When should I be going to postgrad open days?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm doing undergrad now and I'm in first year. I wasn't worrying about postgrad open days but then someone in the class group chat said they were already looking at postgrad days and even going to a couple in February.
I want to do education postgrad and for undergrad I spaced out all my open days over three years (high school made me go on a few) and I need to go to open days because I have a knee thing that means I sometimes need my crutch so I need to make sure I can actually get places.
Should I be doing open days now? Or is my classmate getting ahead of herself?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm doing undergrad now and I'm in first year. I wasn't worrying about postgrad open days but then someone in the class group chat said they were already looking at postgrad days and even going to a couple in February.
I want to do education postgrad and for undergrad I spaced out all my open days over three years (high school made me go on a few) and I need to go to open days because I have a knee thing that means I sometimes need my crutch so I need to make sure I can actually get places.
Should I be doing open days now? Or is my classmate getting ahead of herself?
If you want to go straight from your undergrad into your postgrad, you don't need to start looking at unis until the end of your second year or start of your third year. That gives you a year to choose and apply to where you want to go. Your friend is definitely being a little too eager, as by the time she gets to her third year, she may have a whole different preference and set of priorities, so seeing univerisities now won't necessarily mean much.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For academic postgrad courses, there's pretty much zero point in going in first year. You won't have even covered the basics of your field to have even the vaguest idea realistically of what area you want to go into. Final year would be the time you definitely want to be going if that's part of your plan, and later in your penultimate year might be reasonable as well.

Given it's for education though, that may change things (e.g. it may be better to go earlier to know what if any experience you may need/want to get in the intervening summers?). 04MR17 might be able to give some advice on education courses at the PG level...
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I want to do education postgrad
Teacher Training? Or MA Education? Or something else?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Teacher Training? Or MA Education? Or something else?
Depends on the institution but most of the ones I'm looking at list it as a PGCE certificate however a couple say MA in Education. Sorry, I know that's not very helpful...
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends on the institution but most of the ones I'm looking at list it as a PGCE certificate however a couple say MA in Education. Sorry, I know that's not very helpful...
Well, obviously this is very early for you, but you do need to think about which of these courses you'd prefer to do because a PGCE is very different to an MA. MA Education is either a continuation of research in education from your undergrad studies, this is what you'd be doing to go onto a PhD with a view to have a career in research. Or MA Education is often used by mainstream teachers to give them career progression into management roles.

PGCE is teacher training. School placements, here's how to teach lessons. And at the end of the year off you go.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Five months into an undergrad degree is not the time to be looking at postgraduate open days. It's a pointless waste of time and money for absolutely no tangible benefit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (171)
44.19%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.27%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.45%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.68%

Watched Threads