Is it time to leave Afghanistan?

Watch
blue900
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Do you believe it's time to leave Afghanistan?

Has the UK and it's allies improved the country?
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We left in 2014...

The people/few soldiers that are based there now are training afghan forces
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Better late than never.

One of the few things trump has stuck by
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Better late than never.

One of the few things trump has stuck by
Will you be saying that when there is an Isis resurgency in Afghanistan and a repeat of 9/11?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by beach700)
Do you believe it's time to leave Afghanistan?

Has the UK and it's allies improved the country?
The UK hasn't yet left Germany after WW2...
blue900
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
We left in 2014...

The people/few soldiers that are based there now are training afghan forces
I believe that the Taliban will come back into power once the Americans leave.

The UK has spent so much money to overthrow the Taliban but they are coming back in my opinion.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

The UK has spent so much money to overthrow the Taliban but they are coming back in my opinion.
yeh probably, fighting guerrilla forces from their own country hasn't exactly had a great track record in terms of resurgence
username1799249
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There was a piece about this on the radio this morning. Apparently the Taliban are growing tired of war. But Islamic State are another matter.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Will you be saying that when there is an Isis resurgency in Afghanistan and a repeat of 9/11?
Highly unlikely but in any case yes.

These things were caused by the west or the zionists in charge getting involved.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

It’s almost like the people would rather the taliban run them than the US or rather the CIA. Good on them. **** NWO imperialism. Hilarious that the left is now in favour of neoconservatism.

If only there was a political ideology that could explain this 😉 Hint: Corbyn Knows 😂
blue900
Rep:
?
It’s almost like the people would rather the taliban run them than the US or rather the CIA. Good on them. **** NWO imperialism. Hilarious that the left is now in favour of neoconservatism.

If only there was a political ideology that could explain this 😉 Hint: Corbyn Knows 😂
The way the Taliban treated women is very horrible, if they come back into power, they will lose all their rights and be brutalized.

The Taliban don't respect their own citizens so I don't understand how their own citizens would support them.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The way the Taliban treated women is very horrible, if they come back into power, they will lose all their rights and be brutalized.

The Taliban don't respect their own citizens so I don't understand how their own citizens would support them.
A) So what, why should I care? You think we should bomb the hell out of them because you think they’re mean?
B) Who are we to go and play god? We used to treat women less equally today, did that mean that some country should just come and invade us? We’d be doing the same thing as the taliban.
C) The taliban probably say the same thing about us in the west: I do not believe we are morally superior than the taliban and don’t think we whites have a moral duty to rule over brown people who we don’t approve of (but I’m also apparently a white suprenacist so go figure)
Pantera Fan Club
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Afghanistan can't be conquered. It is a cold desert, with very little infrastructure, isolated settlements and inhospitable climate. The West were fools to think that throwing conventional military assets into a remote, low-intensity, assymetrical war would yield any positive results. Brezhnev made the same mistake twenty years prior. Afghanistan cannot be won over by masked troops in enormous battle tanks. At the same time, we as a nation cannot commit to risking our troops in the streets of Kabul like that.
username1799249
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Highly unlikely but in any case yes.

These things were caused by the west or the zionists in charge getting involved.
I agree that we bring on much of what we sow but are you really suggesting that leaving Afghanistan to become stateless and run by mercenaries is a good step forward and in our interests?
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We can just drone strike them again 😁
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by paul514)
We can just drone strike them again 😁
Why? This is such a dumb opinion, sorry. The old school left is completely right on this, why can’t we just people alone instead of sending reaper drones to blow up schools?
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree that we bring on much of what we sow but are you really suggesting that leaving Afghanistan to become stateless and run by mercenaries is a good step forward and in our interests?
It is a good step forward because it’s the only way they can become independent and self governing. Why should whitey govern the place indefinitely? You do realise you are advocating colonialism? The only difference is it isn’t benefiting us or the people who live there but the zionists who want the ME to be an anarchical hell hole and have been trying to off any leader strong enough to hold the place together.

It’s not in our interests to get involved at all. How has the average British person benefited from the war in the Middle East?

More refugees

More terrorist attacks

Dead soldiers

Crippled and mentally scarred soldiers who have literally been left to die on our streets.

Billions of pounds wasted that could have gone on infrastructure.

Etc, I could go on.

Blair, Bush, Obama and the rest of the neocons should be forcibly detained and put in an Iraqi prison for what they have done.
username1799249
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is a good step forward because it’s the only way they can become independent and self governing. Why should whitey govern the place indefinitely? You do realise you are advocating colonialism? The only difference is it isn’t benefiting us or the people who live there but the zionists who want the ME to be an anarchical hell hole and have been trying to off any leader strong enough to hold the place together.

It’s not in our interests to get involved at all. How has the average British person benefited from the war in the Middle East?

More refugees

More terrorist attacks

Dead soldiers

Crippled and mentally scarred soldiers who have literally been left to die on our streets.

Billions of pounds wasted that could have gone on infrastructure.

Etc, I could go on.

Blair, Bush, Obama and the rest of the neocons should be forcibly detained and put in an Iraqi prison for what they have done.
I am not advocating colonisation. But at present Allied forces provide security. If that security is lost then as we saw in Syria and Iraq, they don't self govern. The power vacuum is filled by the not so nice. And that then leads to:

More refugees
More terror attacks
Dead soldiers who have to go in and clean up the mess of impatient leadership
Crippled and mentally scarred soldiers who have literally been left to die on our streets
Billions of pounds wasted that could have gone on infrastructure but which had to be spent tidying up poor policy

And so on and so on. There is a pseudo peace in Afghanistan right now. Remove one of the key players and everything is back up for grabs.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am not advocating colonisation. But at present Allied forces provide security. If that security is lost then as we saw in Syria and Iraq, they don't self govern. The power vacuum is filled by the not so nice. And that then leads to:

More refugees
More terror attacks
Dead soldiers who have to go in and clean up the mess of impatient leadership
Crippled and mentally scarred soldiers who have literally been left to die on our streets
Billions of pounds wasted that could have gone on infrastructure but which had to be spent tidying up poor policy

And so on and so on. There is a pseudo peace in Afghanistan right now. Remove one of the key players and everything is back up for grabs.
A) you do know that this was the exact same arguments against dismantling the British empire right? You’re a neo conservative, pro war colonialist. Let them self govern.

B) do you think the CIA backed warlords are nice? We’re the ones who created the power vacuum in the guest place! When the people there do elect the leaders they want who will actually provide peace and stability, people like you complain they should be taken out.,

C) Uh no, we don’t get involved full stop. It’s not our problem. I am perfectly content to watch every Arab kill each other than spend one drop of European blood if that’s what it takes (which it won’t). How many civil wars/ bloody dictatorships has the UK had? Did that mean that the Ottoman Empire or something has the right to come in and start telling us what to do?
username1799249
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A) you do know that this was the exact same arguments against dismantling the British empire right? You’re a neo conservative, pro war colonialist. Let them self govern.

B) do you think the CIA backed warlords are nice? We’re the ones who created the power vacuum in the guest place! When the people there do elect the leaders they want who will actually provide peace and stability, people like you complain they should be taken out.,

C) Uh no, we don’t get involved full stop. It’s not our problem. I am perfectly content to watch every Arab kill each other than spend one drop of European blood if that’s what it takes (which it won’t). How many civil wars/ bloody dictatorships has the UK had? Did that mean that the Ottoman Empire or something has the right to come in and start telling us what to do?
Whatever. I think you read too much into my posts. There is no point in debating with you if you are suggesting I am pro war. You couldn't be further from the truth.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (44)
40.74%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
19.44%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.56%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
8.33%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.33%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.41%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
10.19%

Watched Threads