I have chosen LSB as one of my options for University Watch

zeniinez
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have gotten mixed views about London south bank. I want to do a marketing course. I chose London south bank as it has low recruitment, has a marketing course and due to teacher persuasion of the area being up and coming. I thought why not.

My question:
1) Is London south bank a good university and a great place to study marketing?

2) Does a university that has a high graduate prospect mean that the university is of great standard?
Last edited by zeniinez; 1 year ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
LSB...?

Also you haven't actually asked a question or anything, so it's unclear what you're looking for in a reply
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
London South Bank?
zeniinez
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
LSB...?Also you haven't actually asked a question or anything, so it's unclear what you're looking for in a reply
London south bank, apologies. My question was is London south bank a good university. Also, another question is does a university having a high graduate prospect mean anything. As London south bank have a decent graduate prospect for the course of marketing but are not ranked in the top 30 tier.
zeniinez
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
London South Bank?
Yes, London south bank
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zeniinez)
London south bank, apologies. My question was is London south bank a good university. Also, another question is does a university having a high graduate prospect mean anything. As London south bank have a decent graduate prospect for the course of marketing but are not ranked in the top 30 tier.
Yes, London south bank
Have a look at UNISTATS for the course in question - it will not only tell you the proportion of graduates in employment, but break it down by sector so you can see what sectors and kinds of jobs graduates actually end up in (so you can see if the 100% employment rate is in professional level roles, or in e.g. retail etc).

Rankings are kind of nebulous and not always a good metric, but it depends on the course and your goals. For e.g. banking, they usually align with what the target universities for them. For other subjects such as allied healthcare professions, design courses, engineering and so on, they don't always align with the reality of things. Look at the methodologies used by the rankings to determine how useful they are for you (some for example put a lot more weight on student satisfaction, others invent nebulous metrics which boil down to "how much do we like this university"; these can skew rankings considerably depending on what you're trying to find out from them).
zeniinez
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Have a look at UNISTATS for the course in question - it will not only tell you the proportion of graduates in employment, but break it down by sector so you can see what sectors and kinds of jobs graduates actually end up in (so you can see if the 100% employment rate is in professional level roles, or in e.g. retail etc).

Rankings are kind of nebulous and not always a good metric, but it depends on the course and your goals. For e.g. banking, they usually align with what the target universities for them. For other subjects such as allied healthcare professions, design courses, engineering and so on, they don't always align with the reality of things. Look at the methodologies used by the rankings to determine how useful they are for you (some for example put a lot more weight on student satisfaction, others invent nebulous metrics which boil down to "how much do we like this university"; these can skew rankings considerably depending on what you're trying to find out from them).
Thank you very much for the feedback. I will take heed on it. Also, I admire your vocab.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
[QUOTE=zeniinez;81098990]I have gotten mixed views about London south bank. I want to do a marketing course. I chose London south bank as it has low recruitment, has a marketing course and due to teacher persuasion of the area being up and coming. I thought why not.

My question:
1) Is London south bank a good university and a great place to study marketing?

In short, London South Bank is not considered a particularly good Uni, no. There will be better places to do Marketing, but it depends on whether you are likely to get the grades to get into them. What are your other options?
zeniinez
Rep:
?
UWE Bristol, Hertfordshire, St Mary, Canterbury christ church .[/quote]
University of Hertfordshire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
UWE Bristol, Hertfordshire, St Mary, Canterbury christ church .
[/QUOTE]

Hi zeniinez,

As artful_lounger said, it depends on what your goals are and what is most important to you. For example would you like to be able to take a work placement as part of the course? would you like the course to be accredited? Are the extra curricular opportunities important?

Have you been to an open day at London South Bank? Open days are a great opportunity to see the universities for yourself and speak to lecturers for each course.

Apart from unistats, you could also take a look at the Teaching Excellence Framework which rates universities teaching quality as gold, silver or bronze.

I'd also recommend having a look if there's any information or case studies on the types of jobs and companies that graduates have found work. This is often more useful than the overall employment figure.

It's great to see Herts is on your list of options, if you'd like to know more about the course here at Herts, just let me know

Thanks,
Heather
zeniinez
Rep:
?
Hi zeniinez,

As artful_lounger said, it depends on what your goals are and what is most important to you. For example would you like to be able to take a work placement as part of the course? would you like the course to be accredited? Are the extra curricular opportunities important?

Have you been to an open day at London South Bank? Open days are a great opportunity to see the universities for yourself and speak to lecturers for each course.

Apart from unistats, you could also take a look at the Teaching Excellence Framework which rates universities teaching quality as gold, silver or bronze.

I'd also recommend having a look if there's any information or case studies on the types of jobs and companies that graduates have found work. This is often more useful than the overall employment figure.

It's great to see Herts is on your list of options, if you'd like to know more about the course here at Herts, just let me know

Thanks,
Heather
Thank you, for the valid information. Yes, I would like to know more information about the university of Hertfordshire. In addition, I am planning to go to a london south bank open day. Moreover, I would like to know more information about what a accredited course is because I have seen that some marketing courses are accredited for CIM and some are not.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 1 year ago
University of Hertfordshire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zeniinez)Hi zeniinez,

Thanks,
Heather

Thank you, for the valid information. Yes, I would like to know more information about the university of Hertfordshire. In addition, I am planning to go to a london south bank open day. Moreover, I would like to know more information about what a accredited course is because I have seen that some marketing courses are accredited for CIM and some are not.
No problem!

We have two campuses which are about a 15/20 min walk apart, de Havilland (where you will be based) and College Lane. Each campus has accommodation, a library, a gym, cafe and restaurant. There's also a pub and nightclub on College Lane. We have an active students programme which offers free sport activities each week (there's really cool things like hip hop dancing and pickleball) and our Students' Union has loads of societies for you to join.

Our next open day is on the 6th February if you want to take a look around: https://www.herts.ac.uk/study/open-days/open-days

As part of the course you can take a work placement and/or study abroad which is a great addition to your CV! Some of our students have completed placements with Walt Disney, Hugo Boss and BMW. You also have the option to study a language alongside your degree.

You might like to take a look at this video - Riarna completed her placement with us in the Marketing team

An accredited course means that a course has reached the standards set by a professional body. The course here at Herts is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) which means you have the opportunity to study for CIM professional qualifications - which is great as employers often look for these qualifications.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away!

Thanks,
Heather
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (98)
13.08%
1 (94)
12.55%
2 (94)
12.55%
19.36%
22.56%
19.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed