The Student Room Group

Long distance- should I break it off?

So I've been seeing a guy since about October. He doesn't actually go to uni and he's currently just gone offshore. He's been gone less than a week.
Right before he left, we on and off fought. I wanted to break up with him at points but then couldn't do it as I liked him too much.
Thing is, he's very insecure and needs constant affection and reassurance over text. I'm busy with work and my family, especially now it's xmas. I just feel like it's a chore sometimes and more so, the things he says I find SO (!!!) cringey and weird.
Thing is, I can't just end it. We have plans to meet really soon. My family love him. Most importantly, he's SO fragile. Like last time we almost broke up he kept crying and begging which made me bend.
I know talking like this about him probably means we should break up as I clearly don't like him as much as he likes me, but I also don't want to. I just hate the constant phone calls and texts and need for attention, it's too much for me.

Do I end it? Am I just being really immature?
Original post by junebug4
So I've been seeing a guy since about October. He doesn't actually go to uni and he's currently just gone offshore. He's been gone less than a week.
Right before he left, we on and off fought. I wanted to break up with him at points but then couldn't do it as I liked him too much.
Thing is, he's very insecure and needs constant affection and reassurance over text. I'm busy with work and my family, especially now it's xmas. I just feel like it's a chore sometimes and more so, the things he says I find SO (!!!) cringey and weird.
Thing is, I can't just end it. We have plans to meet really soon. My family love him. Most importantly, he's SO fragile. Like last time we almost broke up he kept crying and begging which made me bend.
I know talking like this about him probably means we should break up as I clearly don't like him as much as he likes me, but I also don't want to. I just hate the constant phone calls and texts and need for attention, it's too much for me.

Do I end it? Am I just being really immature?

In the long term it doesn't look like it will work out. I perhaps had this myself in the past as the one who in need. I was unbalanced and long term it becomes quite toxic with so much pressure being on you to provide their happiness whilst living your own life. It was only after we broke up did I realise where I had gone wrong and went down a path to improve myself. Put yourself first even if it may hurt them initially.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending