The Student Room Group

Why do middle/upper class people look down on working class people!

I’m from a working class background and my single mum who’s always been on low income works as a playground supervisor and school cleaner and back when my dad was living with me he’s a welder and constructor site labourer.

I’d lie to people telling them that my mum is a teaching assistant instead because if I told them that’s she’s a cleaner of a primary school and lunch time supervisor for fear this people would want to judge me and my family.

If I told the working class person that I’m lost in my career and had no choice to be on the doll they’d be “Theres no shame in it mate, there’s always light at the of the tunnel and you’ll find your way out” but if it was a middle class person the same thing they’d be like “It sickens my that my heard earned go towards you scroungers becuase you’re too lazy to get a job” The working class gets treated in such degrading way by higher classes and the government of course because of their job titles and career paths. Not everyone’s cut out for higher education and I think there’s should be more enrichment and less shaming for individuals who’d choose to do vocational courses and apprenticeship schemes especially people with disabilities.

Scroll to see replies

I think that’s quite a sweeping generalisation to make.

It’s not the middle class who make fun of people with supposedly ‘worse’ jobs, but simply ‘*******s’ who do.
Reply 2
Most middle classes tend to go the high education routes like university and also most of them are pro EU
Have you ever met anyone who has actually said those things to you?
Reply 4
Original post by Duncan2012
Have you ever met anyone who has actually said those things to you?

Yes
Original post by Anonymous
Most middle classes tend to go the high education routes like university and also most of them are pro EU

Indians are however opposed to the EU.
Reply 6
Original post by muthalganesan18
Indians are however opposed to the EU.

White middle class liberals I’m on about

Most the middle class I meet are Brexiteers, so you lost me there.

Why does it matter to you? I'm working class and if anything I feel sorry for half the people I meet at University, because they're absolutely clueless about the real world.
White middle class liberals I’m on about

You need to break the figures down. Do you support immigration from Eastern Europe? Do you like the Migrants? You'll find very difference answers beyond easy holidays to Spain. Another good example is whether one likes the Euro.
a bit of a sweeping generalisation.

I have a mate who told me he didn't want to sit next to any of my wife's friends at our wedding becuase they are upper class and tories...essentially you can have ballbags on both sides of this devide.

Normally it comes down to individual insecurities...as a working class interloper I've experienced that insecurity myself but generally speaking most people from our generations irrespective of class are pretty similar and decent.
The middle class looks down on the working class all the time. As well as the points made in the OP, regional accents are ridiculed and labelled as sounding thick or stupid, chav bashing is rife, there is a dislike of things that the working classes tend to enjoy (for example Grime or Hip Hop or even football to some extent). It's quite noticeable if you are working class.
Original post by AndrewMarkSP
Most the middle class I meet are Brexiteers, so you lost me there.

Why does it matter to you? I'm working class and if anything I feel sorry for half the people I meet at University, because they're absolutely clueless about the real world.

You're a mature student and they're 18. That might be why you know more about the real world than them.
Reply 12
...but if it was a middle class person the same thing they’d be like “It sickens my that my heard earned go towards you scroungers becuase you’re too lazy to get a job”.

i think you're confusing your politics. that's not a liberal saying that to you. liberals are pro social welfare and pro social services. non-liberals are anti social services because they're pro lower taxes and pro individual responsibility. they believe life is what you make of it, equality of opportunity and all that.

i'm sorry some people are being d*cks to you but it's not fair to generalise an entire social class. you'll find snobs in every socio-economic group. speaking as someone who grew up working-class and will die working-class in a mound of student debt. i took an online test once and apparently i'm the lowest class in the country. lol
I am working class. In my life experience, I have found that it’s the working class who look down on the working class and not the middle class.
Original post by Joleee
i think you're confusing your politics. that's not a liberal saying that to you. liberals are pro social welfare and pro social services. non-liberals are anti social services because they're pro lower taxes and pro individual responsibility. they believe life is what you make of it, equality of opportunity and all that.

i'm sorry some people are being d*cks to you but it's not fair to generalise an entire social class. you'll find snobs in every socio-economic group. speaking as someone who grew up working-class and will die working-class in a mound of student debt. i took an online test once and apparently i'm the lowest class in the country. lol

“Die working-class in a mound of student debt”

What a true statement, I feel you sister :rofl:

I can understand your situation OP.
My mum was a dinner lady and my Dad a plasterer when I was growing up. And I used to be on the receiving end of some snide comments too. I remember feeling like **** when I had to mark my name on the register to get EMA. So weird looking back at all that!

I remember one of my friends ranting that it’s not fair that she doesn’t get EMA because her parents “work hard”. Yet ironically her mum was a cosy, middle class house wife. And anyone who says that manual labour isn’t hard work needs to spend a week on a construction site.

People look down on the working class because it makes them feel better. It’s more comforting to feel that working class people struggle financially because they are lazy, or because of some wrong-doing, than to recognise and acknowledge their hardship. It’s far more comfortable to blame the individual.
Original post by Paulwyn
a bit of a sweeping generalisation.

I have a mate who told me he didn't want to sit next to any of my wife's friends at our wedding becuase they are upper class and tories...essentially you can have ballbags on both sides of this devide.

Normally it comes down to individual insecurities...as a working class interloper I've experienced that insecurity myself but generally speaking most people from our generations irrespective of class are pretty similar and decent.

Now, old people...they can go **** themselves.

Generalising mean grouping everyone together l. I don’t say everyone, I said ‘most’ and as for your mate, good on him.
Generalising mean grouping everyone together l. I don’t say everyone, I said ‘most’ and as for your mate, good on him.

why good on him? picture it the other way around. If someone said to you 'I'm not talking to them beause they are working class and Labour voters', your response (and i'm sure most people's) would be 'what a total bell end'.

So, why good on him?
Cos they can and everyone always takes the opportunity to be schadenfreude. People are ****.
Reply 18
All classes look down on other classes for one reason or another.
6 of my 7 children were born in SE England. We lived in a small town, new and old money, professional people. We had a council house. My children did well academically and we were well know in the town. They didn’t go to the same schools as the other kids on the estate because they were rubbish schools. They went to the newer schools built for the influx of people into the town where businesses were starting up. They were better schools and I wanted more for my kids than I ever had. The locals on the estate made no bones about the fact that we were rising ‘above our station’ or so they thought. One woman told me she thought I was betraying my class. I told her to **** off that I was who I was.
I moved to a town nearer where my children lived when one of my grandchildren came to live with me. We got the same here. Oh, that’s her that home schools her grandkid. Our schools aren’t good enough for her grandkid. We ran the gauntlet of it for years. He wasn’t well enough for school but I saw no reason to explain myself. They did the same with my neighbour’s daughter when she got into Oxford. Made her life hell. I’ve met more working class snobs in my lifetime than you can shake a stick at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending