What is more beneficial in life English or Maths? Watch

FoxNuke
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think mathematics is more beneficial. Although, English is widespread, it's not the only language.
Many academic papers are written in Spanish and German. I think studying a non-English language should have a higher importance than studying English, if English is your first langage.

Studying English seems only beneficial to those who want to enter English Literature and the like. Students are usually taught to write academically in university, even STEM students. Stuff like poetry and prose are useless to them.

Maths on the other hand is universal, even when some notations differ, there's seems to be an agreed upon method on how to do maths. Furthermore, mathematians aren't studying what the characters are or the symbols; they're studying the logic behind it. You can pass the same equation to a Spaniard, German or a Briton and they could all figure out what it means.
daisySimpson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Both English and maths are important for human being. Without them, nothing is possible in this world. You learn both subjects from started to professional level.
Laurence863
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MissCarter786)
Realistically, if English was compulsory it wouldn’t be as challenging as it is now as it would be open to everyone of different abilities and honestly you’ve just got to deal with it when something is compulsory.
Yeah but it'd never be, english past gcse is essentially pointless (aside from if you want to enter into an english related field such as language or writing)

I cant imagine having to do english for A level, gcse english is bad enough haha
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
_NMcC_
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
English language to GCSE but that is it.

It's good for communication but Maths is far more useful for describing the world when words fail. Abstract things like Symmetry can't be described as well with words as with Logic and Geometry (Group Theory).

English should not be compulsory at A level as that would spell disaster for Dyslexics like myself and people who generally aren't interested in it academically.

Maths is like a language but it is more like a set of analytical and logical tools that double as a method of communication.
Last edited by _NMcC_; 4 weeks ago
MissCarter786
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _NMcC_)
English language to GCSE but that is it.

It's good for communication but Maths is far more useful for describing the world when words fail. Abstract things like Symmetry can't be described as well with words as with Logic and Geometry (Group Theory).

English should not be compulsory at A level as that would spell disaster for Dyslexics like myself and people who generally aren't interested in it academically.

Maths is like a language but it is more like a set of analytical and logical tools that double as a method of communication.
Honestly, best reponse ive received so far!! Yusss for Dyslexic people!! Gott chuuuuuu!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (110)
19.61%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (230)
41%
Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed