The Student Room Group

Should i apply for a vacation scheme? - bad grades

I'm in my second year of law at the moment and I should be applying to Vacation Schemes but my academic record just sets me back a bit...

I'm hesitant because I just feel like my grades put me at a disadvantage (despite mitigating circumstances) and I've been feeling so anxious about applying

To give you a bit of background:

BCC at a-level but got into a good Russell group uni because of an unconditional offer.

59% 1st year results

I have evidence of mitigating circumstances for first year but none for a-levels as I didn't apply for it :frown:

I have experience in working at a law firm every summer, attending tribunals where I shadowed a barrister, law school BAME mentor, part of a society, extra-curricular achievements etc.

Please could someone advise me on whether it's worth applying this year? Do I have a chance in securing a VC at all? or whether I should wait and get more law related experience this year, including bumping my grade to a 2:1 at least, then apply in my third year
Reply 1
Thank you for your incredibly detailed and helpful response
Original post by mdciv99
I'm in my second year of law at the moment and I should be applying to Vacation Schemes but my academic record just sets me back a bit...

I'm hesitant because I just feel like my grades put me at a disadvantage (despite mitigating circumstances) and I've been feeling so anxious about applying

To give you a bit of background:

BCC at a-level but got into a good Russell group uni because of an unconditional offer.

59% 1st year results

I have evidence of mitigating circumstances for first year but none for a-levels as I didn't apply for it :frown:

I have experience in working at a law firm every summer, attending tribunals where I shadowed a barrister, law school BAME mentor, part of a society, extra-curricular achievements etc.

Please could someone advise me on whether it's worth applying this year? Do I have a chance in securing a VC at all? or whether I should wait and get more law related experience this year, including bumping my grade to a 2:1 at least, then apply in my third year

In my opinion, there's no harm in trying and applying but realistically I feel you're not going to get it since they'll likely be tough competition for it (though I wouldn't know how tough the competition because I never did/applied for Vac scheme).

Since your academic record in terms of A-levels is weak, they'll be plenty of applicants with far better A-levels and experience and they may be preferred over you. Perhaps, by getting 2:1 in second year and having alot more legal work experience under your belt could gloss over your A-levels.

Well that's my two cents anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending