dropping out and reapplying to the SAME uni

Watch
bluebirdoneo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Basically, I feel like I've done it wrong. I've been at university for four months now and I am nowhere where I wanted to be. I imagined my experience to be completely different.

I love the course, but it's the people. It seems like everyone is a clone of everyone else - they all put on this front of being super outgoing and preppy. I have not met people who are actually genuine and have real personalities (if that makes any sense). It sounds spiteful of me, but it seems everyone is just putting on this fake front in a desperate attempt to make friends. In the first few weeks I understood why, but by now its just tiring.

And now for why I want to drop out and 'reapply' - more like postpone my studies. The people here as well as a few events that have happened during my uni experience thus far, has taken a huge toll on my mental health. I've fallen into a spiral, and although I am receiving medical help, I feel like I cannot get better unless I take a break from university.

I admit I am a bit of a perfectionist and I want everything to go as I've planned out, that is why I am determined to stay at the same uni but start over again next September. I want to change accommodation (for a more social, diverse one). I want to join different societies so I can steer away from the people I've met in the societies I'm currently in (people who I described above). I just feel like if I start uni again, I can do it how I envisaged.

What I guess I am trying to gain from this post is advice. Am I completely crazy for wanting to do this? Has anyone else felt this way? Do I stick it out and risk my mental health even more? Or do I leave, take a few months for myself and start first year again this September?
Justmac
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think if you are experiencing difficulties with your mental health and a break is the best option then do it but speak to your programme director to see whether you could just defer a year rather than having to reapply. I know this was possible for one of my peers.

Secondly if you choose to do this then you need to recognise that nothing will be perfect and you could the repeat only for the same thing to occur again.
DarkChaoz95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Best get your defer your studies until you get better, this is possible as I was considering this and spoke to my programme tutor about this (in the end didn't defer). If you start again, It's going to have a bit of financial implication I believe.

I would definitely recommend taking time off university as health comes first. Also may I ask, are you seeing a counselor in addition to your medical help or is that the medical help your referring to?
hallamstudents
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey bluebirdoneo

I think this may also be a case of you lowering your standards. You can't expect whatever life throws at you to be perfect and to fit your own mould, sometimes you just have to weather the storms and get on with things.

Try speaking to your course leader / student officers, as I transferred to a different course within the same university and was thankful for it ever since. The process can be surprisingly easy

Josh
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly lots of people feel like this. I think if you start over you risk ending up in the same situation. You'd be better off going out and finding a way to fix the situation yourself. And that could help your mental health too. Go join societies and find the friends that work for You.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bluebirdoneo)
Basically, I feel like I've done it wrong. I've been at university for four months now and I am nowhere where I wanted to be. I imagined my experience to be completely different.

I love the course, but it's the people. It seems like everyone is a clone of everyone else - they all put on this front of being super outgoing and preppy. I have not met people who are actually genuine and have real personalities (if that makes any sense). It sounds spiteful of me, but it seems everyone is just putting on this fake front in a desperate attempt to make friends. In the first few weeks I understood why, but by now its just tiring.

And now for why I want to drop out and 'reapply' - more like postpone my studies. The people here as well as a few events that have happened during my uni experience thus far, has taken a huge toll on my mental health. I've fallen into a spiral, and although I am receiving medical help, I feel like I cannot get better unless I take a break from university.

I admit I am a bit of a perfectionist and I want everything to go as I've planned out, that is why I am determined to stay at the same uni but start over again next September. I want to change accommodation (for a more social, diverse one). I want to join different societies so I can steer away from the people I've met in the societies I'm currently in (people who I described above). I just feel like if I start uni again, I can do it how I envisaged.

What I guess I am trying to gain from this post is advice. Am I completely crazy for wanting to do this? Has anyone else felt this way? Do I stick it out and risk my mental health even more? Or do I leave, take a few months for myself and start first year again this September?
You will just experience everything all over again. If you change uni you may be lucky to meet a different crowd of people, but it'll be the same thing tbh. I think the biggest problem is that you just haven't found the 'niche' you belong.

It's pointless to drop out and reapply for next year. It'd much better to talk to your course coordinator (or tutor) or student support officer, and discuss about your options of leaving temporarily. Y
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (560)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (677)
41.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.56%

Watched Threads