on applying to a postgraduate Dentistry degree in September 2019. I understand the funding available for postgrad dental students but i'm curious about how they differ for students wanting to go on and study dental hygiene and therapy as a second degree.
Do you receive full funding from Student finance? Or because its a second degree do you have to pay the course fees yourself?
Thanks in advance :smile:

Hello,

From the 2018/19, academic year students including NHS Secondees studying an eligible Dental Hygiene/Therapy (DHDT) course that leads to professional registration will have any years of previous study and Equivalent Level Qualifications (ELQ) disregarded by SFE, as long as the student is not already registered in the profession they are now studying towards.

Thanks, Lynsey.
Does this mean you can apply for tuition fee through student finance as well as maintenance loan?
Original post by niki23196
Does this mean you can apply for tuition fee through student finance as well as maintenance loan?

Hi Niki,

Is this going be a two years diploma?

Regards,
Nihad
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi Niki, Is this going be a two years diploma?Regards,Nihad
Hi thanks for your reply .it is the diploma at Sheffield that I have been looking at it says it’s three years but with the last year just being the 1st term . It says 27months online ,thanks niki
Original post by niki23196
Hi thanks for your reply .it is the diploma at Sheffield that I have been looking at it says it’s three years but with the last year just being the 1st term . It says 27months online ,thanks niki

Hi Niki,

That's fine, although Dental Hygiene Therapy courses generally last 2 years, you will still receive funding if it is longer than this.

Thanks, Andy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending