The Student Room Group

Contract law problem question

I am particularly stuck on the email part, what rule applies as I am not sure if postal rule applies. Can someone break down this question for me and offer a outline? Thanks, it would be much appreciated.
QUESTION:
First Class Events (FCE), an events firm based in Essex run by Laura, won a contract to put on and manage a number of events with a new client, Essex Football Club. The contract was worth a significant amount of money and one of the conditions was that Essex Football Club could terminate the contract after the first event if they were not happy with the service. The first event was the opening of the new home stadium of Essex Football Club and lots of celebrities and business people were going to be in attendance. To fulfil this contract, FCE decided they needed to hire some temporary workers. FCE contracted 25 people to help with the first event on condition that they would each be paid £100 per day. FCE provided only minimal training as they all said on their CV that they had experience in events.

One day before the first event, FCE required all 25 workers to attend the venue to go through some training. Only 15 workers turned up. Laura called a local agency to enquire about getting some more workers but they were charging three times the rate that FCE had budgeted for and so she decided not to hire anyone else. Laura instead contacted an old colleague, Aiden, to see if he might be able to help her out with the event. Laura’s email to Aiden at 10 am said that she would offer him £1000 if he could find 5 people to help out. Aiden replied a couple of hours later on the same day, ‘Ok, I can do it.’ However, Aiden’s email was held up by a malfunction at the internet service provider, meaning that Laura didn’t receive it until 4 pm. Laura emailed Aiden at 2pm to revoke the offer with immediate effect as she had a change of heart and thought she could make the event work with just the 15 workers. Aiden received Laura’s email at 6 pm.

On the morning of the event, only 10 of the 25 workers arrived. After two hours of hard work, setting up tables, preparing the food and drink and dressing the venue, the workers started complaining to Laura, saying “we didn’t sign up for this” and “there aren’t enough staff”. The workers approached Laura saying “we’ve had a chat and we have all decided that we will walk out if you don’t give us more money, it isn’t worth the stress otherwise”. Laura was keen to keep them working as she knew how important it was that the venue was ready for the big opening that evening so she said “ok, if you manage to get everything done on time I will pay you each £250 on this occasion, but please just get back to work”.

The workers all pulled together and worked hard to finish the venue on time and make the event a success. Essex Football Club were very happy and agreed to the two year contract with FCE for all of their events management. The workers all submitted claims to FCE for £250 but Laura only paid them £100 each because they had done no more than they initially promised to do.

Advise FCE:

(i) whether they have to pay the additional money that Laura agreed to pay the workers;

(ii) whether there was a contract between FCE and Aiden.
What do you think???

No one in here is going to breakdown the question and offer you an outline.

People on here will help you were you are willing to help yourself - i.e tell us what you think and why you think it is that and we can help guide you where appropriate. Saying you don't understand and can someone basically hand feed me everything is not the right way.

To start off with, you will have been taught everything you need to know to answer this question. Just off the top of my head there are numerous cases for what constitutes acceptance via modern day technology.
Original post by james_law
What do you think???

No one in here is going to breakdown the question and offer you an outline.

People on here will help you were you are willing to help yourself - i.e tell us what you think and why you think it is that and we can help guide you where appropriate. Saying you don't understand and can someone basically hand feed me everything is not the right way.

To start off with, you will have been taught everything you need to know to answer this question. Just off the top of my head there are numerous cases for what constitutes acceptance via modern day technology.

I think the postal rule cannot be applied here if I am correct as it is instantenous communication?
I think that she can revoke the offer as she has not received his acceptance
Also could you help me find cases recent ones where modern technology is used?

Thank you
Original post by Surabhi Somani
I think the postal rule cannot be applied here if I am correct as it is instantenous communication?

Thank you

i AM STUCK ON WHETHER POSTAL RULE CAN BE APPLIED OR NOT AND IF NOT WHAT RULE?

Thank you

Use Westlaw / Lexis or whatever Legal Database your university use, alternatively you could find cases in the relevant chapter of your contract Law book if you bought them as part of your studies or go in the Library and see if they have a copy.

Also if you really stuck whether postal rule doesn't apply, it would be ideal to speak to your lecturer and they can help you understand.

Thank you

A simple google brings up all the cases and in fact all the answers you need.

One great quality of being a good law student is being able to do your own independent research to solve a problem. The sooner you start the easier it will be for you at a later stage :smile:

Good Luck!
A simple google brings up all the cases and in fact all the answers you need.

One great quality of being a good law student is being able to do your own independent research to solve a problem. The sooner you start the easier it will be for you at a later stage :smile:

Good Luck!

Hey! Thanks! I am still struggling to find cases involving acceptance received after revocation.
Guys I just wanted to ask a quick question, is there an invitation to treat here, I dont think so but my friend does. PLEASE HELP!!!
Also in my eyes there is a contract, what do you guys think?
Original post by surabhi somani
hey! Thanks! I am still struggling to find cases involving acceptance received after revocation.
Guys i just wanted to ask a quick question, is there an invitation to treat here, i dont think so but my friend does. Please help!!!

urgent help is needed! Please reply asap! Thank you!
You have been given adequate instruction. You need to look at your textbook. The best source overall is Chitty on Contracts. And you can do your own legal research by searching for cases, and reading them, on Westlaw/Lexis or indeed bailii.

There is little point telling us to reply asap, when you have had weeks to do the work yourself. We come here to discuss the law because we enjoy discussing the law; not to help people find basic cases they should have been taught 3 weeks into the course. We are not here to make up for your laziness.
Hey! Thanks! I am still struggling to find cases involving acceptance received after revocation.
Guys I just wanted to ask a quick question, is there an invitation to treat here, I dont think so but my friend does. PLEASE HELP!!!

They are definitely easily found through a simple google search, keep looking.

Is he referring to the tender? That is an invitation to treat.

Also when you say there is a contract, which contract are you referring to exactly, as there are multiple ones.
they are definitely easily found through a simple google search, keep looking.

Is he referring to the tender? That is an invitation to treat.
What is messing with my head is whether it is an invitation to treat, i think this is clearly offer and acceptance, what do you guys think?
And it is a unilateral contract.
Also im going to say the postal rule doesnt apply but mention its relevance, cases ive searched in westlaw cant find any where email is not received or it is received later.
Also when you say there is a contract, which contract are you referring to exactly, as there are multiple ones.

unilateral cotnract

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending