The Student Room Group

Scholarship for Masters year

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to gain from the experience of others here! I need to find and apply for a postgraduate scholarship for a 1 year masters level course. Has anyone applied for and successfully received funding? What was the process like and where did you find available scholarships? Is it likely that you can cover the full tuition fee cost with one scholarship amount? Can you apply for and be granted more than one scholarship per academic year? Sorry so many questions in one go!

Thank you,

Joan
Original post by MsPhD25
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to gain from the experience of others here! I need to find and apply for a postgraduate scholarship for a 1 year masters level course. Has anyone applied for and successfully received funding? What was the process like and where did you find available scholarships? Is it likely that you can cover the full tuition fee cost with one scholarship amount? Can you apply for and be granted more than one scholarship per academic year? Sorry so many questions in one go!

Thank you,

Joan

The funding available to you will depend on whether you've done masters level study before, and if you're a home, EU, or international student. More info will help people provide more appropriate answers. :smile:
Generally they give a couple of grand and take it off your tuition. You can find charities and whoever else to pay for the whole lot, but they're few and far between.

You can go on the findaphd site, it has some master's stuff on there and go on your uni's funding pages to see if they have any info.
Reply 3
Original post by PhoenixFortune
The funding available to you will depend on whether you've done masters level study before, and if you're a home, EU, or international student. More info will help people provide more appropriate answers. :smile:

Ah yes that would have helped! I am doing a masters at the moment, I'm a Scottish mature student so won't be eligible for SAAS funding second time around.
Original post by MsPhD25
Ah yes that would have helped! I am doing a masters at the moment, I'm a Scottish mature student so won't be eligible for SAAS funding second time around.

Okay, so you obviously can't get the postgraduate loan again. Unless you approach charities/trusts or find an employer to sponsor you, you can apply for a studentship from a research council. These are usually offered as '1+3' packages of funding, which provides tuition fees and a stipend for a masters degree (the '1' part of the package) and a PhD (the '+3' part of the package). This is really only ideal if you want to carry on and do a PhD after the masters though, so you'll have to check with research councils to see if they offer just masters funding if you aren't interested in a PhD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending