The Student Room Group

Not happy at my Uni

Hi to all users reading this.

I have just finished my first term at St Andrews and I'm really not happy here. I am finding it very hard being away from home and to be honest I haven't made any really good friends. The problem is I have already taken a gap year so if I dropout I'll be 20 next year when I restart uni again - this time I want to go to a more local uni in London, probably going to apply for UCL, LSE and KCL and just commute in as I already live in London and have the grades for these unis.

I am also very wary of how angry my parents will be as I will still be liable for paying 25% of my fees and will have wasted another year. What should I do? Should I stick it out as I do like my course but I don't like the uni as it's too small, enclosed and very different to a big city life which I didn't expect.
Original post by Nothappy99

I have just finished my first term at St Andrews and I'm really not happy here. I am finding it very hard being away from home and to be honest I haven't made any really good friends. The problem is I have already taken a gap year so if I dropout I'll be 20 next year when I restart uni again - this time I want to go to a more local uni in London, probably going to apply for UCL, LSE and KCL and just commute in as I already live in London and have the grades for these unis.

I am also very wary of how angry my parents will be as I will still be liable for paying 25% of my fees and will have wasted another year. What should I do? Should I stick it out as I do like my course but I don't like the uni as it's too small, enclosed and very different to a big city life which I didn't expect.

are you in first year there or did you skip to second?
Reply 2

Do you really want such a setback when there are steps you can take to change your current circumstances? You can find people to make friends with, you can find a decent place to live there. Surely it’s best to test yourself living in a new environment rather than stick with what’s comfortable. That’s how we grow as people.

Only you can decide if it’s worth it though.
Reply 3

what course?
Reply 4
Original post by dartagnankillian
are you in first year there or did you skip to second?

First year
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
what course?

Philosophy
First year

well that means financially, if you started again at an English uni it would be the same, as unis in Scotland have an extra year. Personally I would apply to those London unis asap via UCAS, because it's not like you have to accept them right away. You can wait until second term ends and see how you feel then, but at least you'll have your options open by having the offers! That's what I'm doing aha, I'm in the exact predicament as you 😊 good luck
Reply 7
Original post by dartagnankillian
well that means financially, if you started again at an English uni it would be the same, as unis in Scotland have an extra year. Personally I would apply to those London unis asap via UCAS, because it's not like you have to accept them right away. You can wait until second term ends and see how you feel then, but at least you'll have your options open by having the offers! That's what I'm doing aha, I'm in the exact predicament as you 😊 good luck

My thoughts too. If you were at the end of the first term of second year in England with a year and a half to stick out I'd stay where you are.

Can you apply to some other universities and try to enjoy the St Andrews experience (go sightseeing, see if you make friends when people settle down a bit etc)? If you start to love it you continue there, if not leave.

If your course would last another three years thats a long time to be somewhere remote.
uni is not for all people.
hmm keep up this year, and try to enroll in another uni next year.
Stick it out I say, St Andrews is a top uni and living away is part of growing up
Ideally, it would be best for you to transfer to a London Uni for the start of second year, as this would not cost you any more money.
What you have to do is look at the modules offered by the London Unis in their Philosophy degrees, and see if any of them are the same (or very similar to) modules in your current Uni. If they are, you might be able to transfer into second year (if they have vacancies) but if not, you might have to start from Year 1 again. I know someone who transferred from Birmingham Uni to Nottingham Uni to study Philosophy, and she was able to go directly into Year 2 because apparently the courses are similar.

Once you have identified courses in London that look similar to your own, you should email their Philosphy Departments and ask if they would consider you for direct entry into Year 2. I expect you have good grades and they will be happy to help if they have a place available.
maybe try to stick it out this year then transfer for next year? then you wouldnt lose a year or any money but could be somewhere better for the rest of your degree!

if you struggle to make friends in a tight-knit community like st andrews where the social life is society-based, you will certainly struggle in the metropolis of London where students will be a minority at any club or pub.

as a Londoner who graduated from st andrews, i loved the adventure of being away from home and there is so much to explore.

the first semester is always the worst because, despite Raisin weekend, the term was heavily condensed a few years ago (exams used to be in January) and the second is where each day gets longer, warmer and lighter

what you need to do is swap catered halls for non-catered, or vice versa.
If your not happy change it life so short and you shouldn't stay somewhere based on money or pleasing others. They is so many other options such as the open university for example if you decide to leave your not limited and still have options but its important you make the right choice for you . Remember its not for everyone and there's lots of routes to get where you want but put you and your mental health first always
Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending