The Student Room Group

How do I make my friend see the importance of getting a 2:1

Hi,

I wondered if I could have some advice. Basically one of my close friends that I live with at uni doesn't seem to care about the degree classification they get. They just want to finish uni.

The thing is they are clever and just lazy. How do I make them see the importance of graduating with a 2:1 and not a 2:2?

Thank you for your advice.
Original post by ritazip
Hi,

I wondered if I could have some advice. Basically one of my close friends that I live with at uni doesn't seem to care about the degree classification they get. They just want to finish uni.

The thing is they are clever and just lazy. How do I make them see the importance of graduating with a 2:1 and not a 2:2?

I think if it's a case of laziness, you can try and be positive and suggest ways to motivate them or even study together but you can't make them do anything by being negative as that might affect your friendship badly.
Reply 2
Are you doing the same or similar course and able to study together?

Otherwise you could study together but not co-operatively. Not too much to be done though unless they get motivated enough, only they can do it and will need a reason they want to commit to.
Hey @ritazip

Just explain to them that getting below a 2:1 is not reflectant of a good grade or a hard worker in university, and that he should step his game up to avoid wasting his time at university.

There's only so much you can do - you can't dictate the course of your friends life. If they won't listen or are too lazy to care, accept that and let them go as they are. It's a nice idea to help others, but some people just aren't prone to change, especially from the voice of a friend.

Hope this helps :smile:
Josh
Original post by ritazip
Hi,

Tbh, if they can't motivate themselves, it's not really up to you to help them find it. University is all about developing an independent work ethic and working under your own steam. You're being a good friend to look out for them, don't get me wrong, but there is only so much you can do. It may be that they've become disillusioned by the whole university experience, or started to really dislike the subject they're studying. If you want to help them, maybe get the root of why they are being lazy in the first place.
This is what came to mind which you could tell him

- Tell him he is gambling his life away, his paying 27K for Higher Education that he on his own will and freedom opted for.
- Most employers will prefer a candidate with a 2:1 than a 2:2 unless they don't care about the classification
- He will later regret it if he doesn't work hard now. Think of it getting a good classification is a means to an end.
- Motivate him in anyway you can.

If the above doesn't work.. well you did what you can, focus on your degree and let him do what he wants. But remind him these three words:

ACTION HAS CONSEQUENCES
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
I think if it's a case of laziness, you can try and be positive and suggest ways to motivate them or even study together but you can't make them do anything by being negative as that might affect your friendship badly.

Okay, that makes sense. I get that by being negative towards them. I will ask them when I see them next what motivates them ect.
Reply 7
Original post by Bio 7
Are you doing the same or similar course and able to study together?

Otherwise you could study together but not co-operatively. Not too much to be done though unless they get motivated enough, only they can do it and will need a reason they want to commit to.

Yes we are. We also live in the same flat together. Of course, the issue is when I sometimes study with my friend, I feel I end up teaching them/ giving them all the answers and don't get much in return.
Reply 8
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey @ritazip

Just explain to them that getting below a 2:1 is not reflectant of a good grade or a hard worker in university, and that he should step his game up to avoid wasting his time at university.

There's only so much you can do - you can't dictate the course of your friends life. If they won't listen or are too lazy to care, accept that and let them go as they are. It's a nice idea to help others, but some people just aren't prone to change, especially from the voice of a friend.

Hope this helps :smile:
Josh

Hi Josh,

Thank you for the advice. I might just remind them the importance of getting a 2:1 for the future ect.
Reply 9
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Tbh, if they can't motivate themselves, it's not really up to you to help them find it. University is all about developing an independent work ethic and working under your own steam. You're being a good friend to look out for them, don't get me wrong, but there is only so much you can do. It may be that they've become disillusioned by the whole university experience, or started to really dislike the subject they're studying. If you want to help them, maybe get the root of why they are being lazy in the first place.

Of course, thank you. That is a good suggestion. I know I only need to focus on myself
Reply 10
Original post by DarkChaoz95
This is what came to mind which you could tell him

- Tell him he is gambling his life away, his paying 27K for Higher Education that he on his own will and freedom opted for.
- Most employers will prefer a candidate with a 2:1 than a 2:2 unless they don't care about the classification
- He will later regret it if he doesn't work hard now. Think of it getting a good classification is a means to an end.
- Motivate him in anyway you can.

If the above doesn't work.. well you did what you can, focus on your degree and let him do what he wants. But remind him these three words:

ACTION HAS CONSEQUENCES

Exactly, they do! I will definetly tell your points to them. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending