how to forget my old bestfriend

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys I'll keep this short:

Basically I (female) was friends and best friends with this guy from the age of about 8/9 to age 16 for most of secondary school we were especially close but towards the end he started to message me way less and the friendship became really one sided. eventually I messaged him asking what was going on and he just made excuses saying he was getting lots of messages like mine from friends and that he wanted to be friends but didn't want to message or something. from that point we didn't speak at all (this was September 2017) he randomly pops up to me on snap, maybe once every three months but doesn't hold a conversation, in fact the past two times once I replied he just aired my reply, I messaged him once and he straight up aired it?

I tried to get the friendship back a few times but nothinf much came of it.

I go through phases of missing him but it's always there, I think of him pretty much every day, I still have him on Snapchat and on Instagram, should I unfollow him? I feel like I should but I still want to know what he's up to and if he's okay from time to time?

Basically my question is? What should I do? And how should I forget about him?
username4124442
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you want to forget him, basically remove everything that reminds you of him; physically and mentally. Yes, you should unfollow him, and basically get new friends and new hobbies so you have no time to think of him. You'll then forget him as time goes by.... Good luck, worked for me.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Nah sorry don’t listen to this person I’m not gonna say what you feel is more than best friend, you actually see him as family else you wouldn’t really be checking on him as well as racking your brains about him he’s someone you need in your life you need each other to be honest
Anonymous #1
(Original post by lydiot)
If you want to forget him, basically remove everything that reminds you of him; physically and mentally. Yes, you should unfollow him, and basically get new friends and new hobbies so you have no time to think of him. You'll then forget him as time goes by.... Good luck, worked for me.
Yeah you're right I think thats for the best, I'm just finding it quite hard to let go, because he seemed ready to I guess 'out grow me' but I wasn't and I'm still not. Idk maybe I'll do it for new years! Thanks for the advice
username4124442
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yeah you're right I think thats for the best, I'm just finding it quite hard to let go, because he seemed ready to I guess 'out grow me' but I wasn't and I'm still not. Idk maybe I'll do it for new years! Thanks for the advice
Happened to me, it was hard at first i felt soo low,but i realised how great life is without her....
Anonymous #1
I also worry that I'll find myself wondering how he is because I can't look at his socials? Did you find this happened with you?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by lydiot)
Happened to me, it was hard at first i felt soo low,but i realised how great life is without her....
Yeah I can imagine that being really hard, I will do it I think
Jduah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yh Don’t forget him that’s the biggest mistake your making because your here worrying about him never ask people what to do you have to follow your heart
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Jduah)
Yh Don’t forget him that’s the biggest mistake your making because your here worrying about him never ask people what to do you have to follow your heart
Yeah I do agree with that but i'm honestly in such a dilemma, I guess it's less forgetting him because I know that won't happen but more moving on from him. I spent a massive part of my life with him and even now over a year later he is on my mind daily surely that isn't healthy?
Jduah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Look you’ll basically actually put yourself in such a depressive state and nothing comes easy in this life you’ve spent half your life with him so spend the rest there’s always gonna be ups and downs along the way it’s all about overcoming them
Anonymous #1
I think part of the reason why I can't really let go is because I have a lot of built up hurt from when we were friends that I never expressed to him. He was a good friend to me for the most part but towards the end when it started to go one sided, there was never really a conclusive end to our friendship if that makes sense? Whenever he randomly messages me it just brings it all back. I feel like it's much to late to say something to him because he's clearly let go of me and made new friends. But should I?

I guess I just want to know why things went weird and get some closure I guess, but this might just be me making an excuse to talk to him? I can't tell, what do you guys think?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Jduah)
Look you’ll basically actually put yourself in such a depressive state and nothing comes easy in this life you’ve spent half your life with him so spend the rest there’s always gonna be ups and downs along the way it’s all about overcoming them
Yeah you're probably right
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Look it’s good your making excuses to speak to him get the answers you need if you both feel that you can move past the problems do so if you can’t then it’s the best thing not to try to hard never let go of the ones you love
Anonymous #1
bump
Jduah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Talking is the best thing you can do if he don’t want to talk then make him listen
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Jduah)
Talking is the best thing you can do if he don’t want to talk then make him listen
so you think I should, I feel like it would be unfair on him? I'm not even sure what I should say if i'm honest. I saw him accidently in public today so that might be why it's feeling like alot today
Jduah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nothing is an accident God have you a sign which you need to understand it’s unfair on both of you I know how you feel but you don’t know how your male best friend feels he may have all those friend because he’s not good with showing his emotions and doesn’t want to seem weak or soft
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Jduah)
Nothing is an accident God have you a sign which you need to understand it’s unfair on both of you I know how you feel but you don’t know how your male best friend feels he may have all those friend because he’s not good with showing his emotions and doesn’t want to seem weak or soft
Okay it's his birthday tomorrow so I will message him after christmas
Jduah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nah don’t do that message him on his birthday because he will be thinking why you messaging after Christmas instead on my birthday and he will do the same thing to you boys are petty sometimes wish him a good one even post it on your socials so he gets the message and the thing is even if he’s blocked and can’t see it there are people who will tell him that you have on your socials
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Just don’t overthink it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (74)
17.79%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (120)
28.85%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (157)
37.74%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.5%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.13%

Watched Threads