The Student Room Group

LSE law or UCL law?

I got an offer from UCL for law and now am waiting for LSE. In the scenario that I get an offer from LSE, it would be a difficult decision to make. I’m also interested in the dual degree programme. Are there any major differences between the two? Which one has a better reputation? graduate prospects? Please help!

Scroll to see replies

The difference between UCL and LSE is very minimal in terms of ranking/prestige. Imo there's little point deciding based on that.
Personally, I'd choose LSE because it's always been like a dream uni of mine (haven't even applied LOL maybe will still have one slot!).

I've heard the social life is better at UCL though.
Honestly just decide based on location in London, social life, etc.

Congrats on UCL tho! I'm very jealous:wink:
Both great Unis, UCL normally ranks higher for law and overall reputation though. But you can't really go wrong either way.
-- time you got tagged, ffs -- might have an opinion.

I would go with LSE because it's harder to get in. And then end up spending 40k on coke to get through the ordeal.

@Alexty28 better reputation by whom? And CUG usually has LSE above. Since 2014, only 1 year where UCL was above.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Alexty28
Both great Unis, UCL normally ranks higher for law and overall reputation though. But you can't really go wrong either way.

According to the complete university guide, LSE is ranked slightly higher actually!

Quick question, does anyone know the LSE offer and acceptance rate? Heard it's 1 in 17 at UCL this year, which is ridiculous. In 2016, it was 1 in 15.
Original post by anonymous1231231
Quick question, does anyone know the LSE offer and acceptance rate? Heard it's 1 in 17 at UCL this year, which is ridiculous. In 2016, it was 1 in 15.

Below 7% according to their admissions.
Original post by Alexty28
Below 7% according to their admissions.

basically same thing then, cool thanks.
Well I want to go into corporate law, does that change anything?
Original post by anonymous1231231
The difference between UCL and LSE is very minimal in terms of ranking/prestige. Imo there's little point deciding based on that.
Personally, I'd choose LSE because it's always been like a dream uni of mine (haven't even applied LOL maybe will still have one slot!).

I've heard the social life is better at UCL though.
Honestly just decide based on location in London, social life, etc.

Congrats on UCL tho! I'm very jealous:wink:

Why do u say LSE is ur dream uni over UCL? (Just out of curiosity)
Does anyone know which uni offers more career support (as in helping students get vac schemes, training contracts, etc)?
Original post by LawApplicant00
Why do u say LSE is ur dream uni over UCL? (Just out of curiosity)

Tbh for a lot of people, or at least a lot of ppl I’ve spoken to, for law it’s like the next best thing after Oxbridge. UCL is also amazing, and tbh it seems strange discussing this without you holding both offers. I’d choose LSE, for my own random reasons, but ngl a lot of ppl would say because of rankings alone.
Although I haven’t heard from LSE yet, I just wanted to know what others think of the two unis lol. I visited UCL a couple of times and really liked it, but haven’t had a chance yet to see LSE, hoping to soon though (as in open days). Are you a current law student?
Not much difference, for law at least. Overall Lse has the better rep and holds more clout. Tell someone about UCL and they’ll think you’re talking about the champions league
Yeah, that’s true. And thank you!
Congratsss! What program are you taking? When did you apply? and What were your grades?
Reply 15
Hey I'm a first year lawyer at LSE - like everyone has said it's a pretty personal choice, try and attend a LSE open day (that's how i made my decision) and see what feel you get from the uni. I know that LSE give you career support for up to 5 years after you graduate, but I'm sure UCL has something similar. I run an instagram page (@in2_law) with my friend who is a first year lawyer at Cambridge - feel free to check it out, it might give you a better insight into the universities.
Original post by Notoriety
@Alexty28 better reputation by whom? And CUG usually has LSE above. Since 2014, only 1 year where UCL was above.

2 years :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest