The Student Room Group

Pharmacist wanting to change careers.

Hi all!

I currently work as a qualified pharmacist (<1 year of experience) and can already feel this career path isn't for me. It's sad that ive spent 5+ years of my life studying and working to realise this but I don't want to spend the next 40 odd years of my career regretting to not change earlier on. I have looked into both community pharmacy as well as hospital and I don't feel optimistic towards either after having had experiences in both.

I guess when I have to evaluate what I really want, its something with a decent career progression in terms of salary. E.g. starting at £25k+ and can progress to perhaps £40k+ within perhaps 5-10 years. I'd highly prefer a job that has a maximum commute time of 1 hour from London with ideally, a standard 35-37 hour week working schedule, which I don't mind being higher during deadlines/busy periods of the industry season. (any flexible working is a bonus!) And if possible, being office based wouldn't hurt either :biggrin: I don't know if I'm being unrealistic but do jobs/careers like this even exist?

Just FYI I have strong A levels in STEM subjects and scored a 2:1 at University whilst studying Pharmacy. I am open to studying again (ideally on-the-job training or supplementary to my job) and filling in any gaps required for new jobs in my own time.

Any suggestions for this poor pharmacist? I am open to careers which may not necessarily fulfill all the requirements but at least the majority (with working hours being more of a priority) :smile:
Thank you!
Have you thought of any Science related Msc/degrees or the internal training routes as i know there are often some on NHS jobs.
Reply 2
Original post by angelseyes
Have you thought of any Science related Msc/degrees or the internal training routes as i know there are often some on NHS jobs.

I was thinking of Health Policy or Health economics related degree but I'm not sure what jobs/careers I can go into after that. Could you please expand on the internal training routes as this is something that I am not familiar with :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 3
what about bioinformatics
Hi there I know NHS trusts advertise themselves for a trainee scientist and they pay you a wage as you train. You have to be on NHS jobs for it.
Hello, I was wondering if you studied the health economic or pursued any other route.Please keep us updated :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending