The Student Room Group

America vs Britain

I was talking to online friends from the UK and USA.

Some said they would rather be the opposite and some their own.

What does TSR think?
British obvs. We actually go to school whereas it's a damn shooting range over there.
The USA is beautiful and truly free. But it is such a big country, and thus has even more issues than the UK.

I would buy a holiday home somewhere sweet in America, and live in the UK.

But the UK is safe, and we have Europe for travel at 1% the price Americans pay.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
The USA is beautiful and truly free. But it is such a big country, and thus has even more issues than the UK.

But the UK is safe, and we have Europe for travel at 1% the price Americans pay.

another one is how lit high school is. secondary is boring as hell.
Neither but probably the UK.
UK defo.
Reply 6
wow. i thought everyone would choice america..!
Reply 7

At the risk of sounding like I need a new tinfoil hat: the USA is deluded about its freedom. They're controlled by the state, entertainment/media companies, the food industry, and pretty much everything else. Their freedom is an illusion. A lie. They're probably one of the least free countries in the "civilized" world.
Original post by Tootles
At the risk of sounding like I need a new tinfoil hat: the USA is deluded about its freedom. They're controlled by the state, entertainment/media companies, the food industry, and pretty much everything else. Their freedom is an illusion. A lie. They're probably one of the least free countries in the "civilized" world.

I suppose I understand your point, you are definitely not a tin-foil sounding person lol. Perhaps I just meant they can do some stuff we can't in the UK 😂 both good and bad
Original post by Anonymous
I was talking to online friends from the UK and USA.

Some said they would rather be the opposite and some their own.

What does TSR think?

I was British, but now have dual nationality and live in California - my choice.

Can we swap you Trump for May? Please!
I suppose I understand your point, you are definitely not a tin-foil sounding person lol. Perhaps I just meant they can do some stuff we can't in the UK 😂 both good and bad
Like?
USA is glorified imo. From tourist experience, USA is great to visit but overwhelming to live in. I wouldn't last more than three weeks there. Too much cheap, fat food. Poor public transport and car ownership mania leading to bad traffic and smog, lowered working standards and college fees horror stories, blatantly biased media and endless consumerism.
Original post by Tootles
Like?

Guns, to a certain extent. Weapons in general, you cannot purchase pepper spray in the UK (but there is an alternative). One bad thing is that anyone in the USA can call themselves a doctor, which makes people think they are an MD when they are a sham. They can smoke weed legally in some states too.

Some people would say they have a greater freedom of speech, but idk, I am sure they have had a few scandals involving this just like the UK?
That’s the same to do with any country you just need to know if that lifestyle and pay is better to live on in America or England and tbh I would rather buy a house in America because you get so much for your money
Original post by Anne1111
That’s the same to do with any country you just need to know if that lifestyle and pay is better to live on in America or England and tbh I would rather buy a house in America because you get so much for your money

no idea what you're on about mate but ok
Their lack of nationalised healthcare would be a deal breaker for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending