Can't go to school because of anxiety/stomach noises - need help!

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Last month in English I was overcome with anxiety and i started to shake and my heart was beating really fast, this was the first time the stomach noises started to happen in lessons. I continued going to lessons that week in hope that that was just a one off and it wouldn't happen again. However, the stomach noises kept happening in the quietest lessons- and i can't control it. Even when my stomach makes a slight sound Im overcome with anxiety and it happens more. Now I can't go to school because of this and haven't been going for about 3 weeks in the fear that my stomach will make the loudest noises and everyone will hear. I feel like im letting everyone down especially when the school is trying to help me- but even the thought of school and being in a quiet classroom scares the **** out of me. The causes for these stomach problems are unknown to me now as they just happen randomly, but its really knocking my self confidence down and I just feel so worthless. I haven't left my house for a month because I'm so scared of going out now. I just want these sounds to stop so I can go back to school!!
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you should make an appointment with your GP.
Lysxy__
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I completely get this!! I actually suffer from the same kind of anxiety too, and it’s the worst... We had an assembly a few days ago and I had a panic attack because we were with so many students in such a silent place! I’ve tried explaining this to people but nobody seems to take me seriously...I try to take sweets everywhere I go with me, because having something to suck on usually helps me and sometimes makes the noises quieter. I also try to bring a drink with me too!!You should maybe make an appointment with your doctor to see if there’s anything to help, as you may have something like IBS.I know diet can affect your stomach too, so maybe you should google stuff like that to see if there’s anything in your diet that could be causing the noises!!Hope I could help a bit <3
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Last month in English I was overcome with anxiety and i started to shake and my heart was beating really fast, this was the first time the stomach noises started to happen in lessons. I continued going to lessons that week in hope that that was just a one off and it wouldn't happen again. However, the stomach noises kept happening in the quietest lessons- and i can't control it. Even when my stomach makes a slight sound Im overcome with anxiety and it happens more. Now I can't go to school because of this and haven't been going for about 3 weeks in the fear that my stomach will make the loudest noises and everyone will hear. I feel like im letting everyone down especially when the school is trying to help me- but even the thought of school and being in a quiet classroom scares the **** out of me. The causes for these stomach problems are unknown to me now as they just happen randomly, but its really knocking my self confidence down and I just feel so worthless. I haven't left my house for a month because I'm so scared of going out now. I just want these sounds to stop so I can go back to school!!
Go and see a doctor!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I have the same exact problem. I've always felt alone about this and cowardly because no one really understands at my school or in my family. I discovered it from last year when I had an exam in history and I became very overwhelmed and my stomach started making these queesy noises which made me panic. I've been terrified to go to school ever since, and it only ever happens in silent rooms! I looked into it and at first I believed it was sedatephobia (fear of silence) but when im alone in a silent place it doesnt bother me as much. it only ever happens when im around people in a quiet room. I figured it was gastrointestinal distress so I tried some remedies for that. It helped a bit, but the fear is still there that something COULD happen again. I reccomend breathing techniques. If you feel yourself start to panic because of your stomach, close your eyes and count your breaths it will calm you and your stomach wont act up due to the anxiousness. Also, try going to the bathroom before class or whenever you feel yourself start to get anxious, it seems to help me. Whenever my stomach ends up making noises, I will say that im hungry or kinda joke about it so people will laugh it off. other than that, Stay positive
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had this as well a few times a few years back but it wasn’t a big deal. It is annoying but it is just a noise that passes quickly and I started laughing when it happened in biology almost every time for a while. It becomes more humerous than anything else.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
Immediate solution: Loperamide (freezes digestive muscles)

Long term solution: Therapy for Social Anxiety

This issue is simply an outlet for your Social Anxiety - I will explain below. But in the meantime, take Loperamide for an immediate solution.

The same issue has plagued me for the last ten years since I was 14. It first happened in an exam, but it was nothing to do with hunger - more my lower intestinal tract pushing gas around. The thing is, no one even seemed to notice or laugh, but I was still overcome with this crippling feeling of embarrassment and the feeling that I just wanted the ground to swallow me up. It was honestly the worst feeling I had ever experienced. The worst part was, no one understood what I was going through. When my headteacher left in secondary school, we had an impromptu assembly with the entire school of 1000 students and I was the only one sat outside the assembly hall.

What I have discovered after 10 years is this that this issue stems entirely from Social Phobia. Sure, you can tailor your diet to eliminate gas, but as long as you're still socially anxious, the noises will continue. It is simply an outlet for your Social Anxiety. I know this because when I started University, my entire course was sat together in a silent room for the introductory speech. No one was even talking at first because they didn't know each other, so no background noise. Classic anxiety-provoking situation. I sat, waiting for my guts to start churning and cause embarrassment. However, they didn't; I was constipated so the air that would usually move around my guts and cause noise, stayed in place. This was so bizarre for me because I didn't have an outlet for my anxiety. Then, the teacher made us walk around the classroom and introduce ourselves to random people. As I was speaking to this person, my face all of a sudden flushed with heat and I went bright red. Uncontrollable red. I had no idea why and I had never experienced anything like this before. In the middle of this person's sentence, I rushed out of the room and didn't come back, without saying a word. This person was probably left totally bafled and thought I was a complete weirdo.

From then on, I developed Face-Turning-Red-When-Speaking-To-Anyone Phobia. I couldn't order a coffee without turning bright red, I couldn't answer the front door to the Postman without the fear of turning red and at my lowest point, I couldn't even have a conversation with my own Mother without turning red! But the funny thing is, since developing this new Social Phobia, the 'uncontrollable' fear of my stomach making a noise in a quiet room totally disappeared! I was no longer afraid of sitting in a quiet room or highly controlling my diet to eliminate gas. All of my Social Anxieties were now preoccupied with the fear of my face turning red. I couldn't even understand why I used to be so nervous about quiet rooms before now.

Then, after three years of suffering from Red Face, one day, I was having dinner at a family friends house that I had never been to before. We were all sat around the dinner table and it was dead silent. I felt a gurgling sensation in my lower gut that would intermittently get louder and louder. I got the urge to pass gas, but the bathroom was right next to the dining room and I didn't want anyone to hear. I got myself so worked up about my gas gurgling - that everyone could obviously hear but were too polite to comment on - and from then on, like at the flick of a switch, my Red Face Social Anxiety had completely disappeared and was replaced again with my stomach noises in quiet room anxiety. I wonder what it will be next?
ewarner2000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have chronice generalised anxiety disorder and suffer from similar stomach noises! they started about a year ago and coincidentally, I also noticed them in English! I found for me it was mainly when stressed and mentally rehearsing answers to questions (I hate being asked to share things in classes). now, luckily, they've calmed a little and I've learnt that even if I think they're loud, it's a bit like when someones stomach rumbles and theres nothing i can do otherwise. if people dont like it that's their problem and no one notices anyway.

know that you are always valued and worthy no matter what. I hope you try and stay positive and that it gets better
lamb9595
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I am so glad I have come across this discussion. for me, these noises started when i was in secondary school in an exam. After this, I was given my own room to do exams in both in school and during A-Levels. when I went to university, I had regular panic attacks because I was incredibly anxious that my stomach would start making these noises. I was not anxious in silence, only in silence where there were other people. I hadn't experienced these noises for a good few years then suddenly a few months ago, they came back. I am currently doing a counselling course and have had to leave the sessions because of the panic attacks associated with these stomach sounds. when I try and explain it to people they think it sounds ridiculous.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by lamb9595)
I am so glad I have come across this discussion. for me, these noises started when i was in secondary school in an exam. After this, I was given my own room to do exams in both in school and during A-Levels. when I went to university, I had regular panic attacks because I was incredibly anxious that my stomach would start making these noises. I was not anxious in silence, only in silence where there were other people. I hadn't experienced these noises for a good few years then suddenly a few months ago, they came back. I am currently doing a counselling course and have had to leave the sessions because of the panic attacks associated with these stomach sounds. when I try and explain it to people they think it sounds ridiculous.
Yes but you do realise that you need therapy help to deal with this. It is learned behaviour. Often these anxiety issues are to do with something that happened years ago.
Ella moorin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i get this!!!! I get this all the time in my exams or in assembly’s. It’s the worst! But the thing with me is that I bring it on myself. Nothing actually causes it but me being so nervous about my tummy rumbling, makes my tummy rumble because I’m so nervous! If I manage to take my mind off of it it won’t make a noise but the second I think of it, it can make a hugely loud noise in 5 seconds. Then I get all hot and sweaty and nervous and embarrassed because of it. I can’t concentrate in lessons anymore when it’s silent because I’m so worried about it!!!
Noelle quan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I have this to. It sucks. I have recently figured out that it is anxiety and unfortunately you can do anything about it unless you somehow change your mindset. I had gone to various hospitals over the past 4 years and they all find something little that is going on with me. I actually developed an enlarged spleen becuase of the stress with this. And like most people it is only in a quiet room next to people. It’s all the mindset of people judging you over something you have no control over. I hate it. But even though I still have it and we still have it there is no medication and nothing that can help you until you help yourself by figuring yourself out. Breathing never worked. You have to just cope with it and realize and keep telling yourself it’s not a big deal.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Noelle quan)
I have this to. It sucks. I have recently figured out that it is anxiety and unfortunately you can do anything about it unless you somehow change your mindset. I had gone to various hospitals over the past 4 years and they all find something little that is going on with me. I actually developed an enlarged spleen becuase of the stress with this. And like most people it is only in a quiet room next to people. It’s all the mindset of people judging you over something you have no control over. I hate it. But even though I still have it and we still have it there is no medication and nothing that can help you until you help yourself by figuring yourself out. Breathing never worked. You have to just cope with it and realize and keep telling yourself it’s not a big deal.
Sounds like a stress related disorder?
butterup7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I have the same thing. It developed when I was a freshmen, the second semester. My stomach made a noise and I felt embarresed about it and didn't want people to think I was farting. I now know why it happens, I suffer from loniness which caused my depression, then triggered my anxiety, which then causes the stomach noises. I think I feel at ease when people talk is because my mind is on their conversations and not on my stomach, but when quiet and alone with my thoughts it happens. I try my hardest to prevent it by rearanging the way I sit, standing up, or walking around the classroom (But then you have those teachers). I get panic attacks a lot on school days, especially in the morning. It came to a point where I had a breakdown because of it at school, so I couldn't deal with it on my own anymore and had no choice but to tell my mom and counsel. I had to get a 5o4, seperate testing for exams or big tests at my school. But they really can't do much for regular classes, so my counsel made me a yellow pass for me to show a teacher if I have a panic attack to excuse me out the class for any reason. Usally I tell my teachers before hand about this, some find it confusing, others weird, some understandable. We try different things together seeing if I like music in the background (doesnt work always), put a fan or a loud device on (classmates complain its cold or too loud), and etc. My teachers even let me work in the halls and test in the halls or in a empty classroom with a teacher there. I like working outside better but I get questioned a lot for being in the hall. I always feel guilty for leaving class because 1. I feel like I miss out in class discussions or activity 2. I feel I annoy my teachers and counsel with it because I'm pesistent 3. I feel the other kids judge me and see me for being weird for always leaving class. I'm a junior and only have 1 year left to go. So in the end I FEEL these things but I shouldn't even care because as long as I'm still passing, I can't annoy you anymore when I graduate in a year and, so what if they think I'm weird. Guys, just keep moving forward, if your keeping this for the fear of feeling judged talk to someone you know and trust, and especially your counsel if in school. No one will hear your cries for help if you don't say anything, then you'll end up coming to a breaking point like me. At least let someone who you'll think will understand like parents, teachers, counsel, a friend, doctor, or people online. I will get through it and so will you.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by butterup7)
I have the same thing. It developed when I was a freshmen, the second semester. My stomach made a noise and I felt embarresed about it and didn't want people to think I was farting. I now know why it happens, I suffer from loniness which caused my depression, then triggered my anxiety, which then causes the stomach noises. I think I feel at ease when people talk is because my mind is on their conversations and not on my stomach, but when quiet and alone with my thoughts it happens. I try my hardest to prevent it by rearanging the way I sit, standing up, or walking around the classroom (But then you have those teachers). I get panic attacks a lot on school days, especially in the morning. It came to a point where I had a breakdown because of it at school, so I couldn't deal with it on my own anymore and had no choice but to tell my mom and counsel. I had to get a 5o4, seperate testing for exams or big tests at my school. But they really can't do much for regular classes, so my counsel made me a yellow pass for me to show a teacher if I have a panic attack to excuse me out the class for any reason. Usally I tell my teachers before hand about this, some find it confusing, others weird, some understandable. We try different things together seeing if I like music in the background (doesnt work always), put a fan or a loud device on (classmates complain its cold or too loud), and etc. My teachers even let me work in the halls and test in the halls or in a empty classroom with a teacher there. I like working outside better but I get questioned a lot for being in the hall. I always feel guilty for leaving class because 1. I feel like I miss out in class discussions or activity 2. I feel I annoy my teachers and counsel with it because I'm pesistent 3. I feel the other kids judge me and see me for being weird for always leaving class. I'm a junior and only have 1 year left to go. So in the end I FEEL these things but I shouldn't even care because as long as I'm still passing, I can't annoy you anymore when I graduate in a year and, so what if they think I'm weird. Guys, just keep moving forward, if your keeping this for the fear of feeling judged talk to someone you know and trust, and especially your counsel if in school. No one will hear your cries for help if you don't say anything, then you'll end up coming to a breaking point like me. At least let someone who you'll think will understand like parents, teachers, counsel, a friend, doctor, or people online. I will get through it and so will you.
Yes, it pointless suffering in silence or to bother about being judged. I think a qualified counsellor is a must in these situations!
Niminem
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Same thing happened to me in my sophomore year of high school. I never had this problem before until that day. I just felt scared and my heart was beating so fast, and the more nervous I got , the more the stomach made noises. I am now in college but not after going through so much pain that no one understands. I still have these problems and I try to take online classes when available. But when it is not, I talk with my professors so they understand whats going on. They usually let me take my exams and quizzes outside or before class starts. Also, let them know that you need to take walks or use the restroom often, whenever these things flare up. More techniques I used are bringing water. This can help calm you and squeezing the bottle to make noises also covers up some noise your stomach makes. Holding my backpack against my body, also helps me cope with it. You should talk to your professor and try going to the disability center. Thats what I am planning to do.
Cloudiii
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I am so glad I found this forum omg. I get the same thing and have had it for like 3 years now . But I’m really glad I’m not alone. I probably need to go to the gp just in case but I’m honestly so scared so don’t really wanna.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Cloudiii)
I am so glad I found this forum omg. I get the same thing and have had it for like 3 years now . But I’m really glad I’m not alone. I probably need to go to the gp just in case but I’m honestly so scared so don’t really wanna.
But go to your gp. It may be something simple, like too much stomach acid or nervous tension?
kiddum12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hello! did you end up coming up with a solution? I have been trying to figure out why this has been the case for YEARS!! It might've started during eighth grade but ever since I have developed a hurtful way to keep the noises from happening... I will suck in/bend my stomach to keep the noises from happening. This has severely hurt mt stomach because of how often I do it. Even after I eat it will still happen and because of this fear, I always make sure to eat plenty before school out of fear. I also have social anxiety and have been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety so I am so glad to finally find others who are going through the same thing I'm going through.
danikate
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by kiddum12)
Hello! did you end up coming up with a solution? I have been trying to figure out why this has been the case for YEARS!! It might've started during eighth grade but ever since I have developed a hurtful way to keep the noises from happening... I will suck in/bend my stomach to keep the noises from happening. This has severely hurt mt stomach because of how often I do it. Even after I eat it will still happen and because of this fear, I always make sure to eat plenty before school out of fear. I also have social anxiety and have been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety so I am so glad to finally find others who are going through the same thing I'm going through.
Hey! This is my first post, & I made this account because I want to share my story & give some tips of my own. I’m currently a freshman in college, however my first experience with this issue was in my freshmen year of high school. From what I can recall from that day, I had barely eaten the whole day. So I was in my last class of the day, which was math btw, & we had a quiz. So obviously it was super silent & all of a sudden, my stomach started making noises. I got nervous & tried to cover up the sounds by flipping my paper as loudly as I could 😂 I guess the more & more anxious I got, the louder & more frequent the sounds got. So it got so loud to the point where a few students who were sitting around me heard the noises & began to laugh. Of course, I was mortified & honestly traumatized by this event. In the moment I thought I had to use the bathroom, but in reality, I was just hungry.
Anyway, I don’t want to say I became depressed as a result, but I struggled a lot with this anxiety & felt as if I was carrying a heavy burden on my shoulders. On top of that, I felt so stupid & embarrassed to even tell my parents what was going on with me because it truly sounds ridiculous to say “Hey, I’m petrified of other people hearing my stomach make noises.” In the next few weeks, I didn’t even want to hang out with family members or friends, that’s how bad it was. For the remaining of my freshmen, sophomore & a part of my junior year, I really had no solution & really dealt with this problem day by day. A lot of days I felt drained & would cry because I had no hope. I contemplated doing virtual school, I would constantly have my mom pick me up early from school when the anxiety got really bad or I knew I had a test coming up. She was very understanding though, for that I’ll forever be grateful for.
But then the SAT’s were coming up. This form of testing is very specific, if I can remember, desks have to be three feet away from each other. I put this test off for such a long time because I was terrified. Not of how I would actually do on the exam, but to be surrounded by other students in a quiet setting for so many hours. This is when my mom & I decided to speak to a therapist to see if I could sort out my issue. He was honestly no real help, he told me stomach noises were normal & when stomach digests food, it causes those noises. Yeah, well OBVIOUSLY. What I’ve come to realize is that it’s all mental. It truly is a vicious cycle. There was nothing wrong with my health, I even took a test to see if I had a gluten allergy, which I didn’t. I was just so anxious about my stomach making noises that my brain sent signals to my stomach to make noises cause I’m so freaking anxious. So back to the therapist, ultimately we asked him to give us a document that states I have a disability which would then allow me to qualify for the 504 plan. Best. Decision. Ever.
Honestly I felt kind of ashamed at first to be considered “disabled” but in reality, so many people suffer from so many different issues, whether it be mental or health, we just don’t know what people are suffering from. So anyway, this allowed me to test outside of classrooms in school & take the SAT test in a separate room. Would classmates ask why I’m taking the test outside? Yeah, but what I would tell them is that I have anxiety from testing with other students because I feel like I’m competing with them & want to finish the fastest. So okay, not true at all, but for some reason it helped me feel better 🤷*♀️ Also, if I felt anxious during class, I would normally ask the girls around me “Do you have a pad?“ or “Do you have Midol? My stomach’s killing me” which normally signifies to the people around me, I’m on my period, I have cramps, my stomach’s making noises, be understanding. I don’t want to encourage lying, but for some reason this helped put my mind at ease.
Fast forward to senior year, I wasn’t under as much stress & had made a really good group of friends. In the morning, I had art & a virtual class, & I would constantly have to poop in the morning, so I would go to a secluded bathroom where rarely anyone entered, brought my wipes with me, & did my business. This is very important because I’ve noticed that when I’m in a class & have to poop, it makes my situation MUCH worse. My stomach would hurt & make noises even more. As soon as I’d poop, I’d feel much better, relieved basically. So if you’re in high school, try to pick a class in the morning that is stress free & allows you some leniency to go use the bathroom without anyone hounding you.
Now that I’m at the end of my freshmen year of college, some tips I have are if possible, try to sit away from others. I personally like to sit in a corner all the way in the front of the classroom & put my bookbag on the desk behind me so no one sits there. It may seem rude or kinda silly, but it helps! For me at least. I guess I feel the more personal space I have, the more comfortable I am. Also, with my 504 plan, I’m able to take exams in a separate room which has helped tremendously. Seriously, if there’s one thing you can take away from all of this, get a 504 plan! It also gets you extra time which is super beneficial in college.
I know this may seem all over the place, but I truly feel very happy with the life that I’m living & have so many goals for the future. I remember thinking “I could never have a boyfriend, I can never get married. How will I get through college?” Question after question plagued me. & one day I had an eye-opening moment where I just knew life had so much in store for me, that it wasn’t the end of the world. I honestly never thought I would be able to overcome this issue, believe me when I say I would look up forums like these & just get so sick to my stomach because I wanted an answer, I was so desperate for one. I felt so alone, like I was the only one suffering from this. Trust me when I tell you, it gets better. You’re not alone. & don’t get me wrong, I still have those days where anxiety rules my world. I’ll freak out from time to time, but I learn to look on the positive side of things. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with you, people suffer from so many issues, it’s kind of rare if someone’s not suffering from anything at all! Like they say, if it’s not one thing, it’s another. So have hope, & if you’re still in high school/college, just remember that you’ll never see these people ever again! So at the end of the day, who cares what they think? I hope that to anyone who’s reading this, that you overcome this issue or learn to cope with it. Don’t beat yourself up, if anything, try to help others with their problems. It will help you to realize how small yours may seem compared to others. It will also give you a deeper sense of appreciation for life. You’re strong, I believe in you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (45)
23.56%
Less motivated (146)
76.44%

Watched Threads