The Student Room Group

Imposible to meet my conditional offer...

I have a conditional offer that is impossible to meet because it includes an additional exam that is held on the same date as my state school leaving exam (I am an EU applicant).

Any advice please?

Thank you.
Reply 1
You just take them both on the same day. You'll be put under quarantine so you can't communicate with anyone who might have taken the exam that day.
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
You just take them both on the same day. You'll be put under quarantine so you can't communicate with anyone who might have taken the exam that day.

Unfortunately it is physically impossible - my state exam is in the morning -- the same time as an additional exam. Plus, I have to travel across the country to the dedicated exam centre to take an additional exam.
Reply 3
Original post by al ch
Unfortunately it is physically impossible - my state exam is in the morning -- the same time as an additional exam. Plus, I have to travel across the country to the dedicated exam centre to take an additional exam.

Contact the university admissions office for advice.
Reply 4
Contact the uni explaining your situation and ask for advice. I'm sure they got lots of international applicants and will be able to give you specific guidance.
Reply 5
Original post by al ch

Then you will have to ask the university concerned for their advice. Before you contact them, check with your school or college whether there is any way of managing this.
Reply 6
Original post by al ch

So you have two exams in two separate places that start at the same time? Contact the admissions office of whichever uni is requiring you to take that extra exam.
Reply 7
Thank you very much for all of the advices.

Should I consider their offer as a polite rejection?

I am wondering if anyone had a similar experience.
Original post by al ch

Not a polite rejection as they wouldn't give you an offer if they didn't want you to come to the university or think you could meet it, because that would just be a waste of time, when another student could get the same place that you have been offered but have instead been rejected because the offer was given to you.
Original post by al ch

There will be a way to take both these exams if that is what the uni wants - you could be driven to the other venue whilst being supervised. Contact the uni and explain ...
Original post by al ch

No, it isn't a 'polite rejection'. You presumably stated in your application that you were taking both these exams? The uni can't know (especially as you not UK based) that the sittings occur on the same day, let alone that it may not be possible for you to do both. In the UK, if a candidate has an exam clash it is usually managed - as someone mentioned above - by making sure that they are continually supervised from when they come out of one exam until they go into the other.

You won't be able to speak to anyone now until the New Year, but you will need to contact them ASAP after that, once you know for sure that that there is no way of you being able to sit both exams this time round and there isn't another opportunity to take the exam and get the result before the middle of August 2019. The options then are: (1) the uni can decide to amend the conditions of your offer so that only one of the exams is required - they are likely to state which one they want, or (2) the uni insists on both qualifications, in which case you will not be able to meet their requirements, and therefore should not pick this uni as either your firm or insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest