The Student Room Group

Getting into Cambridge e

Would I be able to get into Cambridge with these GCSE results or is there no use?
I got 4 9s, 1 Distinction*, 3 7s and 1 6 in English Language. I want to study Maths and Cambridge (I got a 9) but I haven’t got any shocking achievements. I don’t play any instruments or speak a second language. I’m not looking for false hope so just tell me if I shouldn’t bother applying. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Hisksjd
Would I be able to get into Cambridge with these GCSE results or is there no use?
I got 4 9s, 1 Distinction*, 3 7s and 1 6 in English Language. I want to study Maths and Cambridge (I got a 9) but I haven’t got any shocking achievements. I don’t play any instruments or speak a second language. I’m not looking for false hope so just tell me if I shouldn’t bother applying. Thanks

Btw I know I can get As and A* s for a level but I never really revised for GCSE because my only goal was to get into a sixth form (which I knew I could do regardless) I know it was dumb not to bother but I never thought I’d do this well in GCSE (I expected 6s and 7s). I’m currently doing Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Chem for a levels and got 9s for all this subjects (except fm I didn’t do that)
Everyone applying to Cambridge has good grades or they wouldn’t bother applying, the extras are what will make your application stand out even something as simple as a part time job or volunteering. Applying for maths it doesn’t have to be subject specific although maybe tutoring gsce students could be an idea. Although getting the A’s and A*’s is still important so don’t let your studies suffer just to get the extras. There are plenty of other good universities other than oxbridge although I do get the allure of oxbridge with the reputation they carry it does benefit graduates.
Original post by HobbinsE
Everyone applying to Cambridge has good grades or they wouldn’t bother applying, the extras are what will make your application stand out even something as simple as a part time job or volunteering. Applying for maths it doesn’t have to be subject specific although maybe tutoring gsce students could be an idea. Although getting the A’s and A*’s is still important so don’t let your studies suffer just to get the extras. There are plenty of other good universities other than oxbridge although I do get the allure of oxbridge with the reputation they carry it does benefit graduates.

It’s fine bombarding users with information as it I’m of no doubt it stems from a place genuine helpfulness however one should conclude their advice for added clarity
Reply 4
Original post by HobbinsE

Thank you, I had a part time Job at JL and I recently got a silver in UKMT maths challenge but I hear most Cambridge students get 8 A/A*s but I wasn’t sure if I had a chance since my Distinction* hardly seems to count for anything anyway
Reply 5
Original post by Hisksjd

Your GCSEs aren't that important but are certainly "good".

You don't need to speak in tongues, or be Yehudi Menuhin.

Original post by Hisksjd
Btw I know I can get As and A* s for a level but I never really revised for GCSE because my only goal was to get into a sixth form (which I knew I could do regardless) I know it was dumb not to bother but I never thought I’d do this well in GCSE (I expected 6s and 7s). I’m currently doing Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Chem for a levels and got 9s for all this subjects (except fm I didn’t do that)

That's all fine.

Original post by Hisksjd
Thank you, I had a part time Job at JL and I recently got a silver in UKMT maths challenge but I hear most Cambridge students get 8 A/A*s but I wasn’t sure if I had a chance since my Distinction* hardly seems to count for anything anyway

Work experience is not relevant, the UKMT is fine. And you heard wrong: most have 6 A*s, many have fewer, some have none.

Your maths is by far the most important thing.

At this stage you're on target. Focus on your A-levels, especially the maths. :smile:

The guaranteed way to not getting an offer is by not applying. :yy:
Original post by Hisksjd

UKMT silver is a bit low - have you done the STMC or other maths challenges lower down the school? Which aspects of maths interest you and what reading have you done?
If you’re applying for maths, they will not care about music or extra curricular. Do stuff that shows your passion for the subject like maths competitions or something related. The maths challenges are very good. Most important is knowing the a level. They’re going to probably see how you deal with new questions that use basic concepts that you already know. You absolutely cannot afford to not know the basics. I would recommend putting your a levels first and then super curricular
Maths give out more offers per place than other subjects because they make step 1,1 a condition
Original post by normanofkent
It’s fine bombarding users with information as it I’m of no doubt it stems from a place genuine helpfulness however one should conclude their advice for added clarity

It’s fine commenting on the helpfulness other people comments however one could try posting something helpful to the op instead
Reply 10
Original post by Doonesbury
Your GCSEs aren't that important but are certainly "good".

You don't need to speak in tongues, or be Yehudi Menuhin.

That's all fine.

Work experience is not relevant, the UKMT is fine. And you heard wrong: most have 6 A*s, many have fewer, some have none.

Your maths is by far the most important thing.

At this stage you're on target. Focus on your A-levels, especially the maths. :smile:

The guaranteed way to not getting an offer is by not applying. :yy:

Thank you so much, I started feeling a little discouraged when I was rejected for Durhams Supported Progression and Cambridge Shadowing scheme, to top that my target oxbridge interview went badly so I was starting to think I’m not oxbridge potential 😅
Reply 11
Original post by Hisksjd
Thank you so much, I started feeling a little discouraged when I was rejected for Durhams Supported Progression and Cambridge Shadowing scheme, to top that my target oxbridge interview went badly so I was starting to think I’m not oxbridge potential 😅

The shadowing scheme uses completely different criteria, and is hugely oversubscribed. The same comment applies to the Sutton Trust summer school, in case you are considering that too. (That's not say you shouldn't have a go at it, just to set your expectations :smile: )

Just keep on top of your maths, that really is the most important thing. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Doonesbury
The shadowing scheme uses completely different criteria, and is hugely oversubscribed. The same comment applies to the Sutton Trust summer school, in case you are considering that too. (That's not say you shouldn't have a good at it, just to set your expectations :smile: )

Just keep on top of your maths, that really is the most important thing. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending