Medicine applications gone terribly wrong. Can someone please advise Watch

This discussion is closed.
helphelppls
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I am an international student and my dream is to study medicine. Initially when I applied for 2016,entry, I applied for medical schools in my country but was rejected. After that, applied for 2018 entry for medical schools outside of my country. However, despite applying for 2 years, I wasn't able to get in although I did see an improvement in my applications (perhaps the improvement wasn't enough). My parents gave me some advice back then (after the rejections when I applied for 2018 entry) that I should not start university and do volunteer/ work to show that I am only focused on medicine, but I felt that if I wasn't able to get it then I would have wasted 1 year on top of 2 years of national service from 2016-2018. Furthermore, I felt that my weakness in my applications was the interview so I thought it would be a better choice to start university in September 2018 and study business, a course that would train up my communication skills because of the numerous presentations that business students do, and at the same time apply for 2019 medical school entry. Another reason why I chose business is also because I would rather work in an office than do research.

Recently, it dawned on me that if I am unable to make it for the 2019 entry, then I would need to aim for graduate medicine. However, upon speaking to my parents, they told me they felt that studying business just to improve communication skills and then study graduate medicine is not a very good idea. They told me it may better to change to a biology course to increase my chances of getting into graduate medical school.

I am currently 22, studied university for 1 semester and I am in a dilemma on what I should do now.

1. Quit university. Work/volunteer to show the medical schools that I intend to apply to that I am passionate in medicine. (Some medical schools state on their website that they do not accept applicants who are already studying an undergraduate programme)

2. Transfer to a biology course in my university and aim for graduate medicine. However, this may result in me studying for 1 more semester. (I am currently 22 and by the time I finish the life science course I will be 26-27 because a usual course length in my university is 4 years. After medical school I would be in my early 30s, which is kind of old as compared to others)

3. Continue with my current course and aim for graduate medicine.I have been thinking about this for days and I am not really sure what I should do.

Can someone please advice? Thank you!
Last edited by helphelppls; 7 months ago
helphelppls
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I am an international student and my dream is to study medicine. Initially when I applied for 2016 entry, I applied for medical schools in my country but was rejected. After that, I applied for 2018 entry for medical schools outside of my country. However, despite applying for 2 years, I wasn't able to get in although I did see an improvement in my applications (perhaps the improvement wasn't enough). My parents gave me some advice back then (after the rejections when I applied for 2018 entry) that I should not start university and do volunteer/ work to show that I am only focused on medicine, but I felt that if I wasn't able to get it then I would have wasted 1 year on top of 2 years of national service from 2016-2018. Furthermore, I felt that my weakness in my applications was the interview so I thought it would be a better choice to start university in September 2018 and study business, a course that would train up my communication skills because of the numerous presentations that business students do, and at the same time apply for 2019 medical school entry. Another reason why I chose business is also because I would rather work in an office than do research.

Recently, it dawned on me that if I am unable to make it for the 2019 entry, then I would need to aim for graduate medicine. However, upon speaking to my parents, they told me they felt that studying business just to improve communication skills and then study graduate medicine is not a very good idea. They told me it may better to change to a biology course to increase my chances of getting into graduate medical school.

I am currently 22, studied university for 1 semester and I am in a dilemma on what I should do now.

1. Quit university. Work/volunteer to show the medical schools that I intend to apply to that I am passionate about medicine. (Some medical schools state on their website that they do not accept applicants who are already studying an undergraduate programme)

2. Transfer to a biology course in my university and aim for graduate medicine. However, this may result in me studying for 1 more semester. (I am currently 22 and by the time I finish the life science course I will be 26-27 because a usual course length in my university is 4 years. After medical school I would be in my early 30s, which is kind of old as compared to others)

3. Continue with my current course and aim for graduate medicine.

I have been thinking about this for days and I am not really sure what I should do. Can someone please advise me on what I should do? Thank you!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
What to do if you get four Medicine Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ine-rejections

What to do if you don't get into Medical School : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...medical_school

REad them both - carefully. Then do some honest thinking.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (70)
14.14%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.35%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
18.99%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (196)
39.6%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.25%
No particular grades needed (33)
6.67%