The Student Room Group

unhappy at my uni

I go to KCL - doing well, 2:1 first term, got interviews for first year schemes, first year rep of a society etc

I have made lots of friends but something feels majorly off about london life.

Can I move to Bristol in my second year to do my second year? The course is too big, the college a bit too distant, london life is too intense for me

Academically, I should be ok, I got A*A*A*A, got a few firsts in my first essays and have already got a lot of work experience nailed through london opportunities.

What about socially? I feel like people know me at KCL and will go on nights on with me, but I wouldnt say I have friend friends.. I know it is early but I want a calmer uni experience :frown:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Lawstudent3432
I go to KCL - doing well, 2:1 first term, got interviews for first year schemes, first year rep of a society etc

Can I move to Bristol in my second year to do my second year? The course is too big, the college a bit too distant, london life is too intense for me

Academically, I should be ok, I got A*A*A*A, got a few firsts in my first essays and have already got a lot of work experience nailed through london opportunities.

What about socially? I feel like people know me at KCL and will go on nights on with me, but I wouldnt say I have friend friends.. I know it is early but I want a calmer uni experience :frown:

If you are genuinely unhappy, your first port of call is your personal tutor. Have you contacted anyone at Bristol to see if transferring is possible?
People quite often do transfer to another Univeristy at the end of the first year as long as the modules are very similar (which I think they would be with Law) and the second Uni has a vacancy on the course.

You need to email the Law Admissions Office at Bristol and explain your situation, tell them what modules you will be completing in Year 1 and what grades you have achieved so far. They may be closed now for the Christmas holidays but will get back to you in the New Year and give you advice about what to do. If they can offer you a place going directly into Year 2, it would be worth asking if you could get a place in Halls also (if that is what you would like to do). I know someone who transferred from Birmingham to Nottingham University and Nottingham offered her a place in Halls as it was effectively her first year in a new city and this helped her to make friends.
Reply 3
As above, and there's a FAQ on how to do it here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
University Transfer FAQ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the replies everyone.

What about the social aspect of fitting back in already formed social groups at bristol? :frown:
That is obviously tricky and is why I suggested asking Bristol if you could get a place in Halls, so you would be mixing with other people new to Bristol.

It is one of the downsides to transferring to a new Uni and only you can decide if the advantages outweigh the potential disadvantages
Original post by Lawstudent3432

Hey! Well done! Sounds like your doing great so far:smile: Maybe just have a look at the options you have and go from there? People i know have done this so it is a possibility
Sophia

Quick Reply

Latest