Summer activities for languages students targeting Oxbridge

Watch
mundosinfin
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey everyone,

I'm in year 12 at the moment and want to make the most of my summer as I really want to apply to Cambridge. I'm interested in the Modern and Medieval Languages course (my subjects are French, Spanish, Latin, English Lit), studying two of French, Spanish and Latin (none are certain).

However, I've been having a hard time finding summer activities such as summer schools for my preferred course. The only summer school that I've found that provides courses even similar to MML is the UNIQ summer school, which I can't attend as I am on a scholarship at a private school. I've looked at Cambridge Immerse, Oxford Royale and many other summer programmes but they don't offer courses in any languages or related to classics/Latin.

Has anyone experienced the application process for MML at Cambridge or Modern Languages in general, who could offer me some advice about how to use my summer wisely? I'm apprehensive about going abroad, especially due to the cost and the fact that I don't know if I may decide to drop one of the languages (which would be a waste if I went to France and decided to study Spanish and Latin).
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
username4486536
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,
Just wondering if you ever found any activities? I’m in the same boat: studying French, Latin, and English Lang at A-Level on a fully funded place at a private school. Can’t find anything and when the rest of my french classmates are spending the whole month of August in Montpellier, it feels like I’m kind of screwed!
mundosinfin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by evantarctic)
Hey,
Just wondering if you ever found any activities? I’m in the same boat: studying French, Latin, and English Lang at A-Level on a fully funded place at a private school. Can’t find anything and when the rest of my french classmates are spending the whole month of August in Montpellier, it feels like I’m kind of screwed!
Haha well I actually never did but just received an offer to study French and Classics at Oxford! All I did over the summer was some reading to help my PS but I suppose going to France would defo help with your language. However, I do understand that maybe the cost is something that would prevent this as it was exactly the same for me
r3320
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
just realised this was a year old - CONGRATS!
Last edited by r3320; 1 year ago
mundosinfin
Rep:
?
(Original post by r3320)
just realised this was a year old - CONGRATS!
thank u <3
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mundosinfin)
Haha well I actually never did but just received an offer to study French and Classics at Oxford! All I did over the summer was some reading to help my PS but I suppose going to France would defo help with your language. However, I do understand that maybe the cost is something that would prevent this as it was exactly the same for me
Good to hear. It is the same with jobs as well in that sometimes you may overthink things when actually it is just better to act naturally!
mundosinfin
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0le)
Good to hear. It is the same with jobs as well in that sometimes you may overthink things when actually it is just better to act naturally!
100% true - although it is beneficial to do whatever you can, it's a matter of avoiding overegging the cake here. There are other ways to succeed at getting offers which don't involve giving enormous sums of money to summer school programmes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.86%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.78%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.55%

Watched Threads