Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The resources online are too detailed and waffle too much and I find the picture diagrams confusing can anyone just tell me the main steps of the nitrogen cycle in order?

From my understanding N2 cannot be used directly by plants so nitrogen fixing bacteria convert it to something else that is all I know.
Last edited by Anonymous1502; 2 years ago
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
The resources online are too detailed and waffle too much and I find the picture diagrams confusing can anyone just tell me the main steps of the nitrogen cycle in order?
http://www.siue.edu/~rbrugam/Nitrogen.pdf
really great source above
username4403404
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lightning splits Nitrogen (N2) leaving single N atoms to react with oxygen to form nitrogen oxides. Nitrogen oxides are washed to the ground by rain and form nitrates in the soil.
Bacteria that fix nitrogen in the soil fix nitrogen gas into nitrogen compounds.

In order to make proteins animals and plants need nitrogen, they cannot get nitrogen from the air as nitrogen is an unreactive gas.
Plants can get nitrogen compounds from ammonium salts and nitrates found in the soil and use this for protein synthesis.
Animals such as cows eat the plants and they release nitrogen through excretion(sweat, breathing) and egestion.
When these animals die, bacteria breaks them down whixh returns nitrogen to the soil.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.21%
No I am happy with my choice (116)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise